Ughh...Stupid Diff!!! Noisy as hell.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kingoftypos
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Ughh...Stupid Diff!!! Noisy as hell. in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So those following will know I had some bad vibrations and decided to change the diff as you could feel ...
    TheNoachSHO is online now Cadillac Owners Member

Ughh...Stupid Diff!!! Noisy as hell.

So those following will know I had some bad vibrations and decided to change the diff as you could feel the grinding when spinning on a lift. I think I've had a few things going on. The new rear hub assembly was a low buck one and ended up being bad so I can't even say for sure it was the diff or bearing causing the vibrations.

However.....the "new" (junkyard) unit from a 2006 STS I put in is very loud with the typical whine. The old one had a ton of crap on the magnet and even with the bad hub it improved quite a bit, so I don't feel absolutely terrible about replacing it.

Now my question is, and I've searched...is has anyone actually had one fail with the whine or is it just an annoyance? It seems the consensus is that is just noise and not much else. I have a 90 day warranty on the unit but it's the install I don't want to deal with again (at least this year). I plan to drain it in 30 days and see what's on the magnet as a final decision for this year and replace with Royal Purple but i'm curious to know if anyone actually had one fail and how it failed. If it's just noise, i'm at the point of just leaving it and keep it my commuter car and using our Mazda 3 for long trips.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Re: Ughh...Stupid Diff!!! Noisy as hell.

Is the replacement a limited slip differential? Easiest way to check is to lift both rear wheels and hand spin one. If the other spins the same direction, then it’s a limited slip. I would then advise to change the fluid with the limited slip additive as required. You can never tell what the previous owner(s) have done.

This is why I typically change engine oil within a month of buying a preowned car. Unless I can clearly see the oil is clean.

KOT
    Argent likes this.

Yeah, it’s an lsd. It was drained when I got it and I put valvoline 75-90 in and 4oz of lsd additive in. I’m going to drain in 3 weeks, check the magnet and go from there.

Just curious how if anyone has had one actually fail or if when I do the next change just live with it.

RyanY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS 3.6 >120k miles

Mine has a slight whine whenever I'm on the gas but it stops while coasting. Has done this ever since i bought it a few years ago, so I am not overly concerned. If it gets worse I will start worrying!

Also, in a previous post you mentioned that you plan to switch to Royal Purple...this fluid seemed to work well in mine without any extra LS additive. I am now using Mobil 1 but I don't know if one of these reduces the whine more than the other.

Couldn’t wait so I changed in some royal purple today. Noticed a little leakage and found my vent tube linked from the install last week. When I drained it it was definitely a little bit of pressure in there. I’ll chalk that up to the blocked vent tube.

Magnet was fairly clean, I thing chunky but a little on there none the less, could have been left over. Put the new idols stuff in and it still whines but seems a tiny bit better. We’ll see, I’m going to try to get through the next 12 months and then I’ll buy another $150 unit and swap it again. If this is the worst I have to do once a year, so be it. Time to renew AAA and run with it. I don’t see many unit on non v’s completely blow up without plenty of warning so here goes nuthin!

Well here's my last update for a while...I hope. My dumbass probably spent a good $600 I didn't need to. As a parts guy who has run his own stores for years I bow my head in shame in my total stupidity.

The other night I noticed that as the sound has been getting worse it now started to change tone when turning in one direction. This was not the case earlier. So I decided since I had such bad luck with low end hub bearings, why not try the last one the was clearly changed once, probably not that long ago. So last night I buy a Moog and toss it in after work and low and behold, my sounds are all gone!!!

I still have some vibration that sort of comes and goes between 65 and 70 but is very easy to live with. I can't believe what a dumbass I was, however when all is said and done, i've got a good diff now, 4 new Moog hubs with a 3year warranty, new flex disc's, center support, diff bushing and brakes all around. Did a full tune up today as well. She's got 115k on it and I hope to see about 50k more before any more big jobs.

I'll see myself out now.

RyanY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS 3.6 >120k miles

Easy to beat yourself up over things like this, but it was still more cost effective than taking it to a shop. Not very time effective though! You should be good to go for now...at least until the timing chain...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in