Rear Axle Seals and Pinion Seals - WTF?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Rear Axle Seals and Pinion Seals - WTF? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Just got off the phone with the dealer who is telling me it is going to cost $500 to do ...
    pilot-werx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Rear Axle Seals and Pinion Seals - WTF?

Just got off the phone with the dealer who is telling me it is going to cost $500 to do one axle seal and the pinion seal. Has anyone done this job before? How hard is it? Does the axle need to be pulled out?

Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

BDuncan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Rear Axle Seals and Pinion Seals - WTF?

To do these two seals correctly, both the axle and third member need to be pulled out. The pinion yoke nut and crush washer need to be set to a torque spec that has an impact on the bearings - it can be done without pulling the third member but since the impact on bearings etc. can't be determined a dealer wouldn't do it that way.

RiceEaterZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Awd 05 Escalade

pinion seals are a pita and involve at least a couple hour's honest work.

guillotm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 Escalade ESV Titanium

500 sounds good to me. Its a lot of work if you dont have the right tools. Would you mind posting a pic of the pinion and axles where it is leaking?

pilot-werx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

I do not have any pictures. I had brought it into the dealer to have the waterpump and instrument cluster replaced compliments of my aftermarket warranty. When I did the brakes a month or so ago I noticed the right rear axle was wet where the axle comes out of the housing. The pinion seal is leaking right where the driveshaft enters the rear diff....

sk7
    sk7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade AWD

Replacing the axle seals is a time consuming and messy job, but it can be done. There's a lot of hardware to remove, and reassembly is just as easy. Put the pinion seal is something else. Bduncan is right about the crush sleeve and adjustement of the mesh of the gears afterwards. I've done it both ways, either reset everything with new parts or replace the seal and retorque the yoke nut with the same crush sleeve with good results. $500 for the job done the right way doesn't sound that bad... Apart from the 3 seals, u need to factor in a new gasket for the diff, lockpin for the G80, and oil. You might want to replace the backing plates while you are in the area if they are rusty. Common problem on our trucks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in