Drooping headliner
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By danog
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Drooping headliner in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have an area near the rear window where the material is drooping a little. I don't have to tell ...
    footbrake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS 4.6,2005 Jaguar X-Type

Drooping headliner

I have an area near the rear window where the material is drooping a little. I don't have to tell you how much they want for a new headliner. Is there a way that I could shoot some GM adhesive spray up there and press it back in place.?

I thought of using a sharp blade and slicing it open about 4" and spray the adhesive in it and then lay it back up. I don't think anyone would notice the slice unless they're looking for it. What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

danog is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 11 DTS 11 DTS

Re: Drooping headliner

HEADLINER.jpg

Caution: Do not attempt to repair or alter the head impact energy-absorbing material glued to the headliner or to the garnish trims. If the material is damaged, replace the headliner and/or the garnish trim. Failure to do so could result in personal injury.

Notice: Use care when working around the head curtain inflator module. Sharp tools may puncture the curtain airbag. If the head curtain inflator module is damaged in any way, it must be replaced.

Notice: If a vehicle is equipped with a head curtain inflator module ensure that the inflator module and tether are undamaged. If tether or curtain airbag are damaged in any way, they must be replaced.

In the picture #2 are the rear Headlining Trim Retainers.
    Omac likes this.

Billdaman1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Re: Drooping headliner

Quote Originally Posted by footbrake View Post
    I have an area near the rear window where the material is drooping a little. I don't have to tell you how much they want for a new headliner. Is there a way that I could shoot some GM adhesive spray up there and press it back in place.?

I thought of using a sharp blade and slicing it open about 4" and spray the adhesive in it and then lay it back up. I don't think anyone would notice the slice unless they're looking for it. What do you think?
    Question, does your vehicle have a Webasto sunroof? It will say it on the handle for the close out panel. If it does, these Sunroofs were considered "Factory" but were not installed at the factory due to lack of capacity in the sunroof installation station at DHAM. The vehicles that couldnt receive Sunroofs at the factory would be shipped to depots to have the sunroofs installed after which the headliners were installed.

On the assembly line in the factory the headliner was installed after the Sunroof was installed, through the windshield opening before windshield and backlite were installed. Installing the Headliner at the Depot where the Webastos were installed required bending the headliner in half to fit it in the door opening. The headliners never recovered from the bending.

The wind "buffeting" when you open the windows helps peel the cloth from the substrate as the glue ages. I tried the repair you suggested a long time ago on a vehicle using 3M spray headline adhesive. It didn't hold. Your headliner is a different material. It might work.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in