Digital Oil Pressure Gauge readings
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Submariner409
  • 1 Post By typhoon
  • 1 Post By NewYorkBill
Cadillac CT6 1st Generation Forum (2016+) Discussion, Digital Oil Pressure Gauge readings in Cadillac CT6 Forum; Hi all, Have a new CT6 3.0L TT and it's doing something I've never seen in an oil pressure gauge ...
    ds9janitor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CT6 3.0L TT

Digital Oil Pressure Gauge readings

Hi all,

Have a new CT6 3.0L TT and it's doing something I've never seen in an oil pressure gauge before and was wondering if any of you have seen this on your cars. Asked the Cadillac dealer about it and they said "don't worry about it. It's probably normal." I don't know about you guys but I don't like "probably" answers.

Under normal acceleration the needle on the digital gauge will fly over to the 80 psi mark and hang there until you back off on the pedal. Also at a steady highway speed the needle will jump to 80 psi and slowly backoff. Seems like happens a lot when going up a slight hill. Then again at other times you can floor the pedal and the needle won't move off the 40 psi mark.

I've driven other GM cars with digital gauges and at the most the needle might go up a couple of psi under acceleration. This is the first car I've had with turbos. Is this normal?

Thanks for any input

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it.
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Re: Digital Oil Pressure Gauge readings

The steady speed jumps are not right ........... and most GM product does not normally run 80 psi oil pressure.

Oil flow and pressure varies greatly depending on engine temps, ambient temps, engine rpm, engine condition, oil viscosity ratings.

Before idiot lights and heavily damped "gauges" it was common to look at a factory or Stewart Warner oil pressure gauge and see the pressure go from 25 psi at one stoplight to 65 psi in the middle of the block and back to 25 psi at the next light. Normal. If a "gauge"moves 1/16" today the car goes in for a "what's wrong" diagnosis.

The only way to tell what's real for your engine is to pipe in a mechanical gauge, run a long flex line to the windshield area and do some pressure recording under various conditions after the long gauge line heats up.

Personally I wouldn't trust a factory "gauge" as far as I could throw the car. Obviously, I hate idiot lights.
    KRDCAD and KRDCAD like this.

markgrey is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just purchased a new 2018 CT6 3.0TT and have the exact same issue. digital oil pressure gauge pegs at 80 psi under slight acceleration. Did you ever resolve this problem? Taking it to the dealer tomorrow for evaluation.

typhoon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX V8AWD- 2012 CTS AWD Wagon-'17 CT6 3.0TT

The 3.0 and also the 3.6 engines have a 2 stage oil pump. The Chevy 6.2 V8 also has a similar design 2 stage oil pump. The variable-displacement 2-stage oil pump saves energy by reducing the pressure and flow of oil within the engine and increasing it only when high speeds and high loads require it.The oil pressures you are seeing are indeed normal.
    Cutlass likes this.

markgrey is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thank you so much for your explanation. Makes perfect sense. Since I am new to GM products I dropped it off at the dealer today for an evaluation. I will be curious to see if they come up with the same logical conclusion.

NewYorkBill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2019 Cadillac CT6 PremLux replacing 2017 CT6#2, Replacing CT6#1

I wouldn't have been surprised if none of these gauges were actually connected to anything . . . just some animation program coded into the infotainment cluster system that make the dials jiggle a bit.

You can make them go away with the cluster menu, anyway. Just a thought.... ;-)
    RedCadi likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in