- 05-16-19 10:17 PM #1Cadillac Owners Fanatic
- Join Date
- Apr 2014
I seem to be experiencing a random clunk from the rear (almost a thud thud thud) until it gains some speed. The thuds are short lived 1-2 seconds. This is when accelerating either during turns or in up-hill scenarios. The throttle generally has to be pushed 40 percent or more for the clunk to appear.
I believe this to be in the rear end / possibly differential. Never receive any issues with 30 percent or less throttle. It sounds somewhat similar to when I had my rear differential carrier bearing replaced, but I glanced under the car and it seems that is still intact with no see-able issues. Does this sound like normal behavior for a failing rear differential? I've been reading at it sounds like a carrier bearing could go bad causing similar issues, but I wanted to see if anyone has experience or knowledge with this issue? I haven't looked under to check the carrier bearing, but I wanted to see if this sounds possible.
The car seems to have a bit of a vibration after it reaches speeds of 65+MPH as of recent as well. Overall no other issues besides the normal loud differential that we all experience on these cars lol.
I do not have much experience with differentials, so any knowledge / guidance is appreciated.
- Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
- 05-17-19 11:48 AM #2Cadillac Owners Fanatic
- Automobile(s): 2007 CTS 2.7L
- Join Date
- Aug 2017
- Phoenix, AZ.
Re: Random Clunking
did you look into the diff bushing/mount(s)? very common going out. adds clunking vibrations, etc.
Could be carrier bearing for the drive-line, couplers, tranny mount, etc. Just got to get under there and look and pull on things. look for looseness, tearing and separation for rubber parts.
- By kimcheejeegae in forum 2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General DiscussionReplies: 20Last Post: 09-26-17, 03:24 PM
- By clippy83 in forum Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD ForumReplies: 63Last Post: 01-15-13, 10:59 AM
- By JaiBoi in forum Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007Replies: 4Last Post: 06-12-11, 05:06 AM
- By b4z in forum Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009Replies: 0Last Post: 03-12-04, 04:41 PM
- By ball4lyfe in forum Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado ForumReplies: 10Last Post: 12-05-03, 02:10 PM