'Blinking' 2004 Deville Base
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By basscatt
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 'Blinking' 2004 Deville Base in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all! Well, I bought my '04 DeVille Base model in 2015, with 104k on the odometer. I love this ...
    LHBassist is offline Cadillac Owners Member

'Blinking' 2004 Deville Base

Hello all! Well, I bought my '04 DeVille Base model in 2015, with 104k on the odometer. I love this car, and now, it just turned over 131k. The issues I've had, are the typical window regulators failing, and a dead rear driver's side door that is baffling. I replaced the power steering pump, because the bearing went bad. Having a bit of an issue with the steering becoming hard when the car is hot, and the outside temp is hot. That's not why I'm posting today, though. Just had the 'service airbag' light go off. Fixed that by searching for a solution on here. THANKS!
    There has been from the first time I've driven it, a 'blinking' phenomena the car does. I'll be driving, and all of a sudden, the lights, and accessories' dim' and then come back on. Weird. It does it occasionally, not continuously. Anyone else have this occur? I'd like to fix it.
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
    Automobile(s): 2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS's, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille

Re: 'Blinking' 2004 Deville Base

Quote Originally Posted by LHBassist View Post
    Hello all! Well, I bought my '04 DeVille Base model in 2015, with 104k on the odometer. I love this car, and now, it just turned over 131k. The issues I've had, are the typical window regulators failing, and a dead rear driver's side door that is baffling. I replaced the power steering pump, because the bearing went bad. Having a bit of an issue with the steering becoming hard when the car is hot, and the outside temp is hot. That's not why I'm posting today, though. Just had the 'service airbag' light go off. Fixed that by searching for a solution on here. THANKS!
    There has been from the first time I've driven it, a 'blinking' phenomena the car does. I'll be driving, and all of a sudden, the lights, and accessories' dim' and then come back on. Weird. It does it occasionally, not continuously. Anyone else have this occur? I'd like to fix it.
    Thanks!
    =================================
    and a dead rear driver's side door that is baffling.
    most likely a broken wire in the harness - NOT an uncommon problem -
    CAREFULLY pull the black rubber cover from the door and from the pillar -
    then inspect the wires within -

There has been from the first time I've driven it, a 'blinking' phenomena the car does.
    probably caused by the voltage regulator within the alternator -
    could be a sign of it beginning to fail -
    OR - it might continue to do this for ever -

have you checked for DTC's - Diagnostic Trouble Codes?

THANK YOU for the reply! I and my mechanic, spent some time with the rear door apart, looking in the harness through the door post, and we couldn't find any issues- I think someone more qualified, with more time and expertise, could find it. It really doesn't make sense- as the rear doors, are seldom opened.
    I have the full 'Torque' app, and a 'Saddle' transmitter, just like my mechanic uses. No fault codes were displaying, last I looked. The airbag issue didn't show up on it either. Hmmm.
    As far as the alternator- About a year ago, I installed a new battery. Expensive- the only other vehicle that takes this size, is a Hummer. 200 bucks. Anyway, the battery that was in the car when I bought it, and drove it for over two years, was a good battery, but, not right for the car. So, the alternator IS charging the battery just fine. I really don't want to replace the alternator if it's o.k.. I would think, if the alternator was bad, or going bad- it would have failed in the 27k miles I've driven it so far. This is my first Caddy, so, I am not sure. With my old Mustang GT, the alternator failing, was always followed by a dead battery.. and I replaced many alternators and batteries on that car in the 20 years I owned it.

spotty is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Concours, 05 DHS

I'll be driving, and all of a sudden, the lights, and accessories' dim' and then come back on. Weird. It does it occasionally, not continuously.
    When you say the lights dim, do you mean the headlights, or just the various lights on the instrument panel/dashboard? If the latter, it could be the dimmer or the daylight sensor.

Enterprise 4Cam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 DeVille(EnterpriseRPO-C1U/VX7) current, past '41,'48,'49 sedans,'49,'66 coupes

Actually 'dimming' or more like flashing on/off so quick it seems like dimming? When I think of dimming it is constant, low voltage or ??. but constant.

Rapid change one way/and back is typically a grounding issue, not always, but...newer cars have some 'issues'. Lots of ground points. I have a bunch of GM stuff, and have had not so much trouble with some other makes. They all have their own quirks.

Only way is to verify, and it is time consuming. Need a schematic. need to check all you can find, especially if it is in 'one' repeatable location. I make a copy of the schematic, cross off as I go/clean. It sucks, like the dentist for me. It works tho.

The only light at the 'end of the tunnel' for me is knowing its done, and that there is '0' hope for any fix 'IF' it is a bad ground. We won't talk about how many times I've thrown myself under the bus on electrical, or wasted time/$$$.

GoodLuck

Automobile(s): 2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS's, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille

I have the full 'Torque' app, and a 'Saddle' transmitter, just like my mechanic uses.
    No fault codes were displaying, last I looked. The airbag issue didn't show up on it either. Hmmm.

it always amazes me that some people MUST do things the hard way -

there is a reason we ALWAYS tell members to use the built-in scanner to pull codes -
    that reason is it delivers ALL of the stored codes -
    with one minor exception of the P0300 - specific cylinder misfire -

so - use the on-board scanner and check for DTC's - Diagnostic Trouble Codes -
    if you don't know how - go here -
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...odes-dtcs.html

post any codes you have -
    ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

include whether they are C-Current or H-History -

for code definitions - go here -
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/dtccode.html

here is a how-to video -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PQhWmlbG_A

--------------------------

the codes will flash by fairly quickly in alphabetical order - have your paper and pencil ready -

ABS - Antilock Brake System
    AMP - Amplifier
    DDM - Door Driver Module
    DDS - Driver Door Switches
    DIM - Dash Integration Module
    IPC - Instrument Panel Cluster
    IPM - Instrument Panel Module
    IRC - Integrated Radio Module
    LRD - Left Rear Door Module
    MSM - Memory Seat Module
    PCM - Powertrain Control Module
    PDM - Passenger Door Module
    RCC - Rear Climate Control
    RFA - Remote Function Actuation
    RIM - Rear Integration Module
    RRD - Right Rear Door Module
    RSS - Road Sensing Suspension
    SDM - Sensing and Diagnostic Module - supplemental restraint system - seatbelts and air bags -
    TTM - Tilt/Telescoping Module
    VTD - Vehicle Theft Deterrent

-----------------------------

I would think, if the alternator was bad, or going bad- it would have failed in the 27k miles I've driven it so far.
    I didn't say anything about the alternator failing -
    I DID say:
    probably caused by the voltage regulator within the alternator -
    could be a sign of it beginning to fail -
    OR - it might continue to do this for ever -

THANKS, basscatt.. this information is VERY helpful to me. Do you play bass?

I will try accessing the dash code display... I didn't even know it existed.

THANKS, basscatt.. this information is VERY helpful to me. Do you play bass?

I will try accessing the dash code display... I didn't even know it existed.
    ===========================
    Do you play bass?
    no - I CATCH bass - and have a Bass Cat brand fishing boat -
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in