CUE Troubles
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ELR Forum (2014-2016) Discussion, CUE Troubles in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Howdy all, Some trouble has reared it's head with my CUE system. It is intermittent, of course, but getting more ...
    Typhoontye is offline Cadillac Owners Member

CUE Troubles

Howdy all,

Some trouble has reared it's head with my CUE system. It is intermittent, of course, but getting more regular. It starts with some soft 'beeps' coming from somewhere (audible across the cabin), and we caught some anomalies on the screen coinciding with the beeps. Don't ask what the anomalies were as I can't remember. The last time it happened, I had the preset radio stations on the screen, and as I was driving along the beeping started, and 'Gulf Breeze' inserted itself as a radio preset. Well, Gulf Breeze was simply the town I was driving through. The experience repeated next town. When I 'select' the town via the touch screen, it throws a route up on the screen. Next thing that typically happens, the system won't respond to the touch screen, but if I select the home screen via the manual menu button, the home screen pops up. But it won't respond to touch, and ultimately starts doing a left/right dance with the icons. Re-booting the system, by shutting down the vehicle entirely, resolves the problem...but sadly, only for a while.

I always keep the custom foil windshield shade in when parked, as I know the system is sensitive to heat. Ironically, the system worked fine all Summer, and now that it is somewhat cooler it is acting up. By 'somewhat cooler', I mean it has dropped from highs in the nineties to highs in the eighties, here in sunny NW Florida.

I'm hopeful this doesn't mean a CUE replacement is in order, but if so I need to budget for it. My 2016 model is not covered by warranty so that isn't an option ('branded' title). Other than that, and a few niggles when I first took delivery of the vehicle, the ELR has been flawless and a joy to drive. It was very low mileage when purchased (11,000 miles) and had a whine from the rear, which turned out to be a wheel bearing. And it had wind noise on the passenger side window, which was adjusted out. So overall a good experience thus far...

Any thoughts appreciated!

David
    2016 ELR, Radiant Silver

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

ccclarke is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

Re: CUE Troubles

It could be the problematic touch screen is going South, (intermittently internally shorting) and causing the system to respond as if it had been touched. (Your symptoms/cause has been reported before.)

If you suspect it, replacing your screen is not only easy, but much cheaper (<$100) than springing for an entire center console display unit (>$1500). If the symptoms continue to point in that direction, that's the best course of action.

You can order the touch screen from aliexpress ($30 + shipping) and scope out YouTube for a video explaining how to replace it. (Simple!) The console trim pops right off using the proper (nylon/plastic) trim removal tools.

Or, you can head down to CVS and buy a tube of K-Y on the way to your local dealer's Service Department. They'll happily swap out the head unit, even if just the touch screen is bad.

Thank you ccclarke! That prognosis gives me some hope. I will update the forum once I get it fixed. Might be awhile

David

Raza is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ELR

Any updates on this?

No update yet! Life has gotten in the way and I haven't gotten to it. And of course the vehicle still operates, so incentive is low.

Having reviewed the process for replacing the screen on a couple of YouTubes, it appears somewhat involved but doable by reasonably mechanical folks. I do need to procure some plastic tools to help me remove the plastic trim while avoiding damage.

Researching the screen problem on the web I am left a bit disappointed in Cadillac. This is a known problem on all Cadillac models that continues (apparently) year after year. Mine is a 2016 and you would think this would be fixed. On an otherwise well engineered automobile this is an anomaly . But something that is quite visible and apparent to owners. Not good PR for Caddy.

Received the new screen but have yet to install. A little bass ackwards, but decided to visit my local dealer service dept before unwrapping the new screen. I described my symptoms to the service adviser and he was pretty quick to tell me that the screen is not the problem, but a 'controller' within the CUE system. Only solution is wholesale replacement of the entire CUE system.

The symptom that I described that led the service adviser to this conclusion is as follows: When on the audio screen, the system will emit a soft 'beep', and whichever radio station I am listening to will pop up as a favorite. If it was already a favorite, a duplicate favorite frequency will pop up, creating another soft button. Also, when in nav mode, driving down the road the system will often emit a 'beep', and whatever road/intersection/town I am approaching will pop up as a soft button next to the radio frequency favorites. If I select the town/road/intersection, the nav system will begin navigating to that feature.

Given all this, the service adviser was pretty adamant that replacing the screen is a waste of time and money. I have no reason to disbelieve him. Anyone had a similar experience?? Thanks...

David
    2016 Radiant Silver ELR (no warranty)

Of course the dealer wants to swap out the entire CUE system, and of course, that will probably fix the (or any) problem. . .

If you go that route, have the tech install your current touch screen on the new center stack, and give you the one that came with it. If the problem persists, you'll know you got ripped off. If it doesn't, you'll have two spare (new) touch screens for later possible use.

mja1962 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2018 CT6 PHEV (Black) 2016 ELR (Graphite) 2005 Escalade EXT (Black)

FWIW, I had my entire center stack replaced (under warranty) recently. The symptom was erratic response by the touch screen, or no response at all. How do I know for sure that they replaced the entire stack and not just the touchscreen? Because I had installed a custom bracket for my cellphone on the side of the storage bin door, which involved drilling and tapping two holes to secure the bracket. When I got the car back, the dealer had removed my bracket and left it for me to re-attach to the new door. Until I got the car back, I wasn't even aware that replacing the entire center stack might be an option, considering that the problem was with the touchscreen.

My point exactly. Dealers do not replace defective touch screens, which as you rightfully pointed out are high failure components. They replace the entire center stack at considerably more cost to the customer, (if out of warranty) than a $30 touch screen. Is this a great business model, or what?!!.

Interestingly the service adviser at my dealership told me he suggested screen replacements to his supervision and was told it was not Cadillac policy

Ok, finally got around to this job. And it was a job! I reviewed a number of You Tubes on removal of the CUE system for various models of Cadillac. None for the ELR of course. Messed about with it for a while, removing trim, etc, and determined I could remove all the fasteners for the module except the top two. Those two are obstructed by the HVAC vents. Sadly, the fasteners for the HVAC vent are obstructed by other dash parts. Lost as to a way forward, went to the computer again. Found Repairprocedures.com and found I could subscribe for $15 for 24 hours. So I did that. Sure enough, they had the ELR tech data and I proceeded with their process. Sadly, it was quite involved, involving removal of the top of the dash, all pieces of it. To accomplish that, the glove box and passenger air bag had to be removed, the sides of the center console removed (and if I followed their process to the letter, the rear seats), the A pillar covers, a lot of other moulding, etc.. And finally, the HVAC vents and the CUE module. By the time I was done it looked like the car had been in a wreck! From what I saw on the You Tubes, this is probably the most difficult Cadillac from which to extract the CUE module. To be totally honest, I did not completely remove all the items the tech data instructed to remove. I mentioned the rear seats, but I also did not completely remove the major top of dash pieces. I was able to work it with partial removal, though the dash extension (very front most piece) had to come completely out, as did the A pillar pieces. The glove box and passenger side airbag definitely needed to come out. It doesn't seem intuitive, but there are a couple of fasteners under there that hold the passenger side top of dash down, and I needed to be able to lift that substantially. Probably 4-6 hours labor for this phase. Could do it in 2-4 now. You really need the tech data from repairprocedures.com or similar.

The CUE unit itself is like the other Cadillac models. Several good You Tubes on how to disassemble the unit and replace the screen. Easy compared to the removal of the unit. I was slow and methodical, so probably 1-2 hours. I don't rush...

Installation of the unit and reassembly of the car was probably 4 hrs. The way the tech data is written it's not easy to follow the disassembly process backwards. Might have been helpful to follow 'assembly' instructions, but my 24 hrs had expired, and by this time I had assembled about 40 printed pages of the disassembly process and placed them is some sort of order in a notebook.

Did I fix the problem? I'm not declaring victory yet. The wife has taken the vehicle on a couple of fairly short shopping trips thus far with no problems. Ordinarily I think it would have acted up by now. So I'm cautiously optimistic. But at least I feel confident about removing the unit in case I need to do a complete replacement.

David

Since you won't be the first ELR owner to inherit this problem from Cadillac, I suggest you do what I did:

Compile the dash disassembly and CUE touch screen replacement into a Word/pdf document, (while it's still fresh in your brain) and offer it up to the ELR community. Touch screen replacement is easy; accessing the head unit is a lot more work. I offer my procedure via PM once I get (an offline) email address to send it to.

This method serves multiple purposes - I keep a list of all recipients so I can send any revised procedures to them, plus it minimizes the chance of people signing up, posting once, getting the procedure, and never returning. Multiple posts have to be made before PM privileges are bestowed. As small as the ELR community is, you need as many owners here to support each other as possible. (Look at the level of activity in the XLR section if you want to see a possible future for the ELR section, and GM had 5X as many vehicles produced.) Having a useful procedure for common problems in each model gravitates new members to each section of the forum. Everyone wins.

CCC

Hello CCC,

Thank you so much for responding to my original post and encouraging me to pursue this angle. Appears to still be a good fix (one more successful shopping trip logged by my wife).

I think I understand what you are suggesting with regards to helping others out with the process for this fix. Sadly (or happily) we are moving aboard our sailing vessel in three days and things are pretty busy. Perhaps when we return to land life in a year or so. My hope is that my post will give others with ELR CUE issues at least a vector. If I'd had that, i wouldn't have wasted a lot of time prior to just paying a bit for the tech data, which describes the process pretty well. And by having the 'big picture' in mind prior to starting, steps that can be short cut a bit saves a lot of time. Hopefully I hit on those areas in an understandable way.

Owning an old sailboat and previous long term owner of a classic British sports car ('71 MGB) I have certainly enjoyed a lot of advice from these types of forums over the years. And hopefully have helped out a few folks too. I consider it a worthwhile investment of effort to keep these forums viable. It certainly has paid off for me!

David

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in