2014 ELR bottom of touch screen does not work - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac ELR Forum (2014-2016) Discussion, 2014 ELR bottom of touch screen does not work in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The bottom of the screen thing is precisely why I didn't buy a Florida, Texas or Arizona (used) car. I ...
    Deafsoundguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2016 ELR

Re: 2014 ELR bottom of touch screen does not work

The bottom of the screen thing is precisely why I didn't buy a Florida, Texas or Arizona (used) car. I think it's been posted here somewhere, but it's pretty obvious the sun is what fries the screen. It can hit the bottom of the screen easier and longer than the top. That's why I immediately asked about the sunshades because I'm definitely going to make sure I always have a sunshade on whenever there's bright sunlight out!

I think I already mentioned this but on a few of the ELRs for sale (like CarGurus) you could actually see checking on the bottom of the screen from the sun and there was even one where they stated the screen was not functioning correctly and wanted the buyer to deal with it... yeah good plan...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

m_eaton53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Deafsoundguy View Post
    there was even one where they stated the screen was not functioning correctly and wanted the buyer to deal with it... yeah good plan...
    Yeah... give me $1500 off and I'll deal with it.
    Then I'll spend 10% of that and DIY it.

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

I replaced mine for <5% of your $1500 estimate. Very simple job if you take your time and are careful when removing the trim with the proper (ie: inexpensive) plastic trim removal tools. $30 touch screens are available at aliexpress. You can pay more, but why?

Factory trim and head unit removal procedures (with illustrations) downloadable here for $10 a day: https://www.repairprocedures.com/index.php

Every well-stocked garage tool box deserves a set of these: https://www.harborfreight.com/nylon-...SABEgKk1_D_BwE They're a lot cheaper than replacing scratched or damaged trim pieces! You'll get plenty of use from them too.

YouTube video detailing how to remove/replace the touch screen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22q48pnioQw

While heat may be a contributing factor with some failures, (delamination, aka: spider-cracking) there are so many posts documented from owners all over the country in different climates points to a piss-poor design and inadequate life cycle testing as the likely root causes. The most-used portion of the touch screen interface is the lower edge, so failures in that area appear to be very common. (Like mine.)

CUE touch screen failure isn't an "if" so much as a "when". GM is fully aware of this issue but would rather cross their collective fingers and hope your touch screen fails five minutes after the warranty expires and replace the entire center stack rather than fix the (much cheaper) faulty part. From a maintenance and general business standpoint, it's a profitable business model - that is, until enough customers realize the scope of the problem and sour on the brand. . . Many owners on this site have reported multiple touch screen failures. Too bad GM chose to ignore the problem and capitalize on it by passing the buck to us.

Don't get pissed - resist! While you can't prevent a touch screen failure, you can control the exorbitant cost of a dealership repair by fixing it yourself.
    Deafsoundguy likes this.

hightech-guy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Has anyone had this happen in a 2016? I know there were several CUE enhancements with the 2016's, curious if anyone with a 2016 should be worried about this.

Quote Originally Posted by hightech-guy View Post
    Has anyone had this happen in a 2016? I know there were several CUE enhancements with the 2016's, curious if anyone with a 2016 should be worried about this.
    I'd sure like to know that too.

That being said, I don't think people realize that there's a thing called "parts runs". Because I repair a LOT of very complex electronics, I can tell you for 100 percent certainty that all parts aren't equal when they are made. So in essence, the factory may make a 1000 of something, and then 3 months later make a 1000 more. Those 2 batches are different runs using maybe materials or parts from other manufacturers that again have variables. The first run could be "to spec" and the next run had a Junior Mint accidentally dropped in it which may increase or decrease it's quality. So there's a chance that some cars get crappy screens where the next car got the magic Junior Mint run and their screens lasts years longer.

To give you an example of my world, I have 3 of the same digital mixer for audio. The first one has moving faders that have lasted it's entire life and continue to work flawlessly and this console has the most hours. But it's hard drive went out early on. The next one bought 2 years later has had hard drive, CD rom drive, and numerous micro switch repairs. Only lost a fader or two. The newest board has had no hard drive issues, no CD rom drive failures, no micro switch issues but I've had to replace every $50 moving fader on the whole console with hardly any hours on it. Parts consistency is crap. And this is the same with power amps too, some lasting 25 years while others blow up in a few... So I'd suspect car parts are along the same lines....

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

The enhancements to the touch screens (if any) would be with the newer-style CUE center stacks that debuted with the XT5 and CT6. If those are having major issues, forum posts aren't flagging them as overly problematic yet. The older-style touch screens, (used in multiple versions of CUE, but with the same form, fit and functionality) are the real culprits.

ELR statistics, (as measured here) will be very low. With around 3,000 built, and possibly 1% of the owners posting in this forum, data points will be few. Expect more failures to be noted as the ELR ages, if past failures reported on the rest of the CUE-equipped models is any indication.

Being able to replace the touch screen yourself is the best insurance. For the price of fixing it yourself, you could replace your touch screen yearly for ten years, and still shave more than 50% off the price of a single dealer replacement.

hightech-guy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I did a little research on the issue - can confirm what ccclarke stated. It is a rampant problem across all Cadillac vehicles with the CUE system, and not something confined to a small lot size. Quick googling seems to indicate the ATS is the worst - unknown why (position, quantity, more vocal owners, etc). But they are all prone to this, and there is even a class action lawsuit here...

https://www.caseygerryclassaction.co...iAAEgJC0_D_BwE

So I see no indication that a 2016 is better than a 2014, but I do not recall anyone with a 2016 ELR ever reporting the problem here. If you have, please do. Granted that there are only 500 of us, not all on this forum, and less timeframe from 2019-2016 vs 2014. I guess time will tell, but it seems like there is an economical repair if you are patient and handy.
    Deafsoundguy likes this.

m_eaton53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by hightech-guy View Post
    I guess time will tell, but it seems like there is an economical repair if you are patient and handy.
    I'm not so sure you even need to be all that handy.
    Often fixing something like this is just a matter of carefully following directions. All of the tools you need are provided.

HaHa! If you only knew some of the guys I know! Smart guys, but give them a screwdriver and it's like you handed them a computer from an alien world. I just don't get it, I mean some of my friends could not build a square wood box if they had a week to do it. Even my nerdball brother who was a mechanical engineer by trade would have to spend a month engineering just how he was going to demolish a small 12x12 outdoor shed. I had to just go grab a chain saw and had it even with the ground in 20 minutes. It's weird but I think it's just the way our brains are wired. I can't get the guy who's buying my business to even touch a saw. He will pay me to build even the simplest things he needs for whatever...even when I offer to help him build something and get over his finished product anxiety... so I guess you're handy or you're not handy and if you're not handy you will become an accountant or something... which means that yes, I would suck as an accountant.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in