Is this true?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ELR Forum (2014-2016) Discussion, Is this true? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was reading the digital brochure that Greek300 nicely posted about. I was reading a little more carefully and the ...
    Deafsoundguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2016 ELR

Is this true?

I was reading the digital brochure that Greek300 nicely posted about. I was reading a little more carefully and the brochure states:

"ACTIVE AERO GRILLE SHUTTERS
    Dynamic design. Active aero grille shutters automatically close at highway speeds to maximize aerodynamics and open at lower speeds when additional cooling may be required."

Is that true? What part is actually closing? It seems like a solid one piece deal. Anyone know about that?

If that was true, that would be pretty cool...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Greek300 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2016 Cadillac ELR white

Re: Is this true?

ironically, I asked about this at the dealership and got a long blank stare so no idea...

Deafsoundguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2016 ELR

It is true after more research. It's mentioned many times regarding the ELR and many other GM products. It behind the grill so it's not like it becomes this layer of glass over the existing grill or something that plugs the small holes that are there from an outside view. The ELR already has a flush grill so I can't imagine how more that the active shutter behind the grill could make a difference but I'm not going to complain ! Here's from GM:

"Aerodynamics play a crucial role in the design as airflow is managed to help the vehicle slip through the air with minimal drag. A flush front fascia and grille – with active shutters behind the grille opening – as well as tapered fascia corners, enable air to move easily around the car to reduce drag. In the rear, sharp edges and a carefully designed spoiler also manage airflow. An aggressive rake on the windshield and back glass help reduce turbulence and drag and contribute to ELR’s 0.305 coefficient of drag."

here's a shot from someone with AGS from a CTS. You can see the shutters.

Behind the grill.JPG

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V (red), 2009 CTS Premium Sedan (red), 2016 ELR (silver)

It's the lower portion of the grille (below the bumper) that opens and closes. The shutters are behind the black plastic, so you probably wouldn't notice the difference unless you bend down and look inside when they're closed. It helps the car be more aerodynamic, and (I assume) allows it to keep the coolant warmer in cold weather.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in