2014 12V OEM battery installed, ELR SPECIFIC
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By coffee4matt
Cadillac ELR Forum (2014-2016) Discussion, 2014 12V OEM battery installed, ELR SPECIFIC in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; New OEM 12V battery installed, at 17k miles, 4.5 years from vehicle manufacture. Proactive replacement, after a single anomaly (doors ...
    seacraft23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

2014 12V OEM battery installed, ELR SPECIFIC

New OEM 12V battery installed, at 17k miles, 4.5 years from vehicle manufacture. Proactive replacement, after a single anomaly (doors wouldn't unlike from the outside, NOT key fob related.)

FYI: GM part # 88865475, AC/Delco EVLN2 47P7YR

I'm posting to point out this battery, according to the dealership, is ELR specific. I scheduled the install appointment, tech came to me 15 minutes later, saying the "HYBRID" AC/Delco they had in stock was for ALL other Cadillac hybrids, but NOT the ELR, and they would have to order a different battery. I believe he said the ELR-specific battery is shorter (in height) than the other hybrid batteries.

They had to keep the car overnight, but gave me a new Cadillac loaner for free (THANKS, Frank Kent Cadillac)

I hope someone will cross-check these numbers and confirm this information.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR

Re: 2014 12V OEM battery installed, ELR SPECIFIC

I'm a new owner, almost a week now of a 2014 model w/ Kona seats @60k miles picked up for $22.7k and was thinking like you of proactively replacing the battery which appears to be stock as the vehicle service history doesn't show a replacement.

I was surprised to find an "odd" battery part number for this vehicle, EVLN2 is what shows on my stock battery. It appears from layout and dimension to be a Group 47 / H5 battery though (and also from the second PN you gave). I took a look at the battery area this morning to see if a larger battery could fit and it appears to me that a Group 48 / H6 AGM battery will just fit the tray. The stock battery has 1" of clearance on each side so an 11" wide battery should fit. A bit more CCA and RC along with being cheaper than the smaller H5 or OEM battery.

I think the H6 route is what I'm going with soon for a replacement before winter hits.

seacraft23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Hmm...interesting. Are you going to do the replacement yourself? A dealership might balk at the upgrade, for many reasons.

It would be interesting to have a bit more capacity, although it might very well be overkill. Cheaper, if it's a quality battery, is always enticing!

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR

I'll do it myself. I don't see the need to go through the hassle of trying to have the dealership put in a non-standard battery. It doesn't appear to be any more difficult than changing the battery in a normal vehicle.

It is overkill upgrading the capacity, but I think being cheaper for a larger more powerful battery along with longer run times for the stereo system brings a little peace of mind when sitting in the vehicle for any period of time while it's powered up.

Huey Driver is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2017 XT5 Premium Luxury - Dark Adriatic Blue/Cirrus (past - '11 SRX, '14 ELR)

My understanding was always that the 12V battery charges off the main batteries. That would make any capacity issue a waste.
    12V only runs electronics on startup. Even the engine cranks off the drive cells....
    But, you have a point. it might be a niche battery that costs more than a plain old bigger one...

coffee4matt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 16 ELR Crystal White/ Ebony

If this topic is of interest please advise and I will post my thougths. I just replaced 2 of these batteries a few weeks ago, one in my 2016 ELR and one in a 2014 Chevy Volt for my nephew. Bought them from Pep Boys, correct replacement part for EVLN2, very reasonable price.

One replacement was simple, very easy and uneventful (in the Volt), everything worked like a charm afterwards, while the other one resulted in a dealer visit afterwards to clear error codes that resulted (in the ELR), but I think I know the reason why...

loomis2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 16 ELR

I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on the subject, especially why you think you got all the error codes.

coffee4matt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 16 ELR Crystal White/ Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by loomis2 View Post
    I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on the subject, especially why you think you got all the error codes.

I replaced the 2016 ELR battery first, after it died and I was locked out of the car. (Fortunately I had a digital copy of the owners manual on my PC, since I couldn’t get to the physical one in the glovebox...even after I manually opened the drivers door via the manual cable in the trunk!)

I figured no problem changing the battery myself, why tow it to a dealer. Basically the same as a regular car, other than the location. When I removed the carpeted floorboard in the trunk & the battery hold down brackets, I saw a large plastic “box” that looked like a fuse box which sits directly over the positive battery post, and had an extra 10mm nut and bolt clamping the regular positive cable assembly to the interior of the “fuse box” thing.

I guessed wrong which 10mm nut to loosen to simply remove the whole assembly off the positive battery post, so I loosened the second same size nut. This time the whole assembly could be turned/ gently lifted off the battery post, but since the first nut was still loose something else also moved that shouldn’t & I got a large spark/ pop as I lifted it off. Can’t remember which cable I removed first, positive or negative, but I think it was the former, reasoning keeping the negative attached lessened the chance I would get shocked, as the ground cable is a more efficient conductor than I am in my rubber sole shoes.

I put everything back together and the new battery (identical in shape, size, CCA, etc as OEM battery) seemed to work fine. Exterior door latches worked again, lights, instrument panel, windows, etc, and the car seemed to run fine again. However I now for the 1st time ever had a dash warning light re: check battery.

When I drove 32 miles to work the next day, about half way there I got 2 more instrument panel warning messages I never saw before: check battery charging system, and then a few minutes later that the car was shutting down all non-critical accessories (radio, etc) to conserve battery! Fearing my new 12V battery was only draining, not recharging I went to a large Chevy dealer near my office who has 2 certified Volt technicians on staff. I explained what happened and left the car. The service tech confirmed the 12V battery charges off of the main Li ion battery pack, when I asked.

The Chevy dealer said my new non-GM battery was bad (?), and he could fix everything for me, under warranty (34K miles), but he needed the original OEM Delco battery to return in order to replace the original w/ a new one under warranty. I fortunately still had it at home, so I let the dealer change the battery (again!), they cleared all error codes, and everything was fine again.

The next weekend I had offered to help my nephew replace his 2014 Volt OEM 12V battery (70,000 miles) on a pre-emptory basis, so he wouldn’t get locked out when his eventually died. I’d bought him the same replacement battery from Pep Boys at 5e same time I bought one for my ELR, and I was certain he battery used was NOT the problem in the case of my ELR error codes.

THIS time I read the owners manual instructions as carefully if I was trying to defuse a ticking down nuclear warhead trigger, including the order the cables were removed, and then reinstalling them afterwards in the reverse order! Only loosened the one correct nut to remove the fuse box assembly off positive battery post, no sparks when I removed it. Everything smooth as silk, no error codes, worked like a charm. So the replacement battery ( about $120 as I recall) worked perfectly.
    myoda likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in