F45 Trick - Resistor Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, F45 Trick - Resistor Question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 2002 Eldorado ETC VIN9 230K miles with Northstar Performance SureGrip HeadStuds installed at 215,011 - maintenance not blown HG. HI ...
    Eldorado99ETC is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado Destroyed by Tim Carroll/CCC & 2002 Eldorado Touring Coupe

F45 Trick - Resistor Question

2002 Eldorado ETC VIN9 230K miles with Northstar Performance SureGrip HeadStuds installed at 215,011 - maintenance not blown HG.

HI all, unfortunately it's now time to change my front struts. I have a set of Monroe conventional struts arriving at 7am tomorrow (Fri) morning. I should have time to get it to my mechanic when he opens at 8. Hopefully, he will finish in time for me to have it aligned. I want to drive it Sat morning to Texas to attend a cousins wedding.

I know about the 4.7K OHM 1/2 Watt Resistors that I will need to defeat the Speed Limited to 90MPH Code.

All the RadioShack stores near me closed years ago. The Resistors are also unavailable online.

There is a Ralph's Electronics here and just got back from there all they had in stock was 3 - 4.7K OHM 2 Watt Resistors which I purchased. Before I left they checked and another store about 100 miles from here had some, so they ordered some and were supposed to be there in the morning.

On the way home they called and said that store didn't have any in stock after all. Then the call dropped.

I haven't called them back yet.

I guess my question is, will the 2 Watt Resistors work? Are there any other sizes that will work? They also had in stock the 4.7K OHM Resistors but 1/4 Watt. I passed on them thinking they were too small. Will the 1/4 Watt Resistors work?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Harry Yarnell is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V

Re: F45 Trick - Resistor Question

2 watt ones will work just fine.

Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado Destroyed by Tim Carroll/CCC & 2002 Eldorado Touring Coupe

Thanks. I do need 4 total Resistors, right? This is what I had understood the number I would need - 2 each Strut. If I just needed two Resistors that would be great.

Harry Yarnell is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V

One 4.7k resistor per strut.

basscatt is offline Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
    Automobile(s): 2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS's, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado99ETC View Post
    2002 Eldorado ETC VIN9 230K miles with Northstar Performance SureGrip HeadStuds installed at 215,011 - maintenance not blown HG.

HI all, unfortunately it's now time to change my front struts. I have a set of Monroe conventional struts arriving at 7am tomorrow (Fri) morning. I should have time to get it to my mechanic when he opens at 8. Hopefully, he will finish in time for me to have it aligned. I want to drive it Sat morning to Texas to attend a cousins wedding.

I know about the 4.7K OHM 1/2 Watt Resistors that I will need to defeat the Speed Limited to 90MPH Code.

All the RadioShack stores near me closed years ago. The Resistors are also unavailable online.

There is a Ralph's Electronics here and just got back from there all they had in stock was 3 - 4.7K OHM 2 Watt Resistors which I purchased. Before I left they checked and another store about 100 miles from here had some, so they ordered some and were supposed to be there in the morning.

On the way home they called and said that store didn't have any in stock after all. Then the call dropped.

I haven't called them back yet.

I guess my question is, will the 2 Watt Resistors work? Are there any other sizes that will work? They also had in stock the 4.7K OHM Resistors but 1/4 Watt. I passed on them thinking they were too small. Will the 1/4 Watt Resistors work?

Thanks in advance.
    ===================================
    here ya go -
    a 10-pack for $1.69 - with free shipping -
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2W-5-Watt...53.m1438.l2649

Thanks. Order placed. (I probably should have wrote that the Resistors are unavailable from RadioShack online.)

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

One correct value resistor per strut/shock................. 2 resistors paralleled = 1/2 the rated resistance; 2 resistors in series = twice the rated resistance.

Another place to look is www.partsexpress.com.

When using resistors the value of resistance is the target; power handling ability - Watts - depends on the electrical load drawn by the affected circuit. Circuits with low current flow - F45 in this case - need only small power rating resistors. Higher current loads - F55 - need larger current handling resistors - 5 or 10 Watt.

Sort of like electrical wiring and connectors - the larger the load, the larger the wire/connector.
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in