ELR Dash Cam
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Cadillac ELR Forum (2014-2016) Discussion, ELR Dash Cam in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was wondering if anyone has installed a dash cam in thier ELR. I so could you provide some information ...
    Rickkop is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

ELR Dash Cam

I was wondering if anyone has installed a dash cam in thier ELR. I so could you provide some information like make and model and if you're happy with it or not. Any information would be helpful as I have been thinking about it but have not found anyplace in my area that knows much about these. Thanks, Rick
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

Re: ELR Dash Cam

After spending a couple of months researching dashcams I chose the Street Guardian SG9665GC last year and have been extremely pleased with the results.

It's remained on the top ten "Best Bang For the Buck" list here: https://dashcamtalk.com/ for quite awhile. The camera comes with everything you need to do the (easy) install, with extra parts if you want to make changes later. The day/night image quality is excellent. Like everything else out there, you can pay more (or less) but this is the benchmark dashcams are compared to, for good reason. The software is easy to use and I've accumulated a nice collection of near-miss incidents and psychotic drivers. One day, this has a good chance of saving my bacon in court, based on the drivers I've encountered around here. You can display your vehicle moving on a scrolling map with accompanying speed data alongside a view from the windshield.

The camera can be set to automatically record if the vehicle is disturbed (like if someone backs into it) while you're away. It has the upgraded Sony processor and higher quality lens, which justifies the price increase over the generic B40 body you'll see in the comparison list for $70. You get what you pay for with dashcams.

The forum that supports this camera is outstanding. Issues are addressed and resolved rapidly by the vendor who monitors the site 24/7. With the majority of dashcams out there, you'll get minimal support after the sale. Check out their dedicated forum here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/sg9665gc.159/

Mine is hardwired to the ignition. The tiny monitor is preset to OFF, and the only indication the camera is recording is an unobtrusive LED blinking. The microphone is preset to OFF as well.

I highly recommend purchasing the accessory Circular Polarizing Filter to reduce windshield reflections from the dash pad- especially with such a highly sloped windshield as the ELR's.

You can learn the basics here: https://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-buying-guide/

It is sold exclusivle through amazon. Here's the whole kit (minus the optional CPL): https://www.amazon.com/Street-Guardi...rdian+SG9665GC

Note under the frequently Bought Together section below the dashcam is the Cell Power CPUBS01 power adapter; this is what I used to hardwire mine. (Who likes cords hanging off the windshield?!!) I tucked the cable under the headliner and routed it to power coming off one of my 12 volt outlet circuits. From the exterior, the dashcam is not noticeable. The attractive camera body is low profile and discrete, compare it to many competitors cameras that look like GPS units that take up too much real estate on the windshield.

Compare this to the other major dashcams available and I think you'll find it's a nice compromise in price and excellent performance. There are lots of YouTube video comparisons as well; the night shots are very clear - license plate numbers can easily be read.

Don't let the "Made in China" issue deter you. The majority of dashcams are made there or Korea.

Good luck!

CC

Wow this really looks good. Just about what I was looking for. I did not see the Circular Polarizing Filter on Amazon. I can see where this would be an important add on to cut down on glare. Where did you get yours? Thanks again for the info, Rick

I bought mine on amazon (don't see them in stock) but Pier 28 (the vendor) has them here: https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/st...ensor-gps.html

The SD card that comes with it stores around 8 hours of video, which is plenty for my needs. YMMV.

CC

Nihilator is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '14 ELR (Crystal Red "S")

I use the Garmin Dash Cam 20; at the moment it's still installed in my old car, but I want to move it over to my ELR as soon as reasonable. It uses 5V (USB) supply voltage, so I bought a 12V -> 5V adapter. With the adapter, I can tap power from the car's interior wiring rather than use the cigarette lighter power supply.

I like it a lot. I have a 32GB card in there and it records something like 8-10 hours of footage before copying over the old stuff. The version I have uses GPS, and the GPS coordinates and your speed appear on the recorded video, if you want it to. Probably the biggest factors in choosing this one were (1) my brother recommended it, and he knows his stuff, and (2) it's backed by Garmin's name.

Newer versions exist. I might point the 20 out my rear window and put something more recent out the front.

Amazon: Garmin Dash Cam 20 Standalone Driving Recorder

--Chris

The Street Guardian is GPS-enabled too, and like you, I enjoy the way it show's the vehicle location during playback for fun road trips. But honestly, after the initial coolness factor wore off, the only time I interact with the camera is to remove the card when it catches something noteworthy to save to my PC. Otherwise, it unobtrusively does its thing while I do mine.

During my search, I considered Garmin, but didn't want the suction cup mount and square design that looks like I have a pocket cam stuck next to the mirror. The super-low profile and highly rated night/day video quality of the SG (and online video comparisons) sold me. If they made an equally low-profile wireless rear cam, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

The SG comes with a cable cover, so the install is very clean-looking. I placed the GPS antenna to the right of the mirror, just above the Forward Camera Assembly on the black section of the glass with the cable's strain relief entering the headliner, so it's practically invisible. The dashcam is mounted to the left of the mirror for ease of micro-SD card removal and is positioned so the end of the cable cover is against the headliner. The installation looks stock.

This sounds just like what I'm looking for. Something with the stock set up look. Do you leave it in the car all the time? What about the summer heat? Does it mess with the unit? If you're able could you post a photo or two to give the rest of us an idea what it looks like? Rick

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V (red), 2009 CTS Premium Sedan (red), 2016 ELR (silver)

For anyone who tapped into the car's wiring instead of using the lighter for power, where did you find the most easily accessible power?

Raza is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ELR

Reviving the thread ... are you able to share some pictures of your install?

Especially the hardwiring to the ignition?

coffee4matt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 16 ELR Crystal White/ Ebony

I think it's done under the dash...I bought a new Street Guardian on Amazon on Cyber Monday several years ago based on CCCClarke's recommendation above, and it's still new in the box on my shelf!
    One of these days I may finally take it to a professional stereo installer - I don't want any cords to be visible anywhere and all the plastic trim to be resecured like factory finish...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in