What are you guys getting for gas mileage when not electric?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ELR Forum (2014-2016) Discussion, What are you guys getting for gas mileage when not electric? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The ELR seems pretty conservative so far. I am consistently getting 47 to 48 miles electric without really trying. I ...
    Deafsoundguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2016 ELR

What are you guys getting for gas mileage when not electric?

The ELR seems pretty conservative so far. I am consistently getting 47 to 48 miles electric without really trying. I am now making trips to go see my mom which is about a 87 mile round trip. Averaged 45 to 60 mph when not in the inevitable traffic jams because I took off in rush hour .

Last night I was able to split the trip within 1 mile half electric and half gas. When I got back I had 3 miles left on the battery, and the display said I got 76 mpg and used 1.1 gallon of petrol (premium). From what I could tell I got (including what was left in the battery) 47 miles electric and over 35 mpg gas. Is this what you guys see?

I don't even notice the generator unless I'm going up a big hill and I use mountain mode and hear it come to life or stomp on it going uphill and hear it rev higher. I have no complaint on generator noise, it's not as bad as the i3. From what I read, the 16's have better noise dampening?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

hightech-guy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: What are you guys getting for gas mileage when not electric?

Check out https://www.voltstats.net/elr for various other users MPGcs. Also has a page for the Volt which has more data. In my experience 35 MPG is obtainable at the speeds you mention, closer to 30 MPG is more typical on the highway at 75MPH - depending on temperature and other conditions. The ELR (and Gen 1 Volt) are respectable MPG gas cars, not great but not horrible.

FYI - Mountain mode is for use before you go up the hill. The purpose of Mountain mode is used to pre-charge the battery before a long climb, as the electric motor(s) and battery combo has much more power than the engine can provide. If you run out of battery power while going up a long steep hill, you will get a message that performance is limited - if you try to go over a certain speed for an extended duration. That's what mountain mode beforehand is intended to avoid. Here is the excerpt from the manual...

"Use Mountain Mode prior to climbing long, steep grades in mountainous areas. Be sure to engage Mountain Mode 20 minutes before starting to climb. Mountain Mode reduces electric range and power, but may be needed to maintain speeds above 100 km/h (60 mph) when climbing grades of 5% or greater."

I never saw anything regarding better noise dampening for the generator in 2016. Noise opinions are subjective, but those with both a Volt and ELR (2014/16) have said that the Volt is actually quieter than the ELR. If you search the forum you'll find lots of people new to the ELR who think the car is broken and screaming, with the engine ready to jump out of the hood. I never found the ELR generator to be quiet around town, but perfectly ok when on a highway with road noise. Easy to get spoiled by the quietness of the electric drivetrain.

Deafsoundguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: What are you guys getting for gas mileage when not electric?

I only brought up mountain mode in regards to increased engine noise as it immediately goes to a certain RPM and is obviously noisier than "normal" rpms that I'm hearing in gas mode. Either way the generator doesn't bother me, I hardly notice it at all when actually driving the car. Funny that if a (normal) car was a standard gas guzzling performance engine you'd hear a lot of engine noise let's say when you smack it to the floor to get up that hill... But it would be the sound of your maybe "liked" engine sound, as in "throaty". That brings up the idea for the ELR that maybe if desired (a preference switch), a soundtrack could be played (automatically) when the engine is suddenly needed for acceleration in sport mode or mountain mode to simulate a normal throaty engine, that would add the necessary tone to emulate a performance engine. The Jaguar I-Pace allows this as a preference for those who like a engine sound in the cabin or maybe to entertain your Porsche freak buddies who just live for engine sound. Although I don't believe you can turn it up or down, which sucks.

Regarding the additional dampening of the engine compartment, you're probably right. I could swear I read that Cad added additional gizmos to help minimize vibration and noise on the 2016. I looked briefly but couldn't find anything to back that up. I find it funny that Cad would do all the performance things they did for 2016 especially substantial suspension improvements and everything else, and yet would not address the complaints of the generator sound when that could be resolved pretty easy and without much cost. When it comes to the masses, I would think that lowering the generator sounds would benefit any and everyone, while such performance upgrades for handling is only appreciated by the few who slam their cars around corners at speed, which I doubt many on this forum do.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in