Cadillac Owners Forum banner

any need to worry about rain getting in the hood extraction area?

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Richard MacGregor 
#1 ·
so I've had this thing for a year, about 5k miles on it. I try not to drive it in the rain. This being Florida though, and it's now rain season (rains every frickin' day) I have had several occasions where I was caught in a big rain storm.

So, my question is this. Does it hurt anything in the engine bay when rain gets into the extractor? What if it's parked outside (my wife is getting ready to drive it to the movies with my son, and her Denali is super clean, in the garage) and there is a crazy downpour?

Any thoughts?

#2 · (Edited)
I would assume that if there are vents or louvers in the hood there will be baffles/pans/drains built in. It's your responsibility to insure the drains are clean and clear.

The windshield area grille that services the HVAC air intakes hasn't given you any problems, has it?

#3 ·
just drive the car.....GM does worse to the car to test the door seals and window seals...they run it through what looks like a car wash on steroids to simulate storms likely worse than most will see...you car passed the test in the factory, so rain won't hurt it

the only thing water/engine related that is cautioned against is using a pressure washer to detail the engine bay, especially around the electronics boxes in the front passenger side of the engine bay, those high pressure laser beams of water are worse that rain because of the high pressure and extreme concentration of that water

make sure your wife puts the car in "SNOW/ICE" mode every time she gets in it in foul weather

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.