Heater core failed? Coolant in passenger side floor.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 6 Post By AAIIIC
  • 2 Post By josney
  • 2 Post By TheHammerhead
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Heater core failed? Coolant in passenger side floor. in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hello guys... well first off my cars heater has never worked since I got it, around 1 1/2 year now. ...
    Static1120 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6, 2016 Malibu 1.5T

Heater core failed? Coolant in passenger side floor. (Bypassed now)

Hello guys... well first off my cars heater has never worked since I got it, around 1 1/2 year now.
    Today I started hearing water swishing and gurgling inside my dashboard. I had heard similar noises before but not as loud as these.
    After around 1 hour of driving and letting the car rest for another hour I go back into the car and get a coolant smell.

My passenger side floor was drenched in coolant I took the floor mat off and there was a puddle of coolant.

I'm guessing my heater core failed? could I simply bypass it as a quick fix? make a U Connection on the engine bay where the hoses connect to the inside?

Any other threads on this im sure I had seen this issue before but I was not able to find it again.

Also I did get fogging in my windshield but I was never able to connect it to a heater core failure.

Edit
    (I have bypassed the heater core now, But I filled up around 1 1/2 of the reservoir tank. filled it up once yesterday and added around half this morning with tap water. Can I just unplug the lower radiator hose and remove the amount of water I added and add proper coolant?)
    What if I get air in the system? will it purge itself out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

AAIIIC is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Heater core failed? Coolant in passenger side floor.

Yes, you can bypass the heater core. Just run a loop of hose to connect the supply and return lines coming from/ returning to the engine.

To be clear, you need to connect the supply and return on the engine. "Where the hoses connect to the inside" doesn't matter - that's the heater core itself inside the dash. You don't need to loop a hose to the heater core connections coming through the firewall, because the core is just sitting inside the dash and not doing anything anymore.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, 19x8.5/10" CCW T140s with Toyo Proxes T1 Sports (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Thanks Yes ill connect the lines running to the engine side together. and Ill just plug up the holes running to the heater core, thanks again.

I have bypassed the heater core now, But I filled up around 1 1/2 of the reservoir tank. filled it up once yesterday and added around half this morning with tap water. Can I just unplug the lower radiator hose and remove the amount of water I added and add proper coolant?

Quote Originally Posted by Static1120 View Post
    I have bypassed the heater core now, But I filled up around 1 1/2 of the reservoir tank. filled it up once yesterday and added around half this morning with tap water. Can I just unplug the lower radiator hose and remove the amount of water I added and add proper coolant?
    I assume your cooling system had a coolant/water mix in it before, right? Some leaked out when the heater core failed, but the majority of the cooling system was still filled with coolant/water mix. Now you've topped it off with more water, but you still have a coolant/water mix, just slightly diluted from what it was before. So unless you have some magical power to separate coolant and water, no, you can't disconnect the lower radiator hose and drain out just water and then replace it with coolant.

Where do you live? Unless you live somewhere that gets really cold, you don't have anything to worry about by topping off the system with tap water. If you want, you can buy a coolant tester at any auto parts store; that will tell you how much freeze protection your current coolant/water mix is providing.

Quote Originally Posted by Static1120 View Post
    It will purge itself, which is why you topped it off one day and then had to add more the next day.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, 19x8.5/10" CCW T140s with Toyo Proxes T1 Sports (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

I live in Texas, so the heat gets bad almost everyday. I know coolant comes with a 50/50 mix but after all the water I added im thinking I have a 40-60 mix or even 30-70 mix. I was thinking If I removed the amount of mixed coolant and re added the amount I would get a closer 50/50 mix.

Water is a significantly better heat transfer agent than coolant, so the more water you run, the more efficient the cooling system is. Although adding coolant does slightly raise the boiling point, it's not really needed for that, as the boiling point of 100% water in a pressurized cooling system is already higher than your coolant temp should ever be. The primary reasons for adding coolant to the water are to lower the freezing point (the change there is much more significant than the change in boiling point) and for corrosion protection. Unless you're seeing temperatures below 0F, there's no reason to worry about a 40/60 or 30/70 (coolant/water) mix.

The difference in boiling point between a 30/70 mix and a 50/50 mix is about 5F, and both of those boiling points are higher than your cooling system will ever see.

Read here - http://hellafunctional.com/?p=629.

This is very good info as I did not know about this... Thanks for the information.
    So I shouldn't have to worry about corrosion with a 40/60 mix or 30/70 mix? that was my main concern for wanting to go back to a 50/50 mix.
    Thanks again man ill probably just leave it how it is right now

outsidethebox is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1955

i just put a cup of 100% and a cup of 50/50 in my freezer on -8 degree's
    the 50/50 froze solid the 100% is still not frozen,
    why is this misinformation going around about antifreeze ?
    is it marketing a ploy ?

Quote Originally Posted by outsidethebox View Post
    i just put a cup of 100% and a cup of 50/50 in my freezer on -8 degree's
    the 50/50 froze solid the 100% is still not frozen,
    why is this misinformation going around about antifreeze ?
    is it marketing a ploy ?
    There an awful lot of cars in cold climates, using 50/50 mix, that don't have their cooling systems frozen solid, so I question the validity of your test.

Edit: Not to mention that the physical properties of ethylene glycol in solution with water have been known since the 1920s. So, again, I question the validity of your test.

TheHammerhead is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Base model

I've seen pics of heater core replacement on these cars and it looks like a huge PIA. If I recall correctly, the pics showed the steering column dropped and basically the whole dash from one side to the other removed to get at it.

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Quote Originally Posted by TheHammerhead View Post
    I've seen pics of heater core replacement on these cars and it looks like a huge PIA. If I recall correctly, the pics showed the steering column dropped and basically the whole dash from one side to the other removed to get at it.
    Does this make you recall correctly? lol

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...pictorial.html

KOT

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    Does this make you recall correctly? lol

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...pictorial.html

KOT
    Yes, that's the one! I've had the center section of the dash apart to install an aftermarket double DIN stereo, but I don't know if I'd tackle the heater core should it ever arise.

josney is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

it would be time to trade cars or make the CTS my second car because that would take awhile
    Argent and Argent like this.

Quote Originally Posted by josney View Post
    it would be time to trade cars or make the CTS my second car because that would take awhile
    Luckily the CTS is my second car even though I drive it the majority of the time to save miles on my F250, not to mention the better fuel mileage. I'd have to think long & hard about taking that job on alone. Definitely would shop it around for some prices at local repair places.
    Argent and Argent like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in