Important info to know if you buy wheel center caps
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ELR Forum (2014-2016) Discussion, Important info to know if you buy wheel center caps in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So I just bought and put on glorious gloss black wheels for my ELR. The silver center cap assembly would ...
    Deafsoundguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2016 ELR

Important info to know if you buy wheel center caps

So I just bought and put on glorious gloss black wheels for my ELR. The silver center cap assembly would look stupid against the black wheel so I ordered the black center caps with colored emblem off ebay for the ridiculous price of $38 apiece. They do say GM inside so I assume it's a genuine part. These are just the center caps, NOT the whole cap assembly that would cover the lugnuts too. Driving around with no caps was killing me....yeah first world problem I know.

So they come yesterday and I'm as excited as a 13yr old girl with a new cell phone. I go out to put them on the wheel and they go in all right but have a seriously loose fit. Total buzzkill. They are the right diameter, but they have almost 1/4" of play between in and out. Well that sucked

When I pulled off the whole original center cap assembly I noticed that the piece that has the mounting tongs (whatever those things are called) looks like 1 pc and then is surrounded by a the metal outside which is then clipped on all the way around the part. The center Cad emblem is then showing through the doughnut hole center. Well, it looks like the new black center cap I bought from the seller is meant to go through an assembly to fur it out (actually in) and give it the reduced depth it needs.

So, what to do? I would need some sort of spacer, or pray that the center original piece comes out of the whole assembly and then get the surround painted, dipped or wrapped. But at this point the idea was to enjoy the look of the non cover look with the painted lugnuts and smaller black colored Cad emblem. The only thing I could think of was a large rubber O-ring that would fit around the tongs and be thick enough to reduce the gap depth. So I did what anyone would do - I went to Home Depot! I swear you can find ANYTHING there if you look hard enough. I went straight to the faucet repair section. Lo and behold at the bottom of the shelf you can buy a "Large O-Ring Assortment - #2" . Unbelievable! Sure enough, I found an O-ring that fit perfect around the outside of the tongs and another that was a little bigger than needed but would still work if it was tight against the wheel.

I bought 2 packs so I'd have 2 perfect sizes and 2 of the slightly bigger ones well because they only had 2 packages and not four... But anyway I put the gasket on, went out to my car and they fit freaking perfect!!! They fit tight and look like they were made for the application. I thought I'd post this in case anyone ends up buying those little guys and goes black wheels. here's a picELR black center cap w gasket.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Indygreg is online now Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Important info to know if you buy wheel center caps

I love the Info!!! What gasket fit best? I'll try this with mine (I did the same thing as you)

Thanks man you are a great resource to this board!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Indygreg View Post
    I love the Info!!! What gasket fit best? I'll try this with mine (I did the same thing as you)

Thanks man you are a great resource to this board!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the comment. The Home Depot assortment bags come in three sizes. The #2 package has the one(s) you need. There's like 8 or 10 O-rings in there. There's no two that are the same, but package to package they are the same sizes. I would have bought all four packages to get 4 exact O-rings but they just had the 2. But the next size up works fine, you would never be able to tell. They packs were like $5.67 apiece I think here in Priusville/Subaruland. They were literally at the very bottom, hard to see but they carry them. I figured the first place to look would be the faucets since faucets have lots of little O-rings.

I sure don't know what I'm going to do with the rest of those fine gaskets, but maybe I'll gauge my ear lobes and use them for liners.

It was roughly the middle 2 gaskets out of the assortment.

loomis2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 16 ELR

It looks like you found the correct solution. Here is my cap, which I assume is stock, for comparison: IMG_20190525_143605.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by loomis2 View Post
    It looks like you found the correct solution. Here is my cap, which I assume is stock, for comparison: IMG_20190525_143605.jpg
    That is really weird, your cap looks the same but is way in farther. I wonder if there was a special shorter depth cap for wheels that came black? You can clearly see my cap is spaced out almost a 1/4" more than your cap... I don't really care as long as it works and is tight... the O-ring I used is pretty thick and looks like it will last a long time.

Thanks for your post and comparison photo

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in