newbie Caddy owner of 1993 Sedan Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, newbie Caddy owner of 1993 Sedan Deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; HI All I have a few questions . This 77K mile 4.9, 93 Sedan Deville is my second caddy .The ...
    pjlucky is offline Cadillac Owners Member

newbie Caddy owner of 1993 Sedan Deville

HI All
    I have a few questions . This 77K mile 4.9, 93 Sedan Deville is my second caddy .The other was long ago 4.9 also but a coupe deville Im not sure of the others year but it was very used up.

This 93 has a few small issues like the auto tint seams not to work. The trunk soft close also not working, The radio does not shut off. Such problems right?
    The rest is a near mint interior. And a very fine exterior with one minor fender crack.

First Question is about the antifreeze I have researched this extensively. The answers seem to be confused by not specifying what 4.9 engine the reply targets.
    The aluminum block with cast iron heads predates the Dex cool . Thus the latest and greatest is not always the correct use. Dex cool seams to be meant for the Northstar
    I ask should I flush out this engine and go back to Ethylene Glycol and adding the sealant every 2 years?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

FiftySeriesSixtyTwo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Sedan deVille, 1989 Eldorado Biarritz, 1950 Series 62 Coupe

Re: newbie Caddy owner of 1993 Sedan Deville

I have a 92 Sedan Deville and had to drain the system to replace the oil pan gasket. I put in whatever 2 gallon premixed jug the book on a chain said it needed. It’s had no issues.

Let me know when you fix the trunk. Mines broken too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FiftySeriesSixtyTwo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Sedan deVille, 1989 Eldorado Biarritz, 1950 Series 62 Coupe

Here’s from my 92-93 FSM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ty
    I have the manuals and much more. That was my point . The coolant is orange and that means someone put Dex Cool in and that is according to others, contains destructive organic acids.
    During my pre inspection. I noticed a drop of orange liquid on I believe the water pump bolt. This was confirmed by the mechanic under state inspection.
    I had scanned over all the service docs., and noted that a water pump bolt had leaked back around 40K that was serviced. This time it may be the bolt or maybe the shaft seal.
    I will guess its better to drain and replace with original specified coolant and add the sealant tabs I have some of them.

What is water wetting supplement? This is also meant for the Northstar I suppose?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Nothing wrong with Dex. It's just newer technology than what was available when your car was made. Change it if you are uncomfortable with it, but I'd leave it.

Lay off the tabs. GM no longer recommends them, besides, you already have enough in the system. Too much (regular doses) tend to clog the heater core. If you develop a small seepage type leak that is a PITA to repair, then use 3 or 4 tabs.

Trunk pull down - check and clean the contacts on the paddle switch. That's a common failure.

cadillac_al2 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville

Oh oh, a fly in the ointment. The only weak point of the 4.9 is the water pump mounting. It is very very easy for a rookie to strip a bolt. Is that cracked fender on the same side as the water pump? There ya go. Some ham fisted fat ass tried to fix the water pump but it didn't last. I hope I am wrong. Keep an eye on that drip and pray. My 92 Deville was the best car I ever had (so far). It's been a while since I changed a 4.9 water pump. They are very easy to change. I can't remember if a thread-sert can be used to fix that strip point or if it will interfere with the sealing of the water pump (or something behind the plate). Everything you need to know about your car is in our archives. Good luck.

Ty
    Yes the crack is on the same side.
    The soft close is working,now.
    The second owner took out the switch at the motor. It was still in the trunk. he pointed this out to me. I saw no obvious problem, its just a switch a DUAL switch with a travel limiter and toggle to reverse direction . All the contacts were clean and in good condition so I reinstalled it. I believe some how the toggle may have slipped by and it stayed up. He was maybe unaware of what it is.So he bypassed it some how and used a slam the trunk tactic.

91FleetwoodCoupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Fleetwood Coupe (& 1990 Lincoln LSC SE)

From a reliability standpoint I'd have to say my 4.9 car is also the most reliable out of many cars I've owned. Just keep her gassed up and an occasional eye on the fluids and she's good to go. I have a crack in the passenger fender one would only see if it is pointed out but I doubt it's water pump related. The crack wasn't there when I got it and the water pump has never been touched. Only real issues I've ever had have been starter, battery, and VATS related.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in