D versus L driving - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ELR Forum (2014-2016) Discussion, D versus L driving in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Deafsoundguy I really want to drive it in L mode as that's the most natural for me ...
    m_eaton53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum

Re: D versus L driving

Quote Originally Posted by Deafsoundguy View Post
    I really want to drive it in L mode as that's the most natural for me to want to enjoy the car. If that is the case, I wonder just how much battery power you give up in percentage?
    The question I would ask myself is, does this cause the engine to come on more often (or at all) while I'm driving it?

The way I look at it is this... if the engine doesn't come on much or at all, I go ahead and hoon it.
    I wouldn't really care what percentage of the battery I used unless it was all of it. Even then I probably wouldn't think too much of it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

black93 is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

It is my impression that the brake only comes on when in L on the 2016 not the 2014. I had my wife stand in front of the house while I dove by in L and let off the gas, I was only going around 25 MPH at the time and was told the brake light did not come on.

hightech-guy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2016 ELR

The brake lights come on when the brake pedal itself is pressed, as well as when the rate of deceleration is sufficient when using the paddles or releasing the throttle in L. Same brake light behavior on the Volt / ELR / Bolt. To confirm this yourself, on a dark night & road you can see it in your mirror from the reflected light off the center brake light - as well as the light thrown to the surrounding area. Or just have a friend follow you. Lots of info online about this too (rate a decel to trigger it, etc).

jayoldschool is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS SportWagon

That isn't correct for 2014 ELR, 2011-2015 Volt.

Deafsoundguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by hightech-guy View Post
    The brake lights come on when the brake pedal itself is pressed, as well as when the rate of deceleration is sufficient when using the paddles or releasing the throttle in L. Same brake light behavior on the Volt / ELR / Bolt. To confirm this yourself, on a dark night & road you can see it in your mirror from the reflected light off the center brake light - as well as the light thrown to the surrounding area. Or just have a friend follow you. Lots of info online about this too (rate a decel to trigger it, etc).
    That's one of the first things I confirmed when I got my ELR, after coming from the i3. I suspected the exact same, as in anytime regen is activated the brake light comes on too. I always wished I could change the functionality of that somehow in my i3 so that people behind you don't think you're a brake riding idiot when you're feathering the car for max electric miles. Or, ticking people off behind you because they think you're doing it on purpose as a call to "back the H off". I think it would be cool if it at least the brake light could be following a higher rate of deceleration than a gentle stop or feathering of the juice. Probably asking too much...

If that's not the case on a 2014, good to know, but High-tech guy is correct in regards to my car anyway.

I noticed one thing yesterday about electric miles left versus the engine start up. I was almost home in D and Tour mode. The electric range just turned to 1 mile left, and the instant that happened I punched it. The electric miles went to 0 instantly and the generator turned on and away I went. I was wondering what would happen, as in would it use the second or two of battery power left and then kick the generator in, or would it instantly decide that it was going to need more power for duration and kick the generator on. I'm going to keep doing that experiment for poops and giggle and keep moving up the range left before I punch it. I suspect it's as easy as the car just calculates the current demand it's going to need and makes a decision of what it wants to do.

hightech-guy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    That isn't correct for 2014 ELR, 2011-2015 Volt.
    The legal requirement is defined by rate of decel. For the original Volt (2011-2015), using L isn't aggressive enough to hit this requirement - so it isn't implemented. There is no difference in regen for 2014 and 2016 ELRs when using 'L', and all ELRs brake lights do come on when slowing sufficiently using 'L'. Also comes on with the paddles - which the old Volt didn't have.

The only difference with 2016 ELRs regarding braking is that they have a better blended brake feel when using the actual brake.
    NostraD likes this.

NostraD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR w/Luxury Package & Adaptive Cruise Control

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Unless the ELR is different than the GEN1 Volt, this is incorrect. No brake lights until you step on the brake.
    My '14 ELR brake lights come on when I A) engage the regen paddles and/or B) remove my foot from the throttle when shift is in L mode.

Just also did a search and found the following on a Volt site. This is possibly referring to 2nd gen Volt, but this is also how my '14 ELR responds in the same scenarios.

A) Drive in D, foot off accelerator, coasting (minimal deceleration) - Brake Lights OFF

B) Drive in L, foot off the accelerator - Brake Lights ON
    - Regen must be above -5 kWh (only metric -other than speed- I could quantify, perhaps they use accelerometer to trigger).
    - if you slow to under -5 kWh regen, or under about 5mph, brake light will go off, even if you are still slowing down.

C) Drive in L, feather accelerator, foot off brake - Brake Lights OFF
    - Even at highways speeds where I could feather regen to over -15kWh, brake light would remain OFF
    - I could only get the Brake Lights to turn ON if I was almost completely off the accelerator (see prior condition - B)

D) Any Drive Mode, Regen Paddle activated, foot off the accelerator - Brake Lights ON
    - There is a slight delay - maybe 1/2 second- after activating the Regen Paddle before the brake lights come ON
    - Below a certain speed the brake lights will go OFF
    (or rate of deceleration, or amount of regen - in any case you're only going 2-4 mph)

This may not be indicative of all situations, but it is reassuring to know that when driving in 'L' and you take your foot off the accelerator, the Brake Lights will be ON.

That's some concise tech info Nostra! That totally makes sense that it would go off under a certain regen amount. I didn't get that down to the nuts of it about slowing to a stop, but that's totally cool if it does shut off at a creep. I know on my i3 I swear it would come on anytime your foot is not giving it juice, even at 1mph.

Thanks for taking the time to write that.
    NostraD likes this.

Icarus57 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR base

I have yet to try the “L” position. I was wanting a bit more regen braking occasionally and this may fit the bill. The owner’s manual says the brake lights “may” come on when your foot is not pressing the accelerator in this position. It will, but this avoids litigation in the event of a crash. Harrumph! Lawyers.

Well what's great is that the ELR like the later Volts gives you so many ways to drive and enjoy the car (all the electric or gas/electric modes, and then the D or L choice, and then regen on demand on top of THAT). I went from L mode all the time to D mode most of the time unless I'm on a steeper slope or stop and go traffic.

I live where I can use coasting way more than when I lived close-in, so D works more for me. If I still lived close-in I'd probably be in L mode all the time.....

Funny thing is my wife didn't really say much about the car or even after getting it (because she loves her FPace and lives for stop light Gran Prix). But since I got the black wheels and she's going more with me for dinner and such and saving gas, she's really liking the looks and the car and has made several comments about how sharp it looks... Ha, I knew she'd come around....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in