2013 EXT - dark transmission fluid
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, 2013 EXT - dark transmission fluid in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I have a 2013 EXT with 93km, I bought it late last year. When I bought it I did not ...
    vicnelson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ESC EXT

2013 EXT - dark transmission fluid

I have a 2013 EXT with 93km, I bought it late last year. When I bought it I did not check the trans fluid. Later I discovered it was very dark (no burnt odor, but dark). Two months ago I had the trans pan dropped and the filter changed (about 6 Qts of fluid). All is well except that the fluid is still dark with a hint of red. I scheduled today to have all the fluid changed out by some sort of machine. I thought this would be a good thing until I found a video about changing the fluid out on very dark fluid. It seems that the muck in the fluid can be the reason that the plates are holding together. I am experiencing no problems and don't want any. Am I setting myself up for a trany failure?

Vic - I moved your question to its own thread. Please do not hijack threads - start your own on your particular problems. Thanks - Sub.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Phoenixx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 19 Escalade ESV Platinum 08 SRX N* 14 Escalade Platinum

Re: 2013 Escalade diagnostic codes, meanings, locations.

Quote Originally Posted by vicnelson View Post
    I have a 2013 EXT with 93km, I bought it late last year. When I bought it I did not check the trans fluid. Later I discovered it was very dark (no burnt odor, but dark). Two months ago I had the trans pan dropped and the filter changed (about 6 Qts of fluid). All is well except that the fluid is still dark with a hint of red. I scheduled today to have all the fluid changed out by some sort of machine. I thought this would be a good thing until I found a video about changing the fluid out on very dark fluid. It seems that the muck in the fluid can be the reason that the plates are holding together. I am experiencing no problems and don't want any. Am I setting myself up for a trany failure?
    "I scheduled today to have all the fluid changed out by some sort of machine"

This machine does a flush, some places do not remove the pan. IMO will never use it except with pan drop. I have mine drained, the pan removed and cleaned and new filter.

Re: 2013 EXT - dark transmission fluid

I appreciate that opinion and agree. My fluid was very dark. I opted for the pan drop and filter change a couple of months ago as a standard service. A 1/3 fluid change did not change the color that much. Some say you need to change the fluidtwo or three times to fully clean the tranny. I then heard of this machine that will EXCHANGE the fluid. So I opted to do that this Friday unless some convinces me that it is a bad idea.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Fluid exchange machines (coolant and transmission, some brake systems) use pressure/vacuum fittings to remove and refill all the fluid in a system. We use them at the Western (Tire &) Auto where I work part-time at the parts counter.

My Explorer goes in Tuesday AM for a coolant exchange .......... did the STS last fall (for the 5th time).

??? Brake systems ??? Yep - brake fluid is hygroscopic: It LOVES water, so 5 year exchanges contribute to long master and caliper cylinder life.

Phoenixx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 19 Escalade ESV Platinum 08 SRX N* 14 Escalade Platinum

I appreciate that opinion and agree. My fluid was very dark. I opted for the pan drop and filter change a couple of months ago as a standard service. A 1/3 fluid change did not change the color that much. Some say you need to change the fluidtwo or three times to fully clean the tranny. I then heard of this machine that will EXCHANGE the fluid. So I opted to do that this Friday unless some convinces me that it is a bad idea.
    When buying used it is hard to know how the vehicle was used. Higher mileage and dark fluid can be concerning. The vehicle could be used for towing or in high temperature areas.
    The first thing I did was change all the fluids and monitor afterward.
    Mine was clean after 2 drains and 2500 miles.
    However, the problem with just draining is that there will be oil sitting all over the place that will not drain. So mixing will occur with adding new oil.
    If after a second time I would go for a flush with disconnection of the lines and another filter change.

Here is a video of a rebuild. But will show how bad things can get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae45uCJF9aU

Thanks. That video was interesting but not very encouraging. I guess it is a crap shoot as to if I will improve the condition of the tranny or do damage. Ever the optimist I will go forward with the flush and keep my fingers crossed.

Forum Question- excuse my ignorance, but every time I go to a new page I get a message at the bottom of my screen about "only secure content will be displayed - what is the risk" or some thing to that effect. It causes my screen to clear and reset which is time consuming and irritating. Is this a forum thing or a browser issue? How do I fix?

Thanks. That video was interesting but not very encouraging. I guess it is a crap shoot as to if I will improve the condition of the tranny or do damage. Ever the optimist I will go forward with the flush and keep my fingers crossed.
    Visited Network Auto Service Center today to have the tranny flushed. The counter person questioned why I wanted the $189 flush and questioned me regarding the color/darkness of the fluid. We went to the vehicle and pulled the tranny dip stick and wiped on a white paper. He said I do not need a flush that the condition is fine. Dexron-VI is synthetic fluid and runs dark and that the shop that did the service two months ago would have told me if the magnet in the pan had picked up any metal. Needless to say I was very pleased that I did not need to spend the money on an unneeded service. I will visit that shop again when needed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in