Driver door entry
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ELR Forum (2014-2016) Discussion, Driver door entry in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ever since I have had this car, about 3 months, I have had trouble opening the driver door. I always ...
    black93 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Driver door entry

Ever since I have had this car, about 3 months, I have had trouble opening the driver door. I always thought it was my fault but the more I think I have found the right spot to place my hand the next time it does not open without several try's. The door opens from the inside perfect which leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the switch under the exterior door handle. Has anyone else had this problem. Should I try replacing the switch. Have no idea what that would entail. Any suggestion. Or should I take it to a body shop or the dealer.

Thanks
    Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Typhoontye is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Driver door entry

I have a similar problem. And besides the CUE system, which hopefully is resolved, the only remaining issue with the vehicle. On my car, I noticed that when I used the parking brake that the drivers door would not operate with the switch from the inside. Don't know about the outside, never tried it during these occasions, or had any trouble with it. I sort of troubleshot the problem through trial and error to the gearshift lever. Turns out, when I place the car's parking brake on, the car shifts a bit and the gear shift lever is coming off a switch that prevents the doors from opening when the car is in gear. Later I found that even without using the parking brake, that if I don't place the car in 'Park' firmly, the drivers door won't fully unlatch (unlatches half way). Then I bump the gear shift with the palm of my hand more firmly into 'Park', and i can open the door. Strangely, my wife never experiences the problem when she drives. Must have a more aggressive gear shift arm. Also strange, the problem never occurs with the passenger side. If the problem occurs to me while she is in the passenger seat, the passenger door opens normally. I'll have to get to this problem at another time, but isn't too critical since I know to simply bump the shift lever.

Don't know if this helps any or is related to your issue. Perhaps when it happens next you could crawl through the passenger side and see if the door opens from the inside. Or if bumping the shift lever helps any. If none of that, then I would suspect something is wrong with the outside switch.

You didn't mention how many miles are on the car. If high mileage, then perhaps this has a bearing on the issue. Would make sense the drivers side would give out first. Not that either one of them 'should' give out...

David
    2016 Silver Radiant

Thanks David interesting theory. I will play around with it for a little while. The car has 43K miles on it. I went from a 93 Allante to this. There are a few things I liked about the Allante better. One of which is door handles.

Typhoontye is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Roger all of that. I failed to notice that you had tried to open from the inside in your original post. Sorry 'bout that.

Just talked to a guy who is a fan of the Allante. Nice looking vehicle.

43K miles would not indicate to me a problem with age. Good luck and interested in the eventual resolution...

David

David. I did just try pushing the lever into park. Sorry to say it did not help. Thanks again

Follow up. Turned out to be the door switch. $35. and a 2 minute job.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in