2004 CTS W/T 3.6 Oil Consumption "Not any more"
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2004 CTS W/T 3.6 Oil Consumption "Not any more" in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Really don't have time to get into a long thread about why I did the 2 things to stop my ...
    Randrball is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2004 CTS W/T 3.6 Oil Consumption "Not any more"

Really don't have time to get into a long thread about why I did the 2 things to stop my caddy from drinking oil. However, with each I do have my own plausable theories and not here to argue my side. Anyway, here are the 2 things I did to take my caddy off the oil diet it has been on for several years now.

1) Removed PVC fitting and drilled the line connection side out to 7/64" and flipped it over and drilled the largest of the 2 valve cover side holes out to 7/64".

2) Installed a K&N filter.

I do not know which single modification or it could be the combination of the 2 stopped my car from using oil, but so far it has not used a drop. It has 155,000 miles on the odometer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS

Re: 2004 CTS W/T 3.6 Oil Consumption "Not any more"

How much oil consumption were you experiencing before these two changes?

chevyhighperformance is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Randrball View Post
    Really don't have time to get into a long thread about why I did the 2 things to stop my caddy from drinking oil. However, with each I do have my own plausable theories and not here to argue my side. Anyway, here are the 2 things I did to take my caddy off the oil diet it has been on for several years now.

1) Removed PVC fitting and drilled the line connection side out to 7/64" and flipped it over and drilled the largest of the 2 valve cover side holes out to 7/64".

2) Installed a K&N filter.

I do not know which single modification or it could be the combination of the 2 stopped my car from using oil, but so far it has not used a drop. It has 155,000 miles on the odometer.
    Interesting! I'd like to hear your theories. Could you please explain a little more what you did with the PCV.

johnys customs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cts 3.6 Auto

^ oh good....i lost too about what he drilled

odthetruth is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Wow. Definitely interesting. You brought chevyhighperformance out of the woodworks with this one. LOL

I'm unfamiliar with how the 3.6 engine layout is, but if it dumps out into air intake box prior to filter, i can see how a K&N would keep the oil OUT of recirculation, but I can't see how it would stop oil from being lost (ala being inserted into the 3.6s nonexistant PCV system, which basically means having the 3.6 dump oil into the air intake box)

Its possible your first mod with drilling the piping a bit larger could be the mod that clears it.

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    I'm assuming the op was taking about the orfice that goes to the breather tube. Check this thread out for reference.http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-addition.html

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Did you install the k&n on the fitting or somewhere else. I swapped out my valve covers and saw that those fittings were clogged. I have less oil consumption after cleaning them out but it is not gone.

Randrball is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I do see where my post caused some confusion. It is my fault for not taking the time to proof read and correct my errors. Please follow the link above and scroll down to the pictures showing the PCV metal fitting on the passenger side valve cover.

1) Removed the PCV metal fitting from the passenger side valve cover using a pair of pliers after removing the vacuum line connection. You will notice there are a total of 3 metering orifices on this metal PCV fitting with 1 on the line connection side and 2 on the male protrusion that extends down inside the passenger valve cover. I just drilled out the line connection side and the largest of the two holes on the valve cover side to 7/64". My goal was to provide more crank case ventilation here so the line on my driver's side valve cover to air intake plumbing box would not see such a large delta P. There is a passage route design feature underneath the PCV metal fitting that is suppose to prevent or minimize oil from being sucked through the fitting.

2) I put in a K&N thinking our after market filters were too restrictive and contribute to a potential delta P, which will encourage oil vapor introduction into our intake plumbing box just prior to the aluminum intake connection. However, I did not have a monometer to validate this theory just put in the K&N blindly with the assumption it can only help.

My car was using anywhere from 1/2 to 1 qtr of oil every 500 miles and tried everything from Lucas, conventional oil, & Sea Foam to name a few. So far this has fixed my car, but may not work for all the cars out there on the oil diet. The presence of oil in my air intake plumbing box lead me to do these mods.

Quote Originally Posted by odthetruth View Post
    Wow. Definitely interesting. You brought chevyhighperformance out of the woodworks with this one. LOL

I'm unfamiliar with how the 3.6 engine layout is, but if it dumps out into air intake box prior to filter, i can see how a K&N would keep the oil OUT of recirculation, but I can't see how it would stop oil from being lost (ala being inserted into the 3.6s nonexistant PCV system, which basically means having the 3.6 dump oil into the air intake box)

Its possible your first mod with drilling the piping a bit larger could be the mod that clears it.
    odthetruth,

I gotta buy you a beer sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by Randrball View Post
    I do see where my post caused some confusion. It is my fault for not taking the time to proof read and correct my errors. Please follow the link above and scroll down to the pictures showing the PCV metal fitting on the passenger side valve cover.

1) Removed the PCV metal fitting from the passenger side valve cover using a pair of pliers after removing the vacuum line connection. You will notice there are a total of 3 metering orifices on this metal PCV fitting with 1 on the line connection side and 2 on the male protrusion that extends down inside the passenger valve cover. I just drilled out the line connection side and the largest of the two holes on the valve cover side to 7/64". My goal was to provide more crank case ventilation here so the line on my driver's side valve cover to air intake plumbing box would not see such a large delta P. There is a passage route design feature underneath the PCV metal fitting that is suppose to prevent or minimize oil from being sucked through the fitting.

2) I put in a K&N thinking our after market filters were too restrictive and contribute to a potential delta P, which will encourage oil vapor introduction into our intake plumbing box just prior to the aluminum intake connection. However, I did not have a monometer to validate this theory just put in the K&N blindly with the assumption it can only help.

My car was using anywhere from 1/2 to 1 qtr of oil every 500 miles and tried everything from Lucas, conventional oil, & Sea Foam to name a few. So far this has fixed my car, but may not work for all the cars out there on the oil diet. The presence of oil in my air intake plumbing box lead me to do these mods.
    I agree with your theory. I think any blow-by makes things worse. Also, I'm guessing we have low tension rings like the LS1's. The LS1's had problems with oil consumption because of ring flutter and GM went through a a few ring redesigns to try an fix the problem. I think letting the crankcase breath better might be the way to go.
    Argent1, Argent1, Argent1 and 1 others like this.

Stuff_buster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6

Hey guys im riding a 05 cts 3.6 180K, I was burning 1 qt / 1000km, by time i was putting in 1/2 a qt every Sunday. I drilled out my pvc orifice to the recommended 7/64 last week sunday, and so far a week in my oil has stayed level under the same driving conditions. Im staying on the sceptical side and willbe monitoring the level rigorously.

My theory on this working is that blow by will increase slightly as the engine ages by mileage, assuming that gm balanced the pvc system on a fresh engine the fixed pvc orifice would only be effective venting the amount of blow by a newer engine would put out. As blow by increases, the fixed orifice would also need to increase in size to accomadate the need for more venting.

If in fact this mod stands the test of time im thinking of adding a oil catch can in the line as im worried that the extra amount of blow by will be diluting the intake with too much crankcase gas and lowering the octane.

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Has anyone tried to modify this system with an actual PCV valve , like the cars used to have ? The ones that worked on vacuum & spring, they seemed nice & simple but used to work well. Plus they were cleanable & re-usable.

simple2me is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black 06/08 Satillac CTS-O

Quote Originally Posted by Argent1 View Post
    Has anyone tried to modify this system with an actual PCV valve , like the cars used to have ? The ones that worked on vacuum & spring, they seemed nice & simple but used to work well. Plus they were cleanable & re-usable.

That's what I pretty much installed in mine except it's inside the valve cover and inside the port that is in the center. I separated the port from the PCV connections on the valve cover and haven't had any issues with mine drinking oil anymore.

GemCityCustoms is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS /Borla/KnN/ custom fogs/headlights/soft top!!

pictures if that would be possible would do worlds of help

Stuff_buster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6

Hey guys checking in on my second week since drilling my pcv orifice, checked my oil and it has stayed level so far! coming from half a litre a week/500km to nothing. I will continue to monitor and post weekly. also id like to put out that when i installed my volant last weekend i saw that there was no gunk on in the throttle body either!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in