Motor Trend has a new article with near a 100 hires pictures
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By pkincy
  • 2 Post By CadillacGM
  • 2 Post By Phantom14
  • 1 Post By artscadillac
  • 1 Post By Mullah88
  • 2 Post By RudyF6
  • 1 Post By C&C
  • 1 Post By Phoenixx
  • 1 Post By ralph1960
Cadillac CT5 Forum Discussion, Motor Trend has a new article with near a 100 hires pictures in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; https://www.motortrend.com/cars/cadi...05C1BD106EFD69 As others have stated, I am underwhelmed particularly by the hatchback/C pillar treatment. Shorter than the CTS, longer than ...
    pkincy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Motor Trend has a new article with near a 100 hires pictures

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/cadi...05C1BD106EFD69

As others have stated, I am underwhelmed particularly by the hatchback/C pillar treatment. Shorter than the CTS, longer than the ATS, but kinda butt ugly against their look.
    CadillacGM likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

pkincy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Motor Trend has a new article with near a 100 hires pictures

And here is today's Automobile magazine article on the same subject:
    https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...5496C40BBE75A4

CadillacGM is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac ATS

Ya, today was the big reveal, a lot of different sites have press releases and updates. I like that they went a bit bigger than the ATS for the 3 series segment, should be able to now fit adults in the rear. Other than that; most, if not all comment sections are wondering the same thing, and I have no idea why no journalists aren't talking about how it looks nothing like the Escala concept. It looks more like a refreshed Chevy or Buick. The style of Art and Science has been completely butchered, the ATS/CTS both look much cleaner and luxury focused. This looks like its competing with an Altima or an Accord.
    1969byrdman and RonBaker like this.

Phantom14 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6L AWD Performance

I'm glad that they addressed a lot of the documented shortcomings of the previous cars - gauge design (subject to confirmation of a fully digital option), signature lighting availability, knobs & buttons, etc. - but like others, the overall design doesn't give me a 'gotta have it' vibe. Based on pictures, the black panel at the C-pillar at least looks like glass, and the (etched?) Cadillac script is a nice touch, but there are too many parallel lines going on back there, at 90 deg. vertical and 180 deg. horizontal...where's the drama in that? That fly in the design ointment is really unfortunate, because I otherwise really like the silhouette, wide stance, wheels-at-the-corners look, and the interior looks like a nice place to spend a lot of time. I'm looking forward to the CT4, since it has a more traditional shape to the DLO and the C-pillar trim doesn't appear to be doing anything 'kinky'. In terms of exterior design, I'm also concerned about the CT5 headlights, which don't appear to be anything special, despite the upscale options that GM has in its parts bin (e.g. D-Optic led headlights). That seems like a missed opportunity for Cadillac to step up their technology game, never mind the visual eye-candy impact. If they are something to brag about, it's disappointing that nothing has been announced yet.

What I'm having more trouble swallowing is Cadillac's marketing pitch that this car is meant to replace both the CTS & ATS, competing with the German 3/C/A4. Dimensionally, the CT5 lines up perfectly with the 5/E/A6 - all ~194" long, ~74" wide, with wheelbases ranging from 115" (A6) -117" (5) - CT5 and E-class @116". How can anyone call this a 'tweener' when they're all so close? Pulling 2" of length out of the previous car only serves to align the CT5 better with the mid-sized competition. I guess it's possible that pricing (but entry-level only...lol) will align better with the smaller class of cars, but I'm not convinced that brand-conscious 3/C/A4 shoppers will be lured away by 8" of length and a little more legroom in the back seat, when the trunk is still smaller than the smaller competitors. I don't have much faith that GM will swallow hard and equip/price these cars to make a Korean-style value statement. That's not to say the product won't be 'good'...I just wish that GM would back up their pitch with something that made more sense.

Prediction: the CT4's dimensions will align closely with the Chinese-market ATS-L's - ~113" wheelbase, ~186" long, ~73" wide, which would be about +3, +3, and +2 vs. the ATS. These dim's line up nicely with the current 3/C/A4 competitors, but of course in the vacuum of GM, that's how to compete with the 2/B/A3 products. Heck, even the current ATS dimensions are multiple inches more in most directions, but the added length/WB will address the complaints about back seat space.

In any case, I hope that the reviews are 'glowing' because so far, the first impressions generally aren't, and the Cadillac/GM doubters out there won't easily offer a second chance.
    RonBaker and CadillacGM like this.

artscadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev: 2004+2007 CTS 3.6 - 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux. Now: 2018 ATS 2.0T AWD Luxury

At 1.7" shorter than the current CTS, CT5 is a CTS replacement.

The CT5 replacing CTS + ATS is a fake news exaggeration, only because CT5 arrives when CTS + ATS go away.

If the smaller car will actually be named CT4, then most likely it will be larger than ATS. Smaller or the same as ATS leaves
    a big size gap from CT4 to CT5.
    CadillacGM likes this.

Mullah88 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 3.6L Wagon prem; '06 STS 3.6L base; '98 Seville STS

Ct4 will be the same size as the Audi A3 but will come as a rwd and hopefully awd variant. K8nda miffed on the 3rd brake light, not sure why they didn't extend it a bit more. I can understand why they moved it off the trunk lid but man that tiny thing up there just isn't cadillac.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    CadillacGM likes this.

RudyF6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....

Less HP, more gears, can't get past the c-pillar. Looks just like half the rest of the midsize sedans on the market now.
    Hard pass.
    RonBaker and CadillacGM like this.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac XT5 (2017)

Just saw a walk around (Autoline After Hours show) and my first impression of not liking the styling has subsided somewhat. To me, and this is just my opinion, is that the styling is pretty good and I would consider a purchase after evaluating the features offered, price, etc. The styling (outside) is no longer off-putting to me. Don't know the size of the trunk, but for me, it needs to be at least to the order of what an STS used to offer. Just my two-cents.
    CadillacGM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by C&C View Post
    Just saw a walk around (Autoline After Hours show) and my first impression of not liking the styling has subsided somewhat. To me, and this is just my opinion, is that the styling is pretty good and I would consider a purchase after evaluating the features offered, price, etc. The styling (outside) is no longer off-putting to me. Don't know the size of the trunk, but for me, it needs to be at least to the order of what an STS used to offer. Just my two-cents.
    Will be the same or smaller than the gen 2 cts

dfw_caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Eldorado Biarritz / 2011 CTS Luxury
    FWIW.....my initial gut reaction was that the exterior reminded me of an infinity Q50 or Q70, or the old M37.

Maybe that shouldn’t be such a surprise given that Johan De Nysschen might have had some styling input on the CT5.

Anyone else feel the same?

Phoenixx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 19 Escalade ESV Platinum 08 SRX N* 14 Escalade Platinum

Nope, not for me, don't like the slopping rear roof line, and what's with the little window? I am more for SUV's.

What's with the cars? Thought we were done with cars. However, I would like to see the front of it on a SUV. Higher, larger grilles etc.
    CadillacGM likes this.

This is like going into the xt4 reveal thread and stating I don't like it, I rather they built a wagon instead of a cuv

ralph1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Platinum. gone: 04 Deville, 76 Eldo conv, 74 Fltwd

but there are too many parallel lines going on back there
    That's my beef, too. I can live with the black panel, but it could and should have been avoided. A real window might look silly there, too. I like a nice painted sail panel.

The CT4 has the US ATS's greenhouse, so I believe the wheelbase will be the same. As with the CT5, overall width might be wider, but interior width will be the same. It costs too much to change the structure that much, and they spent it on the CT5 C pillar, unnecessarily IMO.

Both cars have shamefully small trunks. The CT5 lost some because they moved the rear seat aft.
    CadillacGM likes this.

CadillacGM is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac ATS

Quote Originally Posted by dfw_caddy View Post
    FWIW.....my initial gut reaction was that the exterior reminded me of an infinity Q50 or Q70, or the old M37.

Maybe that shouldn’t be such a surprise given that Johan De Nysschen might have had some styling input on the CT5.

Anyone else feel the same?
    I really don't think this is his design. It might sound crazy, but this looks like an early prototype pushed to production. If you look at the CT6 V Sport the last vehicle he premiered before he got canned and this vehicle,the design language is completely different and they are both supposed to be inspired by that gorgeous 'Escala' concept(future all electric Cadillac EV, just wait and see).

Edit: On second thought, completely agree.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in