Random Clunking
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ColtonCTS
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Random Clunking in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I seem to be experiencing a random clunk from the rear (almost a thud thud thud) until it gains some ...
    ColtonCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Random Clunking

I seem to be experiencing a random clunk from the rear (almost a thud thud thud) until it gains some speed. The thuds are short lived 1-2 seconds. This is when accelerating either during turns or in up-hill scenarios. The throttle generally has to be pushed 40 percent or more for the clunk to appear.
    I believe this to be in the rear end / possibly differential. Never receive any issues with 30 percent or less throttle. It sounds somewhat similar to when I had my rear differential carrier bearing replaced, but I glanced under the car and it seems that is still intact with no see-able issues. Does this sound like normal behavior for a failing rear differential? I've been reading at it sounds like a carrier bearing could go bad causing similar issues, but I wanted to see if anyone has experience or knowledge with this issue? I haven't looked under to check the carrier bearing, but I wanted to see if this sounds possible.

The car seems to have a bit of a vibration after it reaches speeds of 65+MPH as of recent as well. Overall no other issues besides the normal loud differential that we all experience on these cars lol.
    I do not have much experience with differentials, so any knowledge / guidance is appreciated.

Thanks
    deepstuff likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

greenmachineiijh is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS 2.7L

Re: Random Clunking

did you look into the diff bushing/mount(s)? very common going out. adds clunking vibrations, etc.

Could be carrier bearing for the drive-line, couplers, tranny mount, etc. Just got to get under there and look and pull on things. look for looseness, tearing and separation for rubber parts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in