76' Eldorado Climate Control Issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 76' Eldorado Climate Control Issues in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Good Evening Everyone, I am hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. I am working on the ...
    gjmcguinness is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado Convertible

76' Eldorado Climate Control Issues

Good Evening Everyone,

I am hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. I am working on the A/C & Heater and had problems with the programmer, sent it out for repair as it would not actuate at all. Now, as soon as I start the car it goes right to full heat mode. I have tried to search all of the forums, manuals I have etc. to but still cannot figure this out. I know it points to an electrical issue with the 2 temp sensors and the dial but I have checked these individually and they all appear to have resistance so I cannot seem to pinpoint the issue. If you have any ideas, I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks, Gary

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

sefiro is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville

Re: 76' Eldorado Climate Control Issues

Check the temp sensors in both cold and warm air. The resistance should change. Measure then at reinstallation and again through the wire harness back at the controls. (Harness could be adding resistance)

Thanks for the tip! I did check and they do change the ohms based on temperature changes, I also checked the potentiometer on the controls and it appears to work as well. I am really getting stumped on this one.

Maximln is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2016 XTS FWD Platinum

Going to full heat means something but I cannot remember what! Before you took the programmer out, did it go to full heat? Did you have the programmer rebuilt? I would bet it's still something with the programmer. There are a few parts in there. Off the top of my head I remember a vacuum check valve. Do you have proper vacuum going to the programmer? Also check the circuitry to make sure all the solders are still attached.

Max

Thanks Max for your help, I get it figured out last night. I cleaned the contacts on the sensor on the hood and I think the real issue was that it was too cold in the garage and was changing to full heat. I held the in car sensor to make it think it was hotter and everything came back to the A/C modes. I most have read about this but forgot in the all the time I was trying to figure this out. But, Yes, I did have the Programmer rebuilt as well and that's why it has been driving me crazy! Lol

Gary

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in