The Cool things I love about this car
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ELR Forum (2014-2016) Discussion, The Cool things I love about this car in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have had my 2016 ELR for about a week now. Really feeling comfortable with the car with how it ...
    Deafsoundguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2016 ELR

The Cool things I love about this car

I have had my 2016 ELR for about a week now. Really feeling comfortable with the car with how it drives and the things it does and can do for you. I am really appreciating the folllowing!

Obviously the fact that it can drive like an I3 without the squirrely feeling that you're going to careen off the road to your death if you take a corner too fast is much appreciated. The 2016 ELR handles very well. Not like my Jag, but that's okay the Jag isn't electric either and uses a lot more gas ... It's quieter and the generator is much quieter too and less vibration. Another i3 killer is of course the fact that I can turn on the generator anytime which the i3 can't do. Oh yeah... the opulence of the interior which is up there with the very best cars. It's even better than either of my Jags which is saying alot of how nice the interior and interior quality of this car is. And you sure can't forget the steering wheel heater - I'd rather have that than the stereo, but that's just me - I hate having cold hands and don't listen to the stereo very much (which sounds pretty good). Having a steering wheel heater is a must on any car I would ever buy in now or in the future.

One thing that has always driven me crazy is that whenever I hit the defrost button on any of my past cars, the defrost system comes on in jet-engine turbo mode like you're trying to clear a foot of snow and ice on the car. WIth the ELR you hit the button and it comes on at the last fan speed you used and most likely it's not on wind-tunnel mode. I like that.

Now that I understand that there's no actual pad to place your finger on to lock the car, and that you can bet the car will lock itself when you walk away... man I love that. I can't tell you how many times I have left a car accidentally unlocked only to come out the next morning to know some jerkov has been in my car going through all my things taking any and everything worth any value. So the fact that I don't even have to think about locking the car is super cool. WHy have none of my other cars done that?

If desired, that "easy exit" button goes back far enough to load a dead body in my lap. I won't be doing that anytime soon until I study Forensic Files a few more episodes so I just hit the backwards button about 4 inches and it's nice knowing I don't have to hit the seat memory button - once ther car is turned on it goes back to the last used seat position - love it! Which reminds me that my poor i3 didn't have power anything seats much less lumbar adjustments. They were good for what they were though... but ELR leather and ELR seat comfort is great. Nice that the seat heaters are just enough to warm the fanny well, not sphincter singeing like our FPace which will blast your butt like atmospheric reentry - yowch!

Now I can read a text on the car screen when I come to stop without getting out my #@&^ glasses to read my phone - great! And I can hit a preprogrammed reply too which is nice.

That nav screen is great and spinning the views with a touch of a button is awesome. The screen proximity sensor is awesome as well - what a great feature that is - none of my other million cars have had that. Having controls come to the screen as my finger approaches the screen is super cool in my book.

2016 CUE system works perfect and awesome. This is coming from a guy who hated the CUE system in the 2014 SRX we had. So glad to see they fixed that.

I don't know why but it seems like the front wheels stay way cleaner than any of the other cars I've owned. Usually after driving in the rain for a few days any front wheel is just nasty. I look at the ELR wheels and they're relatively clean - how can that be? In fact the whole car just seems cleaner than my other cars driving the to the same places. Maybe it's the wedge shape - I dunno.

Really like the info displayed on the energy screen and the mutiple things that it shows me.

I guess the only thing I've found so far that is annoying is the fact that you can't turn off the horn honks for some of the warnings... I guess you can't have everything.... I think the only other thing they missed was the designers should have made the trunk access flat with the bumper so there's no lip. That would have been great. But oh well...
    Loveldos and myoda like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Loveldos is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillacs: '13 CTS Cpe, '71 Eldo Conv

Re: The Cool things I love about this car

Great review! Thanks for taking the time to inform us. What colors is your ELR?

I have a black one sir. I have had mostly black cars my whole (driving) life, so I automatically like it in black. That being said, my lovely wife has this thing about deep crystal type of reds and it's rubbed off on me. It it were available at the time I decided to make the ELR plunge, I would have got a red one, if it had a black interior but none available that I could find, or way more money. But black is fine. The white I would only take if I could immediately put black wheels on! Right now I have some gloss black painted wheels saved for me when they get to the tire/wheel place here in about 3 weeks.

As far as things I love about this car, how in the world could I forget about the regen paddles? Truly awesome. My buddy who has a Volt said "it's got what?" I explained it's operation and he said "well if you drive it in L it's the same thing". I then corrected him and said "no, it's like you get regen times 2 at least by using the paddle even in L mode!" He was totally blown away by that... I could see the gears turning in his head... like how soon could he get a used ELR and get rid of his Volt. Not to mention he was blown away by the quality interior. He lives at the top of a very long hill and very twisty drive so regen is highly used on his Volt commute.

I also really like the very simple and little fact that the car starts up with cruise control already on. I just flip the "engage" button down and it's locked in. Honestly, I have a so many cars/work van/work trucks in my memory that sometimes I forget how to turn on the darn cruise control and worse, how to get one swipe on the wiper. Constantly hitting the window wash trying to get a single swipe (on one of my other cars)! Argh....

loomis2 is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 16 ELR

The Voly has the same regen paddle behind the steering wheel. In fact, the entire driver's display was also pretty much lifted from the Volt. Aside from the ELR having a better engine the system is pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by loomis2 View Post
    The Voly has the same regen paddle behind the steering wheel. In fact, the entire driver's display was also pretty much lifted from the Volt. Aside from the ELR having a better engine the system is pretty much the same.
    My buddy doesn't have it in his Volt so it must be something new after 2013.

loomis2 is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 16 ELR

I test drove a newer model Volt a few years ago. I was really surprised when I test drove an ELR and the driver's display was exactly the same. I then immediately felt behind the steering wheel for the big regen button and it was there just like the Volt. I didn't know they added it later in the Volt.

Indygreg is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The 2016 and up volt have the same regen and dashboard "styles" as the ELR, the ELR got them first! They are a million times better than the 2011 to 2015 volt in terms of style. I have had a first gen volt and almost but a gen2 but went with ELR instead as the gap to a Tesla. After all of my friends having Tesla's most of them wish they had an ELR =)

Good to know the ELR got the paddle first! I tell you what Teslas have exploded here in Priusville (Portland). I can't believe how many I've seen lately. I wonder how many of those people have seen the Tesla hall of Shame with them all sitting there totaled by suspension failures? I get to drive around in my ELR and knowing I will NOT see one and I just love that.

My Jag service manager just lives a few houses down from me. So I know him from dealing with Jag of Portland first (and our 2 Jags) and secondly realizing he's a neighbor! I saw him yesterday and he saw the ELR for the first time. He's a total pro, and of course top notch mechanic and car guy. It was interesting to hear him major rag on Teslas and then tell me he's heard nothing but great things about the ELRs! I think he was really impressed with the car when he saw one in front of him and then of course I had to point out the interior is even nicer than our Jags (ouch...) All in all, it was interesting to hear his thoughts being a guy who works for a high end dealership and a car guy.

I continue to be amazed at the regen paddles. This is the best feature ever, equal to the invention of the cruise control! I hate not having it on my other cars. This is something that should be on EVERY car ever made in the future! I can see why they won an award for it. Me personally, I like it so much that feature alone would probably make me never buy another car again if it doesn't have that on it!

I find it interesting that the regen capabilities of the car are amazing in that sometimes I can go back to seeing no energy used after going short distances (no heat or AC). I take off slowly and featherfoot it down the neighborhood with some slight inclines. By the time I hit the end of the neighborhood where I can get out on a major street, I've got to go down a few inclines and by using L mode and maybe a few touches to the regen paddles the energy used now has gone back to zero! Awesome! I never saw that in my i3! Constantly seeing my distance gone maybe 12 miles, and yet by conservative driving and switching back and forth from D to L and final regen paddle stops, I can see only 2 miles maybe have gone off the initial reported range. Of course this is probably old hat for ELR and Volt owners, but I still continue to be impressed by the ELR (and being a ELR newbie). Car has far surpassed my expectations!

Ha! I am also a Jag guy and I totally agree. Also, the "game" is well known to all of us. I can get 50 miles in the right weather--Jay Leno famously loved playing the game in his Volt. You should check out Voltstats, should work with your ELR as well. It is a contest =)

m_eaton53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Indygreg View Post
    Ha! I am also a Jag guy and I totally agree. Also, the "game" is well known to all of us. I can get 50 miles in the right weather--Jay Leno famously loved playing the game in his Volt. You should check out Voltstats, should work with your ELR as well. It is a contest =)
    I would not be good at that game.
    I know an ELR is going to go about 30 miles on a charge.
    If I know I'm not going that far I'd hoon it, knowing that there's a minimal "mileage" penalty.

1415CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS 3rd Gen Steller Black on Platinum Lux

Ditto Deafsoundguy! I am seeing a TON of new/used Teslas here in the burbs of Minneapolis. It's crazy!! My neighbor just got a Model 3. I still prefer the Model S if I had a choice. Model 3 is SO boring and the tax credit is quickly slipping away. I dunno, maybe I'm old fashioned but the speedo being in the center of the car with everything controlled by a horizontal "IPad" just doesn't make sense to me. I know their intent was simplicity but it can be interpreted as boring, again maybe I'm stuck in the 90's.

I'm guessing the reason for the mad influx of Tesla Model S's is the fact that the market is being flooded with the mod 3, and Tesla missed in Q3. I think the old defunct Bear Stearns management team could have pulled a profit out of Tesla in Q3! That was unreal, almost monopoly status on long range EV's and they miss. MMM!

Anyhow, am I missing something, folks are opting for the mod 3 over the mod S, despite the 2015-16 S being cheaper and frankly better (free supercharging is YUGE, as I live by one). I know the 3 is the new thing, but I saw my neighbors and left unimpressed. It looks like the head of an ET from the front, certaintly not the menacing look of "I'm going to blow your doors off" on most of the caddy's !

Really though, the model 3 just looks like something my millennial pot smoking nephew would drive. Thank Goodness it has auto drive! LOL! Model S has a timeless look, and redundancy with the old fashioned speedo in front of the driver.

Yikes! Speedo in the center? Yuck - not for me. The first Mini I saw with that I remember thinking to myself "what were they thinking?" I mean that makes it that much more of a case where everyone in the car wants to watch your speed like my wife needs that much more cannon fodder to tell me to speed up or slow down . I don't think so. Even the people behind you can see your dash which to me is like lookin up the skirt - bugs me. I'm a high tech guy and have lots of screens on all my digital mixing consoles but the one place I want NO screen that looks like an iPad is, in my car. I like the traditional look. In fact, when we ordered our FPace, we were one of the very few who ordered it with analog gauges, something that I am really glad we did. It ended up that the virtual display infotainment system (ICTP) had TONS of problems and we totally missed that boat thank God because of the traditional gauges.

I appreciate the people buying Teslas and "goin green" but they're not for me. I love gas at the touch of a button when I want, especially when I forget to charge my car and have little charge left with my absent minded pea brain .

I just realized yet another 2 things about the ELR I love! First of all is the sun visors actually slide out! That seems like a small thing but when that sun is in the right spot and you can't get away from the sun nailing the side of your eyeballs, it's a very appreciated thing. Both our Jags nor the i3 I just sold don't have them and it's inexcusable!!! It's such a little thing - why can't car manufactures provide those?

Another thing is the seat closeness to the center console. I'm famous for dropping something like my drivers license or CC between the seat and the console in that little crack where it's just a PIA to get out. With the ELR it's like exactly perfect fitting so it makes it almost impossible to do that. Small things but I notice things like that. Anal I know....

Let me add a really silly thing I love about the car. When someone calls me I really like how their picture pops up, none of my other cars have ever had that and being in a long distance relationship it good to see her and the dog pop up on the big screen while driving. It's small but nice.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Indygreg View Post
    Let me add a really silly thing I love about the car. When someone calls me I really like how their picture pops up, none of my other cars have ever had that and being in a long distance relationship it good to see her and the dog pop up on the big screen while driving. It's small but nice.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Indygreg, I was wondering about your post as far as picture size. Now normally I have used a picture of 2 slices of bacon for my wifes image when she calls (don't ask) and that's what pops up on the phone screen. I changed it to her standing next to her FPace. Had her call me on the ELR and lo and behold I actually noticed that her picture does indeed pop up on the screen - although it's only like 1"x1". That's appreciated but pretty small... did you figure out a way to make the picture larger? That would be ultra cool if it was substantially bigger so my original bacon shot could be actual size...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in