2006 Lucerne - Northstar 4.6 waterpump help Please
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 2006 Lucerne - Northstar 4.6 waterpump help Please in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello everyone, I’m looking for a how to or some help with replacing the waterpump on my 06 Northstar 4.6. ...
    adjust68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Lucerne with 4.6 Northstar

2006 Lucerne - Northstar 4.6 waterpump help Please

Hello everyone, I’m looking for a how to or some help with replacing the waterpump on my 06 Northstar 4.6. I see it’s not the easy small WP housing. I can’t seem to find a write up on this style. Also a list of the torque values would be helpful as well. Many thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it.
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Re: 2006 Northstar 4.6 waterpump help Please

The full procedure with torque values is in the online service manuals at www.alldatadiy.com. You'll NEED all the info.

In your case the entire water crossover has to be removed. Nasty job.

FWIW I have not seen a replacement writeup in this site. Google "cadillac forums 2006 northstar waterpump replacement" or something close - see what turns up - discard the earlier threads that will also show.

Thanks for your reply. After I pressed your alldata link, it goes right back to the cadiforums. I’m not familiar with alldata. Is this a site where you can pay a fee for a how to ? I’m really surprised there is only a write up for the other style waterpump. This crossover looks like a nightmare !

LsGsSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V-8 1SF Magneride HUD/ACC

The link works fine for me. Just google alldatadiy. It's 30 bucks a year or 50 for 5 years for the entire factory service manual plus all technical service bulletins released for your particular car (and maybe more)

Quote Originally Posted by adjust68 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. After I pressed your alldata link, it goes right back to the cadiforums. I’m not familiar with alldata. Is this a site where you can pay a fee for a how to ? I’m really surprised there is only a write up for the other style waterpump. This crossover looks like a nightmare !
    Alldata is an online site that hosts the GM/Cadillac service manuals for your particular car - by subscription. It's a LOT cheaper than the www.helminc.com DVD or paper service manuals - you might be able to find one of those on eBay.

There may be a writeup on the later Northstar water pump in "DTS" forum, but that's a sidewinder engine - ???? quite different from yours.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

The 2006 Lucerne Northstar is a sidewinder...

LsGsSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V-8 1SF Magneride HUD/ACC

Quote Originally Posted by chazglenn3 View Post
    The 2006 Lucerne Northstar is a sidewinder...
    Good catch! Didn't even notice he was talking about a Lucerne. So yes, any info found in the DTS forum would indeed apply to his car. Perhaps Sub will come back and move this thread.

Yeah - got DTS, STS, Lucerne and Aurora mixed up. Later "STS" is a longitudinal drivetrain.

Thread goes to the 2006 and later "DTS" forum.

Thanks for the reply’s guys. So am I correct thinking the waterpump replacement isn’t the same in my 2006 Lucerne that uses the socket and appears fairly simple to do ? Will the Alldata have a step by step procedure with pics and torque values ? If so, this sounds like the way to go because this job looks like a nightmare. If anybody has done this job before, any tips or tricks ? Thanks again.

goodfellow is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Luxury II

Re: 2006 Lucerne - Northstar 4.6 waterpump help Please

This youtube DTS tutorial explains the intricacies of doing the job on the 4.6 Northstar -- from start to finish. Watch the entire 2-part series and then plan accordingly. Should take about a day -- if you take your time and have all the parts at hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nusRv0aWw7w

KowalskiTG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS

the water pump job is a huge pain, buy an EGR gasket and maybe an EGR tube as well as those come off and should be replaced when put back, also pay close attention to how the dipstick tube is routed as it's a real pain to get back in place if you aren't sure how it goes. it's one of the last things you reinstall and is very frustrating at the end of a very annoying job. also you NEED to get a good set of ratcheting wrenches (i believe 12 and/or 13mm?), the lower crossover bolts are a huge pain without them, and still kind of a pain even with them lol. I also didn't disconnect the fuel rail from the line, i just took it off the intake manifold and held it out of the way with a bungee as I didn't have the disconnect tool with me at the time.

was a very annoying job, i started late in the day so my car ended up being down 2 days, if you don't work on cars on a daily/weekly basis i'd definitely budget 2 days. also, instead of trying to work around the harness it's just easier to disconnect every connector you can easily reach to get the extra couple inches of clearance to move it out of the way of the bolts

Bee1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 dts premium

Quote Originally Posted by adjust68 View Post
    Hello everyone, Iím looking for a how to or some help with replacing the waterpump on my 06 Northstar 4.6. I see itís not the easy small WP housing. I canít seem to find a write up on this style. Also a list of the torque values would be helpful as well. Many thanks in advance.
    Replacing the water pump on a 4.6 liter N* is about the hardest DIY next to dropping transmissions. Are you sure you want to tackle that job?While you are at it replace tensioner and idle pulley and thermostat for a complete job. Don't be cheap and buy rebuilt or off-brand water pump or you will be doing it all again in about 2 years. Also Dexcool coolant.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply’s. Trust me I’d love nothing more than to have this job done but don’t have the funds to have it done. If I did I’m pretty sure I would be driving a newer car lol. After reading the reply’s I’m pretty nervous but that video did give me a ray of hope. Does anybody have a pic of the crossover with all the bolt holes and torque values ? I’d like a pic so I can draw a similar image on a large piece of cardboard and insert each bolt as they come out to its corresponding hole in the cardboard pic. Thanks for all the help. I appreciate everyone’s time.

Pillow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade ESV & 2007 DTS

The WP isn't that bad. It just takes some time and having the right Delco replacement parts on hand. But it is a time killer, you better have a proper tool collection, and take your time especially getting the gaskets lined up.

Follow Nuggets YT videos and you can do it!

goodfellow is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Luxury II

Check this video at minute 12:22 where he describes the placement of the bolts. Specifically the lower right hand bolts on the cross over pipe, which can't be completely removed, but can only be loosened. They must be left in place to get the pipe out from/between the transmission housing.

Note: the removal procedure this guy used is not correct, so don't follow it! ....but he does show and explain the bolt pattern and bolt restrictions when removing the pipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO6LnxstK3Q

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in