1984 Eldorado new exhaust recommendations
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By basscatt
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1984 Eldorado new exhaust recommendations in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I need a new exhaust system in my car and i wanna dual exhaust it do you guys have any ...
    MrMzomB is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Lightbulb 1984 Eldorado new exhaust recommendations

I need a new exhaust system in my car and i wanna dual exhaust it do you guys have any recommendations on any kits or individual parts? thanks yall

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it.
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Re: 1984 Eldorado new exhaust recommendations

GOOD exhaust shop, s/s mandrel bent, look into adaptable CORSA mufflers. New style high flow honeycomb cats (Eastern Catalytic), not the old ceramic bead type. $2500++.

https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts-l...st-system.html

You gotta pay to play.

basscatt is offline Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
    Automobile(s): 2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS's, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by MrMzomB View Post
    I need a new exhaust system in my car and i wanna dual exhaust it do you guys have any recommendations on any kits or individual parts? thanks yall
    =====================
    don't bother -
    dual exhaust for that car will be a custom-made system = VERY expensive -

you will gain absolutely NOTHING -
    zero increase of horsepower -
    zero increase of gas mileage -

as for noise -
    loud pipes on a 4100 powered car is like playing cards in the spokes of your bike -

if you want to see exhaust from two pipes during the winter -
    replace the single outlet muffler with a dual-outlet muffler -
    Phideaux likes this.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.

Years ago I had a '90s Chevy truck muffler installed on my 84 Eldo. Single in dual out. It was a little tight getting around the gas tank on one side. I used early Camaro rectangular tips.

DB2Guy is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '84 Eldorado and Seville

What you will likely find out there off the shelf replacement is Walker exhaust. Not as quiet as the OEM exhaust. A better choice is AP Exhaust which is closer to the OEM. Finding those parts maybe difficult. I know I ordered all the AP parts for my '84 Seville and I had to buy parts from various places to get everything. I did call a place in Chicago but they wouldn't sell me the complete system, only if I was a dealer installer for AP.

Doing a dual exhaust would be a custom job for sure. I'm not even sure on the drivers side if it would be feasible, That side has the load leveling sensor.

I was quoted about $600 for a custom stainless steel system with Walker mufflers I believe.

I would look at replacing the catalytic converter also as the OEM ones usually plug up and reduce exhaust flow.

DB2Guy is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '84 Eldorado and Seville

AP Exhaust

zz00APEldorado.jpg

Drbrown is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Eldo

I agree that paying the price for a dual system would be a waste. Except for the CAT, I replaced the entire stock system on my '84 4100 V8 with Walker parts via Rockauto. The cost was low and I did the job myself without a lift in a short time. I like that the system has a nice deep throated sound. If you like more volume, omit the resonator.

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

The gas tank and frame of this car are set up to allow an exhaust on
    the right side only. To get a pipe on the left, you can either hang it
    entirely underneath the frame, or have a custom gas tank made so
    there is room on both sides.

On my 79, I made a 3 inch single stainless system for a 403 engine.
    Bruce Roe

smokuspollutus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1984 Eldorado Biarritz

My experience

Quote Originally Posted by smokuspollutus View Post
    /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ Hope it works out Scott! /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    While I haven't done much to this car recently, over the summer I installed a new exhaust system from the cat back. I think the info here will hopefully help anyone with a '79 to '85 E-body, save a lot of time, money and aggravation should you ever have to do the exhaust on your car.

Walker is of course the main manufacturer of most exhausts for a car of this age. So if you jump on Rockauto, you'll find selections for most every part of the system, supplied by Walker. This will probably give you confidence and doing an exhaust on one of these big front wheel drivers is not a bad job at all. All good, right?...well, its not that simple...

Cadillac's use 2 mufflers, the standard looking one and a resonator right before the tail pipe. Walker has 2 types of resonators available, the SoundFX and Quiet-Flo. The SoundFX is of course louder than the QuietFlo, and doesn't look the same as the original system. The Quiet-Flo is a little more money but I justified the expense as I like my Cadillac as close to silent as possible. HOWEVER you will notice when you get to the standard looking muffler attached to the intermediate pipe, that Walker only supplies one, the SoundFX. No big deal, figure with the Quiet-Flo resonator it'll probably be only a little more burbly than stock...WRONG, combining the SoundFX muffler with the Quiet-Flo resonator will create a drone/hum/otherwise extremely loud noise that will render the car undrivable-I'm not kidding, your ears will be ringing after sitting inside for a few minutes.

Unfortunately Walker has discontinued their 2297 Quiet-Flo muffler and is in stock nowhere I could find. So if you are bent on keeping an all-Walker system, you can use the SoundFX muffler AND resonator and have no drone, however the car will be a little louder overall. The workaround here is from AP Exhausts, using the MSL 700059 muffler which is the equivalent to a Quiet-Flo 2297 muffler. I elected to keep my Quiet-Flo resonator (fortunately I had clamped the system) and just swap it to the new AP muffler. So far, the drone has been about 95% eliminated and is only barely noticeable driving around 35-40 in 4th gear. So should your E body ever need an exhaust and you want original, I'd go completely AP MSL series. It's their quietest stock replacement system.

91FleetwoodCoupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Fleetwood Coupe (& 1990 Lincoln LSC SE)

I wanted "dual" exhaust too and pretty much got it; I bought a Magnaflow dual outlet muffler with the same sized inlet pipes as the stock one and had it welded in where the stock muffler was with pipes coming out both sides. However, as the exhaust on a 4100 seems to be on the right you may be able to use a similar dual out muffler and have one of the outlet pipes go over to the left side. I just wanted it for the look more than anything. I also replaced the cat with a Magnaflow direct fit cat. I was lucky enough to find these both for about $70 each a few years ago and had them welded in for $130; very happy with my new exhaust for $270. Here's a couple videos showing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDqOeVt-rjs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSukVWmFMbo

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in