Comparing interiors
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Deafsoundguy
Cadillac ELR Forum (2014-2016) Discussion, Comparing interiors in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Yesterday I had to stop by JLR to get a service appointment for my wife's F-Pace headlight issue. When you ...
    Deafsoundguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2016 ELR

Comparing interiors

Yesterday I had to stop by JLR to get a service appointment for my wife's F-Pace headlight issue. When you pull in there's a lot of really nice looking Jags and Land Rovers to see and it is impressive. While we were there, we looked at the interiors of all the nice models. While all are nice, you can see the move to more simplistic dashboard designs, especially on the LR's. Even with the new I-Pace electric, my instantaneous opinion was that the ELR is way nicer than all of models they had to see. Even my wife agreed, you just can't beat the wood, carbon fiber, and suede like appearance all the way around - and nice leather to boot.

I've only had this car 2 months but I am so spoiled by the interior quality, that interior look, and the regen paddle, It would be hard for me to want to drive anything else. I don't have to have a 5 sec 0-60 time and I have a van for big loads. I consider myself lucky I was finally able to nab one of these cars!

Yesterday I had about a 120 mile day. Some good roads, some stop and go and some hideous traffic not to mention lots of hills and valleys. Being able to switch back and forth from D to L, and activate Hold mode and Mountain mode whenever I wanted to save my electric range was so great and reminds me of how sucky the federal mandated law that made the US i3 not be able to access the generator until the battery was done . Pulled in with 1 electric mile left. So impressed with the car so far.
    DBeaSST and NostraD like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

m_eaton53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum

Re: Comparing interiors

There is no cheapness in an ELR interior.
    My XTS Platinum, although very nice and quite luxurious, is no ELR inside.

IMO, Jaguars used to have far nicer interiors than they have now. Every time I sit in one I say "Where's the wood?"

Even a lowly X-type (I'm a former Jagwagon owner) had a whole lot of it and high quality leather as well.
    IMO, that car got piled on unfairly by lazy reviewers who just parroted each other's "It's just an AWD Mondeo" narrative.
    I found it to be a quite pleasant and useful car. Mine didn't break, either.

You are correct about Jags, except maybe the XJ line as they stayed expensive and still look pretty world class. Our 2000 VDP had the best interior ever as far as wood and leather...no carbon fiber though and I don't think you could get the suede look at that time... But adding real wood apparently adds a lot of cost. I remember that it cost $4000 for a replacement wood package for an XJ, at least in the past it did and that was for my 95 VDP - Yikes! And you can't get carbon fiber and wood together - . If you want the carbon fiber now on the doors and dash it's another $1600. Right now barring exotics maybe, I think just the Bentleys and Rolls have spectacular interiors to choose from, and of course only for the rich and famous/infamous. As much as I love the Jag FType, I mean they are beautiful cars, the interiors with no wood available are a serious bummer for me, I'll stick to my burled walnut XK.

Did some reading last night. They say that the market is going to pure EV's and plug-in hybrids are going away (with a graph to prove it). I don't think there's ever going to be another ELR or anything even close to another ELR. So that makes any pure EV with luxury interior really expensive or pure EV with no luxury interior affordable, and uh...cheap looking. It's a shame, but I realize that myself and the people who buy an ELRs are not your average Joe and we're certainly not going to shape the market with our backup ReX wants. There's a quite a few people on the I-Pace forum who say they'd love the backup ReX option, but I don't think Jag will ever do it, and we'd be lucky to see BMW do it and they have tech down pretty well. On a side note, I saw the new BMW SUV yesterday - ugh what a pig looking car. But all in all, I seriously doubt I'll ever see an affordable luxury (not dated) interior again that can match the ELR tech and looks at the same time.

I guess that means a world where we ELR owners get to drive cars that look unique, far, and few! And that's okay!

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V (red), 2009 CTS Premium Sedan (red), 2016 ELR (silver)

I don't think BMW faced a federal mandate. I think they got more credits for the i3 if it had a shorter gasoline range than its electric range. So they took the European version and software limited the amount of fuel the scooter motor could use in the U.S. versions.

They for sure electronically limited the fuel tank to 1.9 as at 2 gallons they don't get the credit. However, the fact that the generator won't turn on was/is the basis of a class action lawsuit. I thought I read that the feds were in the mix, and they didn't want you to turn on the gas until it was absolutely necessary and both credits and the feds were intertwined together. Could be wrong, I thought that's what I read... whatever the case, it sucked that you can't turn on the generator on the i3. Supposedly they were supposed to fix that by making it so if you actually entered a destination via nav, and it took you over hills, THEN the ReX would automatically turn on and make it not so bad, but as far as I know that never materialized....

hightech-guy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

There was a similar legislative situation with the early Volts which lacked Hold mode. It was not present on the first released model year(s), but GM was able to do it later for the 1st generation, and carried over to the ELR and 2nd gen Volts. Early Volt owners had to do tricks to kinda get that function, and the engine does run with the hood open (switch released).

Good to know, I didn't know that - although that being said - total Voltec newbie here. Having the 4 modes and D and L is just the greatest. I guess the only thing missing is JATO mode for rocket assisted takeoffs!

Speaking of being in the inside...

as gimmicky as it sounds, since actually replacing the motor with a big one for high performance (as in i8 type gas/electric hydrids) would have been prohibitively expensive, if you could instead select a deep throaty roar pumped through the car speakers to emulate and mask the generator sounds, then it would be perfect!

hightech-guy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The main issue with the generator sound/vibration/harshness is that it is out of sync with the actual vehicle acceleration. You can be coasting or going slow (sometimes even sitting still) and the generator ramps up to high RPM (and sound) to predict the upcoming charge you are going to need. The 2nd generation Volts improved that - much more in sync.

The ELRs are a somewhat special Voltec incarnation in-between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Volts, with the 2016 ELR's getting the Sport combo battery/generator high acceleration mode that no Volt has (or will) ever see.

That makes total sense.... I never thought about the vibration being different but that really does make for a different reality.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in