Pads wearing uneven Calipers maybe bad if I rebuild caliper will it help?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Pads wearing uneven Calipers maybe bad if I rebuild caliper will it help? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; My pads are wearing more on the inside then the outside the cuase is the pistons not retratacting away from ...
    MRGREBENICK@AOL.COM is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS ly7 (3.6)

Pads wearing uneven Calipers maybe bad if I rebuild caliper will it help?

My pads are wearing more on the inside then the outside the cuase is the pistons not retratacting away from the rotor when my foot is off the break.

If I rebuild the caliper with new rings will this fix the problem?

Or do I need to replace the guide pins and the graumets? I am not sure...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

AAIIIC is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Pads wearing uneven Calipers maybe bad if I rebuild caliper will it help?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    My pads are wearing more on the inside [than] the outside the [cause] is the pistons not [retracting] away from the rotor when my foot is off the [brake].
    How do you know that's the cause?

And how much of a difference in pad wear are we talking about here? Some uneven wear is not at all uncommon with sliding calipers just by the nature of their design. Is this happening on every caliper or just one?

If I rebuild the caliper with new rings will this fix the problem?

Or do I need to replace the guide pins and the [grommets]? I am not sure...
    What have you done thus far to try to correct the problem? There's no need to talk about replacing components or rebuilding the calipers if the simple maintenance hasn't been done yet. Have you pulled the caliper slide pins, ensured they weren't corroded and binding up, cleaned and re-greased them and checked the slide bin boots weren't torn? If you haven't done all that, then start there. For the cost of a little bit of your time and a couple $1 packets of brake lube you'll probably be good to go.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, 19x8.5/10" CCW T140s with Toyo Proxes T1 Sports (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

The wear is in both side passenger and driver side. The inner pads are the ones lower then the other side. Are you saying that is normal? I have greased the pins before summer and replaced the boots before last winter.

I get a slight rub on my passenger side rotor which IV known iabout for some time. It's a small warp I know. Been meaning to change them out. I had them turned @ O'riely for 6$ each thinking that would fix the rubbing so I thinks that might be the wheel hub but that's another topic.

So is uneven wear normal for the inner pad? I don't think so cause auto zone told me that if it uneven wear they would not replace under warranty.

O ur 1st question the wear is noticeably different. And I have not checked the back pads

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    Pad wear should be relatively close. Make sure the caliper guide pins move freely as well as the pads in the caliper bracket. Make sure the abundment clips are clean and allow the pads to move freely. Calipers usually won't create uneven pad wear on its own and it will glaze the rotor that's dragging on.

I would tend to think that if it's the same on both front calipers it's not a sticking caliper, particularly if you've serviced the calipers relatively recently. I'm not sure what "abundment" clips are, but other than that I agree with what jran said - in addition to the caliper slide pins moving freely, the contact surfaces where the pads themselves slide on the caliper brackets need to be cleaned and maybe put a little grease there.

454Casull is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 2.8L 6MT

Abutment clips he means. They are the coated steel stamped parts that the tabs on the brake pad backing plates slide through.

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 454Casull
    Abutment clips he means. They are the coated steel stamped parts that the tabs on the brake pad backing plates slide through.
    Yes I meant abutment clips. Freakin auto correct on these stupid smart phones.

Honestly, I wouldn't have known what "abutment clips" were, either. To me they're "metal brake pad slider thingies".

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Aren't they also called 'Anti-rattle Clips' ?

are the slide pins ment to push the breaks away from the rotor by air pocket pressure. I noticed on the pin that it is rounded out slightly on the end allowing an air pocket when you push the pins into freash grease. So no one thingks I should rebuild my calipers?

I wouldn't unless they have super high mileage, or are leaking. As long as your piston rubbers are good, I would just bleed them. This way you get fresh fluid in there. Brake fluid is prone to water infiltration, fresh fluid is always a good thing.

GreaseMonkey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS 3.6L Black Ice/Ebony

are the slide pins ment to push the breaks away from the rotor by air pocket pressure. I noticed on the pin that it is rounded out slightly on the end allowing an air pocket when you push the pins into freash grease. So no one thingks I should rebuild my calipers?
    Yes, and no. The slides don't push on anything. Hydraulic pressure acts on the caliper piston, which makes the inner pad contact the rotor first. It continues to travel until the outer pad also contacts as the pressure of the inner pad on the rotor draws the outer pad in. Once the hydraulic pressure is released, the caliper slides back to it's normal resting position and pressure is off the inner and outer pad.

Your inner pad WILL wear more than the outer pad. I've done thousands upon thousands of brake jobs, and I have yet to meet a car with sliding calipers that this doesn't hold true on. Granted we are only talking a few millimeters here, but the inner will always wear more than the outer due to the caliper design. More force is always held on the inner pad, and it is also the first to contact the rotor and the last to come off of the rotor.

Could you give a more definitive explanation of how much the inner is comparing to the outer? An exact measurement would help.

Good explanation, Grease Monkey.

are the slide pins [meant] to push the [brakes] away from the rotor by air pocket pressure[?]
    Nope.

So no one [thinks] I should rebuild my calipers?
    Not unless there's some indication you need to (like fluid leaking out around a piston).

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Good explanation, Grease Monkey.

Nope.

Not unless there's some indication you need to (like fluid leaking out around a piston).
    .......that's what I said.............

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in