2014 ELR bottom of touch screen does not work
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac ELR Forum (2014-2016) Discussion, 2014 ELR bottom of touch screen does not work in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey group, I just bought a 14 ELR today! The seller gave me a discount because a part of the ...
  1. #1
    aseraj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3

    2014 ELR bottom of touch screen does not work

    Hey group, I just bought a 14 ELR today! The seller gave me a discount because a part of the bottom of the touch screen doesnt work. I can't press Media to access my bluetooth music so I do that from the steering wheel. I can't press destination in nav, etc... So I'm assuming i have to replace the touch screen right? Is there anyone that can give me some feedback on what to do here? Should i replace just the touch screen? Should i replace the entire center section where the touchscreen is a part of? If i can't find a used ELR touch screen or center console, should i look for a 2014 ATS center console? Any kind of upgrade i can do while doing this? I'd like to do the Apple Car play while going through all this...Also, any links on how to take the center part / touch screen out? Sorry to bombard with all these questions...just wanted to throw it all out there...

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    phickson's Avatar
    phickson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR Luxury Package, Adaptive Cruise Control, Kona brown
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    166

    Re: 2014 ELR bottom of touch screen does not work

    Quote Originally Posted by aseraj View Post
    I can't press Media to access my bluetooth music so I do that from the steering wheel. I can't press destination in nav, etc...
    I'll be interested to see what others may have to say about this - as my 2014 just started doing the exact same thing. I have 66 k on the odo - so it's out warranty - so sorry aseraj, I have no helpful advice for you on the "fix".

  4. #3
    jayoldschool's Avatar
    jayoldschool is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS SportWagon
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Age
    46
    Posts
    9,306

    Re: 2014 ELR bottom of touch screen does not work

    Have you checked to see if your car is still under warranty?

  5. #4
    Cutlass is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,015

    Re: 2014 ELR bottom of touch screen does not work

    Definitely let Cadillac pay for the repair if it is still under warranty. Even if its barely out by a couple months and couple miles, they might still cover it. Just ask.
    A Cadillac dealer will only fix it one way and that's with the complete touchscreen display and lower controls/secret compartment as an assembly.
    Other members on here have found a way to just buy the screen and swap it into the old radio display/controls assembly.
    There is not really an upgrade directly associated with the screen. It's really just a screen and control pad. The Apple Carplay and other upgrades are done by replacing the HMI module which is the computer heart of the infotainment system.

  6. #5
    aseraj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3
    Thread Starter

    Re: 2014 ELR bottom of touch screen does not work

    unfortunately my car has 85k miles so definitely out of warranty. I went to dealer today and they told me $2k to replace screen. But i dont know if they meant just the screen or the entire black housing structure with hidden compartment and all. Has any one just replaced the screen? I searched "Cadillac Cue touch screen" on ebay and there are a handful of people selling them. In their description it always says ATS, escalade, etc but never ELR....But it looks the same. Would one of those work?
    "

  7. #6
    Cutlass is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,015

    Re: 2014 ELR bottom of touch screen does not work

    They are talking the whole black housing.
    I thought there were people on here swapping the screen out of the housing.
    One of those screen assembly housings on eBay should work. The assemblies are all pretty much the same except for maybe the heated/cooled seat buttons.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #7
    phickson's Avatar
    phickson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR Luxury Package, Adaptive Cruise Control, Kona brown
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    166

    Re: 2014 ELR bottom of touch screen does not work

    Quote Originally Posted by aseraj View Post
    unfortunately my car has 85k miles so definitely out of warranty. I went to dealer today and they told me $2k to replace screen. But i dont know if they meant just the screen or the entire black housing structure with hidden compartment and all. Has any one just replaced the screen? I searched "Cadillac Cue touch screen" on ebay and there are a handful of people selling them. In their description it always says ATS, escalade, etc but never ELR....But it looks the same. Would one of those work?
    "
    I called my dealer today to inquire about my problem (seems the same as yours). They suggested I call GM Customer Care at (800) 458-8006, so I did. They "escalated it" for me saying I should hear back in 24-48 hours. Well about 15 minutes later my dealer's service customer service manager called me asking why I called GM, ha. I explained my CUE wasn't working properly, so he asked I bring it in, that it would be about $160.00 to troubleshoot it, then I would have the option to either pay for the repair myself (since my car is out of mileage warranty 66k) or if it turns out to be a bigger problem (like entire replacement) they would suggest I call GM Customer Service back and see if some sort of arrangement could be made to help with the costs of the repairs since time-wise my warranty has 12 days left on it. Not a finished story yet - but at least I have started on fixing the problem. They are going to look at my car Monday, I'll follow up on the forum.

  9. #8
    Cutlass is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,015

    Re: 2014 ELR bottom of touch screen does not work

    If the screen does not respond to touch, it needs a screen. Don’t pay for diag.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    phickson's Avatar
    phickson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR Luxury Package, Adaptive Cruise Control, Kona brown
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    166

    Re: 2014 ELR bottom of touch screen does not work

    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    If the screen does not respond to touch, it needs a screen. Don’t pay for diag.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sage advice, but it's partially working and does respond to upper touches...? Maybe it just needs a software update or a reboot or something minor, time will tell I suppose - either way I know my wallet is opening....

  11. #10
    Julien is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR Crystal Red/Light Cashmere
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    136

    Re: 2014 ELR bottom of touch screen does not work

    There have been a lot of threads on this forum and others, plus FB about the lower touch screen not responding. It seems to happen most often in warmer climates and it is a hardware (touch screen) failure and requires a replacement (not firmware or software).
    Cutlass1 and Cutlass1 like this.

  12. #11
    phickson's Avatar
    phickson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR Luxury Package, Adaptive Cruise Control, Kona brown
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    166

    Re: 2014 ELR bottom of touch screen does not work

    Quote Originally Posted by phickson View Post
    Sage advice, but it's partially working and does respond to upper touches...? Maybe it just needs a software update or a reboot or something minor, time will tell I suppose - either way I know my wallet is opening....
    Dealer called me - the entire CUE system (radio head) needs replacement - $1810.00 (including the diagnostics to tell me it's broken). I reported this to the GM Customer Service as going out with 65k on the odo, with 6 days left on the bumper to bumper time warranty (yes I know technically it's out of warranty). But with that said the CUE should last 10 to 20 years, eh, not 3 years and 11 months and 23 days. GM Customer Service said they'd back to me in a day or two after they talk to the service manager at the dealership. Either way it'll be fixed, as you can't not have the CUE in your Caddy, just hope to receive some sort of financial relief from General Motors. So far everyone has been very understanding and responsive to my dilemma - but only time will tell the final outcome.

  13. #12
    Rhayze12's Avatar
    Rhayze12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    25
    There is a salvage yard in Michigan that has parted out 9 or 10 ELRs. I think they were GM test or vip vehicles.. Go to ebay and type in 2014 ELR, you can contact him from there.. Its a option for you..

  14. #13
    phickson's Avatar
    phickson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR Luxury Package, Adaptive Cruise Control, Kona brown
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    166

    Re: 2014 ELR bottom of touch screen does not work

    Quote Originally Posted by phickson View Post
    Dealer called me - the entire CUE system (radio head) needs replacement - $1810.00 (including the diagnostics to tell me it's broken). I reported this to the GM Customer Service as going out with 65k on the odo, with 6 days left on the bumper to bumper time warranty (yes I know technically it's out of warranty). But with that said the CUE should last 10 to 20 years, eh, not 3 years and 11 months and 23 days. GM Customer Service said they'd back to me in a day or two after they talk to the service manager at the dealership. Either way it'll be fixed, as you can't not have the CUE in your Caddy, just hope to receive some sort of financial relief from General Motors. So far everyone has been very understanding and responsive to my dilemma - but only time will tell the final outcome.
    There's a reason my ELR is the 7th Cadillac I've owned - my local dealer just called and advised the GM Customer Service Center took care of it for me, I only have a small fee to pay. So I'm definitely not going to look a gift horse in the mouth! Thank you Cadillac/GM for saving me a bundle of money.
    NostraD, NostraD, Cutlass1 and 1 others like this.

  15. #14
    phickson's Avatar
    phickson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR Luxury Package, Adaptive Cruise Control, Kona brown
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    166

    Re: 2014 ELR bottom of touch screen does not work

    Quote Originally Posted by phickson View Post
    There's a reason my ELR is the 7th Cadillac I've owned - my local dealer just called and advised the GM Customer Service Center took care of it for me, I only have a small fee to pay. So I'm definitely not going to look a gift horse in the mouth! Thank you Cadillac/GM for saving me a bundle of money.
    Just in case another ELR owner can capitalize on this information:

    Radio Control Assembly Replacement (CUE) which is a known issue with Cadillac, charged only Customer Goodwill Deductible of $100.00

  16. #15
    Icarus57 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR base
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Tornado Alley
    Posts
    7

    Re: 2014 ELR bottom of touch screen does not work

    It appears this issue is unresolved, though a little old. Julien is correct, I believe. The touchscreen itself is the issue, not the display behind what you touch or the unit behind it. The screen can be purchased from amazon for $130, including pdf installation instructions. Be sure when searching for one that it has the amber-colored translucent areas at the bottom. These are for the proximity sensors. The whole process takes about 4.5 hours if it is the first time.

    The exact same thing happened to me and no fuse-pulling or “hard reset” or witchcraft would repair it. If the screen is broken, it is broken. Mine appeared flawless, but the bottom center was non-functional. If you want to attempt this, buy the part and do nothing until you have read and understood the instructions thoroughly. Begin in the well-rested first part of your day and be patient. You will be rewarded with a fully-functional CUE system. When you get tired or impatient, bad things happen. Good luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Genesis | Kia Forte Forum