Front Cam Cover Colour
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Front Cam Cover Colour in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    bjc789 is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville Concours

Front Cam Cover Colour

Hi folks,

Been checking around and haven’t found any reference on what colour the front cam cover is.

I blasted mine to remove spotty and bubbled original finish. Now I want to paint it something close to the original colour.

Is there a colour code, or a known paint that is ‘close’? (Like a Duplicolor, for instance.)

Is it supposed to be the same colour as the top cover?

Thanks

Bjc789

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it.
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Re: Front Cam Cover Colour

The cam covers were painted the same silver-metallic color as the beauty cover. The actual color and maybe the color code are probably hidden somewhere in the GM archives. It's not a standard off-the-shelf DupliColor - maybe in a large enough display that covers engine paints too.

Here's some homework ......... https://www.google.com/search?q=cadi...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Enterprise 4Cam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 SRX4/V8,'04 Deville/DTS-clone,'40's/'60's sedans/coupes

I have had good luck with a few of these, on a lot of projects. VHT is excellent, even RO is good on stuff.
    May be worth a can or 2 to see 'how close' it is.

https://4wdlife.com/best-engine-paints

This is what I usually do if it is not going to 'judged' car shows, might take a couple trys, so I have inventory over the years. hahaha
    Take it off, make sure it is clean, hospital clean. A light/soft brush 'final' scrub with acetone or 91%alc and blowdry.
    If you can get 'LA's Awesome' cleaner/degreaser it works good @ $1 a quart at the 'dollar' type stores.

You can also take the top/intake cover off, to an 'automotive paint store/supply', and they will match it, in pints/quarts/whatever,,,even put it in a spray bomb for you. Those spray cans are a little pricy @ $20 or so. Handy as hell though on the right project. Any kind of paint lac/enamel even 2stage for a few bucks more.

I prefer that, and I have 1000's in spray equip/compressor...but no booth. So the mess, and standstill of everything else while painting I avoid. And paint/reducers/all in, is very pricey nowadays. Only big projects/full panels.

Good Luck!

Glad I don't have the earlier 'pretty' cover, I'd be obsessing on some 'wrinkle red' and buffed fins.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

The covers are magnesium I believe, think i used ecthing primer but been so long can't remember.

bjc789 is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville Concours

Thanks for your replies.

I will try to match the top cover with whatever I can find.
    Yes I heard they are magnesium also. I plan to sand down the blasted surface a little. Apply etching primer. Then a regular primer, and finally the colour coat. A spray can would be ideal, since I am backyarding it.
    Same for the rear cover, except it is getting a semi-gloss black, also like factory.

Bjc789

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in