Should I drive a different car in summer?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ELR Forum (2014-2016) Discussion, Should I drive a different car in summer? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I live in Palm Springs where the summer temperatures are 104-108+F. Should I drive a different vehicle in the heat? ...
    dougqualls is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Brougham, 2009 DTS, 2014 CTS Coupe

Should I drive a different car in summer?

I live in Palm Springs where the summer temperatures are 104-108+F. Should I drive a different vehicle in the heat? Is it a good idea to plug in the ELR as soon as I get home, or should I let it sit a while (mind you, it's 103F out just now.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

m_eaton53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum

Re: Should I drive a different car in summer?

Quote Originally Posted by dougqualls View Post
    I live in Palm Springs where the summer temperatures are 104-108+F. Should I drive a different vehicle in the heat? Is it a good idea to plug in the ELR as soon as I get home, or should I let it sit a while (mind you, it's 103F out just now.)
    GM's EVs have excellent battery temperature management. No EV is easier on batteries than Voltec. Nothing to worry about.
    It would be a different story entirely if you had a Leaf.

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V (red), 2009 CTS Premium Sedan (red), 2016 ELR (silver)

I'd definitely plug it in whenever possible (even if it's set to delayed charging) so it can climate control the battery. Other than that, you should be just fine.

Another forum member was complaining about his cracked CUE screen. It sounded like it might have been sun/heat related. You might also consider using a sun shade when you're parked, parking in the shade, or using a car cover when you can. Knock on wood, I haven't had any trouble with mine, but I do cover my car.

Deafsoundguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2016 ELR

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    I'd definitely plug it in whenever possible (even if it's set to delayed charging) so it can climate control the battery. Other than that, you should be just fine.

Another forum member was complaining about his cracked CUE screen. It sounded like it might have been sun/heat related. You might also consider using a sun shade when you're parked, parking in the shade, or using a car cover when you can. Knock on wood, I haven't had any trouble with mine, but I do cover my car.
    Reciprocity, how does the battery get climatized in hot weather by plugging it in? Does that just mean that fans kick in to keep it cool? If it's already hot out I was wondering how that would help unless there's some sort of AC going on but that seems unlikely. If you had any further info I'd like to know!

I actually could see at least one screen was checking (on bottom half) on one of the ELRs for sale when I was looking for one to buy on Cargurus. I do believe it was a Texas or Florida car though, which is why I wasn't considering buying one from either of those 2 states or Arizona. I'm sure there's garaged ones that are great, but didn't want to take the chance. And it wasn't just the CUE screens, you know the dash and etc have been exposed to some pretty hot weather and I want my ELR to last me, I'm pretty sure I'm going to own it a long time! That Covercraft sunscreen should be here anytime I hope...

jayoldschool is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS SportWagon

Yes, the fans will come on to cool the pack. The pack has a thermal blanket, it will not get up to ambient in hot weather. Keep it plugged in, let it do its job. Windshield sun cover, car cover, and window tint will all help. Garage will be best, of course.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in