Horrible past reviews on the ELR
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ELR Forum (2014-2016) Discussion, Horrible past reviews on the ELR in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm sure there's got to a be a lot of people who find this forum if they're thinking about buying ...
    Deafsoundguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2016 ELR

Horrible past reviews on the ELR

I'm sure there's got to a be a lot of people who find this forum if they're thinking about buying an ELR. I always loved the look of the car and made the plunge when the price got down to "got to have it" levels. It would seem this is the second round of lease return times, this time for the 2016. And so like me, I'm going to bet that there's going to be people researching the car, reading the forum posts about problems. I have learned so much reading back through all these posts.

Have any of you read some of these reviews on these cars? Some are SO bad. There's one 2016 ELR review that rant about everything and give the pros and cons (mostly cons) and then have the nuts to say they haven't driven one yet!!! What the hell? And then there's the guys who complain about stuff like smaller trunk when the Tesla is about the same and don't mention it in any like Tesla review. And then there's the guys who complain about the rear seats how horrible it is you can't put any NBA players back there. Well of course, that's not what the car was designed for. At least you CAN put shorter ADULTS back there unlike most 2+2 models like my XK which you could only sit maybe a smaller 10 year old or younger. The ELR makes my XK look like a shoebox behind the seat. I could go but the point is that I feel like most ELR reviews were poorly written. And then you look at the reviews by the people who own them and see like 5 out of 5 stars consistently. The only guys who complain are the guys who obviously must be blind that couldn't tell the rear head room was less or the fact that the ELR isn't a pickup truck.

I just can't stand reviewers who review a car and review it like it was a different car for a different purpose. The ELR is a very specific vehicle. I know it's not for everyone. It's for 1 to 2 people, 2 more in a pinch or shorter individuals and it's not a pickup. If you want a muscle car, don't buy it - buy a muscle car and start pouring gas down it's throat. Just have to have that electric range and have to get a Tesla? - go ahead and wait until your suspension failure happens. I hope you're rich because suspension parts on a Tesla are out of this world expensive. I know a Tesla mechanic. After what he has told me - I would never buy one unless they make one as nice looking as the ELR and I win the lottery.

If anyone out there is contemplating buying a used 2016 ELR - do not go by the reviews unless they're from people who own the cars. I am liking the car more every day. So glad I bought it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

ccclarke is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

Re: Horrible past reviews on the ELR

Ridiculously high MSRP and lack of content, (no HUD, cooled seats/heated rear seats, etc.) compared to similarly-priced Cadillacs doomed the ELR right out of the starting gate. The ELR is essentially a Volt in a tux. @ $50k, it might have had more of a chance, but that's water under the bridge. Gorgeous? - you bet! --but so was the XLR and it suffered the same fate, --only it lingered for six years. Looks will only take a car so far at that price point.

When GM starts pricing their products for >$70k, they better be worth it. There's plenty of competition for that amount of money and it takes more than a storied name to execute a best-selling vehicle. A two-year production run is ample proof GM completely dropped the ball with this vehicle, and as far as I know, that's the worst showing for ANY Cadillac in the last twenty-five years; maybe fifty.

ELR production numbers speak for themselves; especially when compared to the Volt (also discontinued with the 2019 MY after failing to meet its target numbers) which was more popular sales-wise. I'm glad you like your car; in your case, that's all that really matters. The buying public doesn't share your enthusiasm however.

Loveldos is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillacs: '13 CTS Cpe, '71 Eldo Conv

I have had the opportunity to speak with two ELR owners and both of them LOVED their ELR's. The ELR is definitely the best looking electric vehicle ever built. The interior was "top notch" in appearance and quality--I sat in it at the dealership. When I had just considered purchasing an ELR, the announcement came that it was being discontinued. It is a "cool" car with instant collectibility! It seems modern enough, in styling, for Cadillac to make slight enhancements and to bring it back again (including a factory sunroof)--with proper marketing and pricing it would do quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
    Ridiculously high MSRP and lack of content, (no HUD, cooled seats/heated rear seats, etc.) compared to similarly-priced Cadillacs doomed the ELR right out of the starting gate. The ELR is essentially a Volt in a tux. @ $50k, it might have had more of a chance, but that's water under the bridge. Gorgeous? - you bet! --but so was the XLR and it suffered the same fate, --only it lingered for six years. Looks will only take a car so far at that price point.

When GM starts pricing their products for >$70k, they better be worth it. There's plenty of competition for that amount of money and it takes more than a storied name to execute a best-selling vehicle. A two-year production run is ample proof GM completely dropped the ball with this vehicle, and as far as I know, that's the worst showing for ANY Cadillac in the last twenty-five years; maybe fifty.

ELR production numbers speak for themselves; especially when compared to the Volt (also discontinued with the 2019 MY after failing to meet its target numbers) which was more popular sales-wise. I'm glad you like your car; in your case, that's all that really matters. The buying public doesn't share your enthusiasm however.
    I totally get it - as I was one of the masses in 2014 who waited for the ELR and realized that I couldn't afford one (and bought a 2014 i3 instead). It's too bad that this car can just never get over that stigma and history of being too expensive (especially the 2014). But the whole point of writing about the bad reviews is that it's NOW, not then... now is lease returns on 2016 ELRs which as anyone on this forum knows have significant upgrades, enough to where for me personally, it was worth paying a lot more money for the extra acceleration, upgraded handling and CUE system, plus reduced generator noise and vibration. It is as fast as my i3, even though it's like 800lbs heavier with 100 times more luxury.

Anyone out there who is looking for an (obviously) used ELR, is looking to see how the car is in the eyes of the people who drive them. Price when new, makes zero difference, other than making that new owner smile when you realize you get to drive an amazingly nice car with great technology for less than half the cost of new, possibly getting your sweet ride in mint condition.

There's no car like the ELR- flat and simple - You can't drive any other luxury car down the road and decide just whenever you want that you can choose between gas or electric at the touch of a button. THAT - is so cool... okay maybe Volt owners are used to that but personally I could never own a Volt based on the looks of the car, which leaves - only the ELR. Personally I don't care how much range electric cars get - I want the satisfaction I can go gas at the moment I desire (thanks BMW for making that impossible) and the car will run equally as good with either system (thank you BMW for making my poor i3 go into the "i3 Limp of Shame" if you're out of battery and the generator can't keep up going up that hill ). It's sad that the general masses who for the very large part are totally in the dark on electric cars, don't get, nor appreciate the effort and decision that the Voltec designers made to have a car that can go either way - equally. I could care less now that my ELR gets half the range of the i3, the fact that I can switch to gas whenever I want while driving and appreciating the interior is a no-brainer for me anyway. Plus, the ELR goes down the freeway, way smoother...

Since the history of the car has made undeniable the fact that the car was too much money when new, I'm going to, and anyone else is going to use that to their advantage and get an amazing car at cheap prices, all the while guaranteeing that I won't see another one in my neck of the woods. Another reason I bought the car because I like unique quality cool things!

Bottom line, I think mankind needs to get over the price history and celebrate the deals that can be had on these rare cars. I have a feeling I'm going to have this car a long time

black93 is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Sure this car might not be for everyone. But it was the only one that fit both my wife and my needs. I like cars that look good ride and handle well with a good interior. She wanted a hybrid that would qualified for a HOV sticker in Calif. Since there is only the two of us the ELR was perfect. We ended up with a 2014 red with kona seats and it was a S code. Had to get it from Texas because all the ones we looked at in Calif would lose the HOV sticker in 2019. Still learning about all the electrical gadgets but LOVE the car

1415CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS 3rd Gen Steller Black on Platinum Lux
    What’s the problem w the 16 ELR?? I am strongly considering buying one. I agree w the poster, I’m not looking for the BS about “GM dropping the ball” - frankly that’s part of the reason I want one and the reason why smart folks buy one. It’s good biz to exploit the fact when someone like GM makes a mistake to your financial benefit. Sounds cruel, but it’s biz and it’s true. So what’s the rub guys w these things? (owners only). The 14 is so much cheaper and I wanted to specifically know if one could update the software on a 14 to a 16? Anyone ever heard of that?

What you guys think of this deal - $36900 - 6k miles lease return. Gotta go to Ohio (in MN) to get it and I’m going to part w my latest gen CTS (LOVE that car) but I know I won’t drive more than 30 miles a day so I’ll use virtually no gas. Will it save me $? Probably not a lot but I just love the fact of never having to go to support the clowns at the gas station again - at least not for that car.

Do you guys think that’s a fair deal- or would you wait. Cars.com says it will sell in 10 days? Mmm? Are these that hot? I know they are rare, but $37k got a used caddy is frankly my negotiated price for my old stock NEW 14 CTS w a 57k sticker. The CTS were also overpriced out of the gate. Just not as much.

Thanks in advance guys!! I look forward to hearing from you all that have them! 😊

coffee4matt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 16 ELR Crystal White/ Ebony

A little over 2 years ago I flew from So Cal to Michigan to buy a white 2016 ELR w/ only 5,000 miles on it, paid $40,000 from a private party seller. Hands down best car I've ever owned, and I 've owned 29 cars beforfe this, many that I loved a lot. I now have 40,000 miles on it and it still makes me smile whenever I drive it. Life to date I'm averaging 202 mpg (and 76 MPGe), but since my boss installed a 240V level 2 charger at work a few months back I now go 100% electric in BOTH directions on my 32 mile one-way daily commute, so every day I get another "999 mpg" and every week my cumulative mpg goes up another 2-3 mpg. Last time I put gas in the tank was October 2018, 6 months ago. It only has a 9 gallon tank, and I still have 2 gallons left after 6,000 miles on the same tank!! (GM was smart enough to have the computer run the engine in idle mode periodically after weeks of non-use of the gas engine, to burn off the gas before it gets too stale or the plugs or injectors get fouled from non-use. I really love that I could drive the car cross-country tomorrow if I needed to, and never have to plug it in.

GM's Voltec platform was pure genius IMO based on the technology state (and cost) of battery technology around 2014, and it's still as relevant today, even though GM stopped making them. (I drove a new 2014 Volt for 50K miles before I bought the ELR, and it was my 2nd favorite car ever!). Unfortuately these were just compliance cars, never a profit center, and apparently they served their economic/ political/ PR purpose for GM, who everyone knows makes all their profits on pickups and Crossovers

The fact that GM only ever made less than 600 ELR's in white (both model years combined) is just "icing on the cake" for me. Because I swear there are already at least 20,000 Model 3 Tesla's here in Orange County, it must be the #1 desination for them! (I do believe the Tesla is an awesome car, but here in So cal they really are almost as common as Priuses now).

I will buy a new BEV like a Tesla or a Jaguar or a ?? in a few years, to get >250 miles of all electric range and faster acceleration, but I plan to never sell my ELR...it will go into my "Keeper" collection I'm assembling!

1969byrdman is online now US Coast Guard: Semper Paratus
    Automobile(s): 2003 DeVille base, 145K miles

Quote Originally Posted by Loveldos View Post
    It is a "cool" car with instant collectibility!
    that's a stretch. Or maybe I just don't get the appeal.

loomis2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 16 ELR

You can't update the software on a '14 to a '16 but you can buy updated modules and install them. It's around $1000 without installation, I believe, and you have to buy the parts on the internet from a third party business. I got a '16 and had to get the software updated at the dealer to activate Android Auto. It comes with Apple CarPlay natively. My car is still under warranty so it was free.

Quote Originally Posted by 1415CTS View Post
    What you guys think of this deal - $36900 - 6k miles lease return. Gotta go to Ohio (in MN) to get it and I’m going to part w my latest gen CTS (LOVE that car) but I know I won’t drive more than 30 miles a day so I’ll use virtually no gas. Will it save me $? Probably not a lot but I just love the fact of never having to go to support the clowns at the gas station again - at least not for that car.

Do you guys think that’s a fair deal- or would you wait. Cars.com says it will sell in 10 days? Mmm? Are these that hot? I know they are rare, but $37k got a used caddy is frankly my negotiated price for my old stock NEW 14 CTS w a 57k sticker. The CTS were also overpriced out of the gate. Just not as much.
    Like all cars, they drop every month. My i3 was diving for the Marianna trench every week. $50k car, 5 yrs old with premium wheels low miles and I sold it yesterday for $13,000. Sucks. But on the other hand that 2016 ELR is hovering around $28k to 35k depending on miles as of 4-19. You should really check out Cargurus and compare the prices. For me, it got down to one with CPO status. I decided that I needed the extra incentive of 3 more years of warranty up to 100k miles to really put the icing on the cake. When I saw one for less than $30k with the CPO in excellent condition - I jumped. There's not many with the warranty so you have to really look. On Cargurus there's a box you can check that filters out any ELR without the CPO so that narrows it down to a very small playing field. I guess you can always pay for an aftermarket warranty but that probably adds thousands.

Even if you could update the 2014 to the 2016 software there's a lot of things the 16 has the 2014 doesn't. If you want any more performance at all, buy the 16. If you drive like a grandpa then maybe it wouldn't make any difference. I had to have the same performance of my i3, plus I wanted the additional suspension features, upgraded battery and electric motors, plus a better looking grill. It was a no brainer for me - but saving a ton of dough on a 2014 is enticing. I'm super happy I paid the additional money for the 16 but I don't have a 14 to compare it to so there is that...

1415CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS 3rd Gen Steller Black on Platinum Lux

Cool Re: Horrible past reviews on the ELR

Thanks a ton guys! I appreciate the input. I think I'm going to join the "elite" of 480 or so 16 ELR owners out there and get a CPO. Great comments!

Love that you get 999MPG coffee And the CPO idea I never really considered, I was looking at straight price. It's probably a worthy investment although I hardly put any miles on my CTS. 23k for a 14 CTS I bought and put into service in August of 15. Car was one of the early production current gen CTSs and it's a great car! Not a fan of the CT5, so thinking ah I want to switch it up with an ELR!

Quote Originally Posted by 1415CTS View Post
    Thanks a ton guys! I appreciate the input. I think I'm going to join the "elite" of 480 or so 16 ELR owners out there and get a CPO. Great comments!

Love that you get 999MPG coffee And the CPO idea I never really considered, I was looking at straight price. It's probably a worthy investment although I hardly put any miles on my CTS. 23k for a 14 CTS I bought and put into service in August of 15. Car was one of the early production current gen CTSs and it's a great car! Not a fan of the CT5, so thinking ah I want to switch it up with an ELR!
    Glad to be of help sir. If you can afford the 2016 you won't be sorry. I can't speak of the difference in acceleration versus the 14 but it is as quick as the i3 if you stomp it. I find myself NOT wanting to do that like I did in the i3 just because it's a Cadillac and I just enjoy driving and the additional technology that the ELR/Volt platform has over the i3. The i3 ONLY has range over the ELR plus obviously the hatchback, but if you're looking for a ELR then you probably aren't looking for a hatchback anyway. The technology is better on the ELR/Volt platform and I think I can honestly say that owning an i3 for 5 years. I can tell you from having a 2014 Cadillac (SRX) that the CUE system is miles better on the 2016 ELR, so there's that, the acceleration, the bigger AC motors, better suspension... it's worth it for those who can afford it or appreciate the added benefits.

The CPO warranty was a huge factor in getting rid of the i3. The warranty just expired on my BMW and I knew that anything I could get selling my i3 towards a lower payment for the ELR was going to help greatly and I would be getting a new (used) car with 3 more years of warranty. And as everyone knows, these electronics these days cost a fortune. I love warranties!

m_eaton53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Loveldos View Post
    It is a "cool" car with instant collectibility!
    I don't know that it's all that collectible, but it's definitely cool.
    Drove one when they first came out and came away impressed.

Like almost everyone, I was very unimpressed with the absurd price tag.

Indygreg is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The ELR is the best car I have ever owned (I am 44 and have owned around 30 cars between me and spouse/girls I bought cars for) I LOVE the look of the 2016 over the 2014, the grill is way better and the new logo pops. Having said that, I have driven two 2016's one new and one used back to back with a 2104 and I just can't tell much of a difference if any. Android Auto is no big deal for me. I converted the emblems, steering wheel and grill, what a beauty! Folks ragging on the ELR need to get a life, people who own them love them. I have put 22k on the car in two years with ZERO problems and everyone who sees it or drives it raves about it. My girl is pissed for me thinking of selling mine but I have a one car garage and four vehicles now (had to move for work) so the ELR makes much less sense. I have the ELR in the garage but my classic jag Xj8 is suffering out in the cold-also have a lexus IS350C convertible and a van. Blessed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in