Wiper Woes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Kingoftypos
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Wiper Woes in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; ...
    RobJKS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2.8 (2005)

Wiper Woes

A few months back the wipers on my 2005 CTS came on when I started the car, and would not turn off. They are stuck on the second to highest speed. I can not go any lower than this, but can turn them up to the highest speed. The only way to stop them is to remove the fuse.

All suggestions I've seen have pointed toward the motor cover that houses the pulse board to control the wiper motor. I'm in the UK and my car is RHD, so the part for this is expensive (https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/g...-88958126.html).

I did manage to get one from a salvage over here though for £10 (bargain), as the guy told me the wipers on his CTS outright don't come on. I presumed this would be down to the motor, not the board, so paid the £10 for the board.

Fitted it today, but the problem still persists - wipers stuck on second highest speed, so I am guessing the board was actually fine.

Only thing I can think of now is the wiper motor itself, but again, RHD so ridiculous price to get imported and seeing as the wipers do actually work Im not sure that is the problem. Before I do this, I'm wondering if there could be any other electrical fault that anyone knows about.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Re: Wiper Woes

I doubt it’s the motor.

With the facts you stated... wipers actually work, so motor is good. Wipers turn on as soon as car is turned on, normally this would be the logic board. But you replaced it and it’s giving the same problem. Albeit an used one from a car that didn’t have working wipers. It’s quite possible this new board has the same problem. Just the previous car had other issues for the non-working part.

So now, if I were you. Remove the cover for the steering wheel column and unplug the cable to the wiper controls. If the wipers stop, then I would point to the wiper controller stock. If however they continue to wipe, then somewhere between the column and logic board. If you can, with the logic board unplugged and controller stock unplugged. Test each wire with a meter to see if there are any shorts between the wires.

KOT
    RyanY, deepstuff and RobJKS like this.

Cheers KOT.

Wanted to look into your suggestion straight away, so set about getting to the wiper controller stock today.

Unfortunately, I got stuck when it came to removing the ignition cylinder. Was following this video, but cannot for the life of me get the thing out. Vid starts at relevant point: https://youtu.be/N05Mmyz6T04?t=229

Can not work out what exactly he is doing when sticking that t20 in hole. When I stick mine in, I feel nothing, no button or anything like that. Not sure if Im meant to. If you have taken one of these out before and have any pointers I would appreciate them.

I assume there is a button of sorts in there that will release the switch. It may require you to insert the key and slightly turn it to on, if not the on, position. As you really don’t want the switch to come out with the key out... other wise that would be a security issue.

KOT

Yep, you got it mate. Had to turn the key right round to run position and then put the t20 in.

Unfortunately though, got the wiper stock disconnected and problem persists. Want to test the continuity of the wires now (never done this, learning from youtube), but the obvious problem is I cant get access to both ends of the wires at once with one side being on the steering column and the other under the hood. First thing that comes to mind is to extend one end using additional cable, but I'm not sure if it has to be the same grade as the existing cable or if I can use any cable I choose.

Again, if youve any knowledge on this it would be appreciated.

At this point you are just testing for continuity. Both ends must be unplugged from the devices; motor and wiper stock. First to make sure each cable worked between both ends, which requires a jumper cable of sorts. It only has to be the same size as your test meter leads as far as thickness. Length, well just make sure it reaches the furthest cable end and to the test lead.

The second test only requires to test leads. But again, both ends must be unplugged. For this test you'll need to test each wire to each other.

Lets say there are 6 wires.

Test wires 1 and 2. Is it open? Good. Now test wires 1 and 3, open? Good. 1 and 4... 1 and 5 and finally 1 and 6. Now... go from 2 and 3. 2 and 4, 2 and 5 and finally 2 and 6. Then 3 and 4, 3 and 5 and finally 3 and 6. 4 and 5 and 4 and 6. Last, 5 and 6.

The reason you want to do this pattern is to make sure that none of the wires are shorted to each other and this pattern will make sure you covered all bases with that. I advise you to make a chart of the 1 and 2. 1 and 3 and so on. Write down open or short or even if it has a reading at all, other than open. If it has a reading of 100 Mohms, write that down in the opparate area.

Once you get this done, come back with the results.

KOT

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in