97 Deville Starter Motor question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 97 Deville Starter Motor question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So I pulled the air intake manifold off today to try and fix an intermittent-starting-turned-never-starting problem. (lol the red cable ...
    corgibuttes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville Base

97 Deville Starter Motor question

So I pulled the air intake manifold off today to try and fix an intermittent-starting-turned-never-starting problem. (lol the red cable from battery wasnt even bolted on and totally corroded, probably from the inch of pine needles and moisture in the valley) I pulled the motor and solonoid while I was at it to better clean the bolts for the harness when I notice a distinct "rattling" from inside. Sounds like multiple plastic pieces rattling around freely in it. Could this be why intermittent start (single click from solonoid, no associated codes but fairly hefty hit to battery voltage) is now a more permanent situation?

Other things of note: purple wire from relay frictioned through sleeving to expose wire, also starter motor ground strap also with a small exposed spot. Recent work ive done on the car was new radiator (old burst) new thermostat (stuck closed) and new water pump (it wasnt bad but i was replacing the gasket and it's 120k original sue me) and new battery. Waiting on a 10" S heater hose that goes from the T junction to the overflow tank to get in to finish up the coolant system. There was definitely a bit a fresh moisture in the engine valley from me spraying down an accidental (read: i didnt seat the water pump o ring right) coolant spill.

Before opening the manifold up I did try jumping the relay, same condition single click no start, radio fine lights fine dash fine, everything working normal. Apologies, but I cleared my codes after the battery change (which included some module testing and voltage memory error codes) but there were no powertrain or charging system faults, several low voltage histories I associated with the death of the old battery.

I dont suppose I'm asking for fix help as much as "huh my starter is rattling wonder whats gunna happen when I finish cleaning these connections and hook this back up"

Will report back soon.

Also new guy in the forum thanks for all the historical posts that have guided me in conjuction with an alldata sub. Yall are alright.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: 97 Deville Starter Motor question

Usually rattling parts is a bad sign. Think I'd replace the starter myself especially since you have it out.
    Those manifold are great spot for rodents, mine had mice chewing the knock sensor wiring and a nice nest.

byrdman is offline RIP Officer Tara O'Sullivan
    Automobile(s): 2003 DeVille base, 149K miles

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    Usually rattling parts is a bad sign. Think I'd replace the starter myself especially since you have it out.
    Those manifold are great spot for rodents, mine had mice chewing the knock sensor wiring and a nice nest.
    getting to it is such a PITA, why not just replace it while you have the chance? One more thing to rule out for not a lot of money.

Oh it wasnt so bad, getting to it was the easy part, I spent the most time soaking things in baking soda and cleaning all that nasty out. Just got her to turn over and start up, didnt let her warm as I'm still waiting on that hose to arrive. Got the standard history pcm's I was expecting, p0603 memory reset, b1552 ipc kam.

I'll be sure to post about my failed starter motor in a week or two for yall.

Bonus pic of all "the nasty" photo_2019-06-13_21-28-02.jpg

Still curious what would rub the blue and the purple wire from the starter relay so much.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Mice chewed on it I'd bet.

basscatt is offline Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
    Automobile(s): 2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS's, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    Mice chewed on it I'd bet.
    ============================ - the debris sure looks like plastic "crumbs" from rodents chewing -

gunna have to open it back up and stick a trap under there

Enterprise 4Cam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05SRX-N*AWD,04Deville(C1U)DTS-Clone,Vettes&Birds&C1500's

I got a couple dozen mousetraps/bait of all flavors in my home garage. Haven't seen the furry ba$tards lately, butttttt...

The LT5 is the same, starter in the valley, along with the coilpaks as well, and some vacuum lines. Excellent home.

If cats did not make such a mess, I'd have a herd of them.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it.
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Some owners have had some luck - rodent prevention - with balled up fabric softener sheets placed in the valley and near the firewall, away from the exhaust manifolds.

Dryer sheets in the engine bay! This is the best preventative maintenance tip I've ever gotten!

Just wanted to let yall know I made my first major mistake today! I joined the ranks of corner cutters and used a 10-150 ft lb torque wrench set to 7 ft lb for the 89 in lb bolts on the intake manifold and broke one off in the engine block!

Good news is I seem to have gotten really fast at removing the intake manifold.

After getting over the crushing self loathing and vowing to myself to go get a halfway decent inch pound torque tomorrow, I decided the bolt was too small to drill and countersink out. So I found an old caddyinfo post where some poor sap had done the same thing and managed to get it out with a dremel-cut groove and a flat head. Taped up the cylinders with painters tape and delicately got busy.

intakemanifoldbolt_31.jpg

Success. Now to hit up a junkyard cus I dont want to wait a week and a half for a gm oem bolt (that costs 10 dollars!) to come in.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it.
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Those intake manifold bolts should be anything but "tight". Comfortably snug is the ticket. Next time, you'll break one of the bolt bosses on the composite manifold and then you're in the intake manifold replacement business.

How you gunna curse me with the "next time"!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in