Extended storage of the vehicle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ELR Forum (2014-2016) Discussion, Extended storage of the vehicle in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I thought this subject was addressed in the manual, but can't seem to find it: Should the vehicle be left ...
    Typhoontye is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Extended storage of the vehicle

I thought this subject was addressed in the manual, but can't seem to find it: Should the vehicle be left plugged in for extended periods of storage? I know the answer is 'yes' for a few weeks. Also 'yes' if extreme ambient temperatures are expected. But not entirely sure what to do if the vehicle may not be driven for many months (in an insulated garage environment....not too hot/cold). One thought is to set the charging program to only 'charge' for an hour or so a day. Not sure if that accomplishes anything. Any thoughts?

David
    2016 Radiant Silver ELR

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V (red), 2009 CTS Premium Sedan (red), 2016 ELR (silver)

Re: Extended storage of the vehicle

I don't see any reference to it in the ELR manual, either. This thread from the Volt Forum may be helpful, though:
    https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...986#post209986

I don't think charging for an hour a day would keep the 12v battery charged if the high voltage battery starts out/gets full (i.e. it wouldn't need to charge at all, so it wouldn't wake up to charge the 12v battery). Their suggestion about starting with an empty battery and slowly letting the car charge back up should work, but if it goes long enough that the battery is fully charged, it might eventually allow the 12v battery to die.

I'd probably be most comfortable leaving the car half charged and putting an AGM battery tender on the disconnected 12 volt battery in the trunk. That way, you know for sure that the 12v battery won't be depleted and the car won't be trying to do anything you don't expect while you're gone. Note, too, the reference on page 285 to lifting the car for extended storage to protect your tires. Consider fuel stabilizer, also.

Typhoontye is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Extended storage of the vehicle

Thanks Reciprocity,

Good points. I've left already but will have a buddy go over and disconnect the main charging cord (240V) and the negative terminal for the 12V Battery. Probably my best action plan at this point.

I made sure I had non-ethanol gas through out the fuel system before we left. I think I should be ok with that for at least four months. Should have lifted the car a bit but ran out of time. Plus, when the wife returns occasionally she will need to drive the vehicle. Optionally, I understand increasing tire pressure can also help keep the tires in round, but didn't do that either.

Appreciate the reply!

David

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in