Towing with an Escalade
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Towing with an Escalade in Cadillac Escalade Forums; We're test driving 2011 & 2014 Escalades this week. We currently own a Suburban, but we'd like to replace it ...
    CadillacCamper is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Towing with an Escalade

We're test driving 2011 & 2014 Escalades this week. We currently own a Suburban, but we'd like to replace it with the Escalade. Has anyone had experience towing a 32' travel trailer with an Escalade? If so, how was your experience? We are in the North East and will primarily be towing in VT, NH, ME (lots of mountains). Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

007matman is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Towing with an Escalade

In short.. don't do it.

I have a 2010 and tried just about everything to make it work. I'm now the proud owner of a 2007 F350 Crew Cab Powerstroke Diesel. The Escalade just carries people now.

Just a few of the items I replaced.

2 sets of air ride shocks (yes, 4 @ $250 ea plus labor)
    Full set of motor mounts (350 or so)
    Transmission (thankfully, that was covered under warranty)
    Exhaust Manifold Bolts ($1200)

Upgraded tranny cooler - a must really.

That was the first 9 months towing.

I could go further but I won't.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    nate6966 likes this.

What year is your suburban? Which engine? Are you pulling the trailer today with it?

Honestly, I'm surprised you would be. I'm going to bet you're maxed out on just about every spec.

Snake12345 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade
    I have a 2007 and put in a tru cool 40K. I replaced all shocks with new oem ones and got new springs (lowered vehicle slightly. I also added a front sway bar. Just recently added airlift 1000 helper bags and stoptech drilled/slotted rotors with pads. I have had no issues.
    Bowana likes this.

SpyShops NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 Escalade, 2004 CTS, 2003 ESV, Now 2008 Escalade
    My 2008 2WD Escalade SWB (stock oem parts) does better than my 2016 Tahoe LT 4x4 & 2017 Escalade 4x4. I live in Queens NY & in the last 10 years we experienced record snowstorms & blizzards. My 2WD with 22” was never a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Snake12345 View Post
    I have a 2007 and put in a tru cool 40K. I replaced all shocks with new oem ones and got new springs (lowered vehicle slightly. I also added a front sway bar. Just recently added airlift 1000 helper bags and stoptech drilled/slotted rotors with pads. I have had no issues.
    How much (and what) are you pulling?

Snake12345 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade
    32’ Jayco travel trailer. More than enough power and stopping power with the brake controller. I am sure that I am overloaded but it handles fine.

For me it wasn't a matter of how it handles it. 400+ hp will haul a camper just fine. I also did the brake upgrades and brake controller.

However, get that rig in the mountains pulling 7k and watch that temperature rise. Once it gets close to the 3/4 range you're doing damage.

nate6966 likes this.

Bowana is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade ESV

I have a 2010 Escalade ESV and have had questions and concerns about heat and towing as well. Have talked to several dealers and trans shops and have been told that the OEM cooling system is fine as it has factory cooler for the trans and power steering plus a 5 core rad for the engine. I am only towing a 7.5 X 17 cargo trailer that weighs 2000 lbs plus a 1500# RZR and although power is not an issue I do watch the trans temp rise if towing into a large wind or in hilly country. What the transmission shops tell me is to ALWAYS tow with Tow Haul regardless of the manual saying it is not needed till you hit 7000 lbs. I run in 5 manual and if windy it will not shift out of 4th. RPM's at 60 mph are 2150 in 5th and 2700 in 4th and 9 to 9.5 in 4th and as high as 12 in 5th. If you let the rpm's run up the engine and trans temps stay down but if you push it then both will rise. Dex 6 is a synthetic trans oil and will handle a lot of heat and as long as you can keep it under 220F safe to run that high. Pulling the front clip and installing a larger cooler may help keep the trans temps down and in turn the engine temps as well. If you are not trying to run 75 on the freeway and pay attention I am sure you can pull the 32' with the Escalade. Diesels are nice but cost a ton of money to buy and maintain. Good Luck.

nate6966 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Escalade Lux AWD; 2005 STS N*AWD 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
    For me it wasn't a matter of how it handles it. 400+ hp will haul a camper just fine. I also did the brake upgrades and brake controller.

However, get that rig in the mountains pulling 7k and watch that temperature rise. Once it gets close to the 3/4 range you're doing damage.

Temps rose even quicker for the transmission. The engine seemed to handle a 27' travel trailer fine for us, but the transmission temps were scary when handling a mild mountain pass.
    Yes - I second the issue with suspension and motor mounts. We had to replace both as well.

johninsc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Tru cool for towing for sure!
    My trans barely sees temps of 170 towing my boat. I do about 1800 mile round trip In July to the Keys every year.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by johninsc View Post
    Tru cool for towing for sure!
    My trans barely sees temps of 170 towing my boat. I do about 1800 mile round trip In July to the Keys every year.
    How's those engine temps?

Stays around 198 to 210

I would like to get a bigger boat (6000lb) but I think I'm at my comfort limit with towing that far. It would be fine around town with a bigger boat but I just don't know about that 1800 mile trip every year??

Quote Originally Posted by johninsc View Post
    Stays around 198 to 210
    Not my experience. Towing in Florida was a nightmare for me. Stopping every hour and a half for gas, speed limited to 60, etc had no effect.

I was pulling a 7400lb (loaded) travel trailer.

Two flushes, a new radiator didn't solve it.

What's that thing weigh?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in