DTS Driver Seat Cover and Seat Foam Replacement Procedure
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, DTS Driver Seat Cover and Seat Foam Replacement Procedure in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Nice "Little" job. Ordered Seat Cover and Foam from GM Parts direct. Tools Needed: T50 Torx Bit Flat Head Screwdriver(s) ...
    Billdaman1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

DTS Driver Seat Cover and Seat Foam Replacement Procedure

Nice "Little" job. Ordered Seat Cover and Foam from GM Parts direct.
    Tools Needed:
    T50 Torx Bit
    Flat Head Screwdriver(s) , Small and Large
    Workbench (or in my case plastic garbage can)
    Cover to protect Sill

Step 1 is to move the seat all the way forward , all the way down, using paper clip remove headrest
    IMG_2445.jpgIMG_2446.jpg

Step 2 is to carefully remove all the plastic trim from the front and sides of the seat. All connections are push in metal clips. Either trim removal tool or flat head to pry the clips and trim off.
    IMG_2447.jpgIMG_2444.jpgIMG_2443.jpgIMG_2442.jpg

Step 3 is to remove the Seat Airbag Fuse from the block under the rear seat

Step 4 is to remove (3) T50 Torx Bolts . (2) hold the seat in place at the rear. (1) Holds the Seat belt to the seat.
    IMG_2454.jpgIMG_2463.jpg

Step 5 is to lift the rear of the seat and push forward to unhook front seat hooks, then tilt seat back. Unhook Air bag Connector and Seat Power connector
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Re: Cadillac DTS Driver Seat Cover and Seat Foam Replacement Procedure

IMG_2467.jpgIMG_2466.jpg

Step 6 is to Lift and tilt seat to fit under steering wheel and tilt on sideIMG_2469.jpgIMG_2470.jpgIMG_2471.jpg

Step 7 is to Add protection to Sill plate and remove seat from vehicle.
    IMG_2472.jpg

Step 8 is to lift Seat assembly to workbench (in my case white trash " bench
    IMG_2475.jpgIMG_2476.jpg

Step 9 is to unhook side clips and rear plastic hooks from seat cover

IMG_2478.jpgIMG_2481.jpgIMG_2482.jpgIMG_2483.jpg

Step 10 is to remove foam and cover from frame.
    IMG_2493.jpg

Step 11 is to Clean Seat frame with All purpose cleaner
    IMG_2502.jpg

Step 11 is to take new Seat cover and foam and assemble on Bench. Turn Cover inside out to line up the Velcro in the cover to the Velcro in the foam. Side to side first then the center . Carefully push it in place and pull sides of cover tight over foam.
    IMG_2514.jpgIMG_2515.jpgIMG_2516.jpgIMG_2517.jpg

Step 12 is to position the seat cover and foam assembly onto the frame and pull the rear attachments through the frame, tightly pulling the foam and cover against the seat back
    IMG_2520.jpg

Step 13 is to hook rear attachments to frame
    IMG_2523.jpg

Step 14 is to place seat on its side and make the hook attachments of the cover to the seat frame one side at a time. Use a flat head to push the plastic into place if needed. On the control panel side lift the cloath over the 2 metal hooks before securing the plastic clips in place. Then hook the remaining front of seat hooks to the frame.
    IMG_2521.jpgIMG_2527.jpgIMG_2527.jpg

Step 15 is to perform a reverse of every PITA step you took to detach the seat from the body, making the electrical connections, carefully reinserting all the push clips into the seat frame, securing the torx fasteners and replacing airbag fuse. Use a helper.

Step 16 is to admire the 78,000 Mile Caddy with the new seat bottom. It fells great to sit in.
    Update: You feel the difference when you pull out of the driveway, doing straight, around corners bumps etc. Super new car feel change. Every bit as noticeable as the full suspension replacement I did last year, maybe more so. Mostly Side bolster support that disintegrates from entering and leaving the seat. Nice soft glove leather look and feel. Well worth the time and effort. About $160 for the parts.
    IMG_2530.jpgIMG_2531.jpg
    Omac and 5x10 like this.

ralph1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Platinum. gone: 04 Deville, 76 Eldo conv, 74 Fltwd

Re: DTS Driver Seat Cover and Seat Foam Replacement Procedure

Thanks, that will be useful as our cars get older and our butts bigger.

Where did you get the parts? $160 is a bargain compared to what I remember from GMpartsdirect, though I may be thinking of the full seat cover prices.

I've tried adding foam to the rectangular part of the cushion and subtracting that side bulge that digs into my thighs. I'm still getting some pinching from the bolsters, and I can't decide whether to cut foam off the sides or add more to the middle. I don't want more wrinkles in the leather or my head poking the ceiling.

Allow me to add my observations on seat cooler performance caused by cushion foam problems here:

https://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...ater-runs.html

I made an aborted attempt at switching cooler modules with the passenger seat because my side has switched off after a few hours, but it's difficult to reach the nuts that hold it on. There isn't much room for the socket wrench, extended or not, and my glasses kept falling off. I'm hoping the foam collapse was causing the shutdown, but it may be months before I take another long trip.

metalrain is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS/2008 awd SRX V8

Excellent write up!

Very useful information here. This needs to be in the "sticky" section
    As our vehicles get old, this will be a nice self repair to do.
    Good Job, and thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph1960 View Post
    Thanks, that will be useful as our cars get older and our butts bigger.

Where did you get the parts? $160 is a bargain compared to what I remember from GMpartsdirect, though I may be thinking of the full seat cover prices.

My mistake, the lowest price seller of the OEM parts was GM Parts Mania. Cushion 15216256 - 63$; Leather Seat Cover -Shale 15881952 - $84 + 19$ total shipping for both. The foam on my seat for a 2006 was made in August 2005 . 14 years is more than the Foam can stand up to . The difference in deflection between the old foam and the new foam is more than 50% (I measured the full displacement between a 10 Lb weight on the front corner old to new).

Best $160 mod ever! The new seat cover and foam makes the DTS scream "Im not old Im a 2019 Caddy"! Passenger and rear seats now have bottom envy :^) Although you will see the difference between the existing seat back and the new seat bottom when the seat is outside the car, you really don't notice it much when the seat is in car position day or night. IMHO it would be a waste of money for me to swap the seat back leather out.

Do you think it could be done without pulling the seat from the car? I suspect the side against the console might be hard to deal with, perhaps easier if the front and outboard side are detached first, and I haven't looked at how the cover is attached at the hinge area. Is that similar to the front?

Do you think the foam alone could be replaced without completely detaching the cover from the seat? That might all that some people need (or want) to do.

You might try a little saddle soap on the back cover to spiff it up. Removing it is probably a much bigger pain because of the side airbag.

We have the same recycling bin! Except mine is still covered in pollen.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph1960 View Post
    Do you think it could be done without pulling the seat from the car? I suspect the side against the console might be hard to deal with, perhaps easier if the front and outboard side are detached first, and I haven't looked at how the cover is attached at the hinge area. Is that similar to the front?

Do you think the foam alone could be replaced without completely detaching the cover from the seat? That might all that some people need (or want) to do.
    I gave plenty of thought to doing the job without removing the seat. Unless there is a real fancy trick that Upholstery shops use, it cant be done properly without removing the seat. Console is in the way of securing the RH clips. I installed a seat heater in my wife's Avalanche without removing the foam or seat, but that only required removing the clips at the front of seat and the outer clips and stuffing the heater pad between the foam and the cover..

In this case a lot more room for your hands to work. It worked ok, but the cover never fit the same as original afterwards. You need the foam out and on a table to fit the cover properly.

When installing, the seat foam and cover assembly is pulled tight into the bite line between the seat back and bottom and then the cloth of the seat cover has two clips that are clipped around a horizontal rod at the seat base..

Would be very very tough to do in car position.

Omac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance Lux III

I replaced mine last year. I unbolted the seat but left it in the car. Just lay the seat back on the back seat. Much easier that way.

----

Quote Originally Posted by Omac View Post
    I replaced mine last year. I unbolted the seat but left it in the car. Just lay the seat back on the back seat. Much easier that way.
    Interesting method, cool that it worked for you. However, I hate working on my knees and wouldn't waste the effort and all the contortion involved in properly fitting the clips into place on the frame in the vehicle.

The superior ergonomics of having the seat frame and bite line at chest level to properly do the work made the 45 seconds to get the seat out and lifted to the white trash bench and the 45 seconds to put it back in the vehicle well worth the extra minute and a half.

Having it on the white trash bench made flipping it side to side to facilitate securing the cross car clips a breeze, but that did take like 5 extra seconds a side to flip it. Also, would not have liberally sprayed cleaner all over the top and bottom of the frame and mechanism if it was still in the vehicle.

Much easier to do it way I show in the procedure above, and I easily lifted it in and out by myself :^)

At GM we calculated that when an assembler enters or leans his or her body into a vehicle to install a part or parts, approximately 50% of his or her time was consumed in wasted effort due to the ergonomic disadvantage of leaning /kneeling etc. Building the DTS at DHAM you would very rarely would see an operator enter a vehicle to do work, and almost never would see someone working on knees. Chest height is nearly always the optimum work position.

timman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 cadillac deville 2007 DTS Luxery 1.

I have been looking for a "cashmere" colored one for a while. Part # 15881968. Comes up discontinued. Any help Billdaman 1 ???? Ty , Tim 2007 DTS

Im not completely sure about the Cashmere. I have a DK Cashmere Steering Wheel and Dash pad, but Shale colored seats. If you email those guys at the GM Parts depot with your VIN they can square you up with the part number. Most of the time an updated part number replaces rhe discontinued one.
    timman likes this.

I checked the sites I've been browsing lately, and all show it's been discontinued.

You can still get a passenger side one for non-heated seats:
    https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...QtNmwtdjgtZ2Fz

EDIT: this link goes to the seat back cover, not the cushion as it said on the diagram. I had a similar problem ordering the seat trim piece--the picture didn't match what the part number actually was.

I'd find a car with shale seats to see how different the color is.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in