Licence plate lens bulb unit - thank FORD for that!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BlackBox
Cadillac BLS Forum (Europe / South Africa) Discussion, Licence plate lens bulb unit - thank FORD for that! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    ExRPO1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): BLSd 150hp 2009

Licence plate lens bulb unit - thank FORD for that!

Ok, realising there are now very few submissions to this forum, for those that are still visiting and may have or might in the future experience the issue I've just resolved, then please read on.

Both of the licence plate lens units which hold/contain the actual bulb on my own car, have suffered greatly over the 7 years I've owned my car (since new) due to road spray, salt, the usual detrious thrown up all over the back of the car during the winter months here in the UK. Basically, the hex/torx screws that secure the lens units in place, rusted and stuck solid, even though the screws themselves only screw into plastic lugs inside the space where the lens unit sits. On taking mine out to try and replace the screws, the lens units had become so brittle over the years, both units snapped. This clearly has implications for the Transport Test and obviously complying with the Road Traffic Act.

So, here in the UK, we only have one official Cadillac dealer left and seeing as the BLS was built by the now defunct Saab, I guess chances of getting two new lens holders was next to nil and I honestly think that even if I had contacted the Cadillac dealership, I wonder whether they'd even be able to source new ones and if they did, I don't even want to think of the cost.

Not being one to panic, I decided to trawl the internet and after about 3 hours, I achieved a result I wasn't sure would even pay off. I discovered that the only vehicles that use a similar looking lens unit, was a 1996 to 2000 Ford Mondeo or 2002-08 Ford Fusion. Having actually removed one of the lens units from my car, I found a colleague at work with a 2006 Ford Fusion and compared mine to the one fitted to their car, to discover they are an exact match....result!

Anyway, I ordered a pair off ebay.The Ford pair are better quality, have a proper rubber gasket inside the lens holder and are identical in every sense apart from the spade terminals are set at a different angle by 90 degrees. This is no problem, just connect the wires on and wriggle the lens unit back into the space it sits and all is well. Screwed up the securing screws, switch on and instant light!

So, for those BLS owners that need the part number, it is a Ford part number, 1332916. This is for a pair. If you only want one unit, the part number is 1021802, but to be honest if you're going to replace one, you might as well do both. I won't post any links to individual sellers, but just by putting the part numbers into a popular search engine, you'll see enough pictures. There are sellers selling LED units, but personally, I didn't want them as I didn't want any potential issues with canbus errors.

I paid GBP £10.30 inclusive of delivery for the pair. Be aware, these units sell at anything from the price I paid for a single lens unit, to almost GPB 50 for a pair, which is ludicrously expensive. I have no idea how much a Ford dealership charges, I didn't bother to find out.

As always, my disclaimer, the owner is responsible for any decision they take regarding purchase. But from my own perspective, thank FORD for that!

Safe driving!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

BlackBox is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009er 2.0 T FlexFuel Waggon

Re: Licence plate lens bulb unit - thank FORD for that!

Good morning ExRPO1,

I read your threat about the licence plate lens bulb unit just arround the time you wrote it and had this in my mind since then.

Well, the rusty screws, I know them since years, becaus everythime I open the trunk i see those ugly ones.
    Nevertheless, I did not had an issue with it, because everything worked. Untill my wife tolde me a couple days ago "You are aware of your bulb for the licence plate?"

*Grmmmmlllll* I knew, now I have a problem.

Ok, this morning I checked, what I can do. Well, nothing at this time, because of the rusty screws!

I Think I have do disassemble the mount / plastic, where de opening-switch and the two bulbs are mounted in, so that I have more space to work an may be even can drill the screw out.

So why I'm writing now?
    Just to say "Thank you!" because I'm quite sure your advise will work and help and I just ordered of your recommended two bulb holders via Amazon für 12 GPB (14 Euro) (will do both and than I'm probably done for the next years again, like I do a complete Change of all bulbs if just only one broke in the headlights, as it is a hassle to get the unit out).

And yes, I did not change for LED because I do not know if they are legal and I have my inspection next month, so it didn't ant to go any risk.

So I have now a projekt for the next week....

Once again, thanks a lot.

Thorsten
    ExRPO1 likes this.

ExRPO1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): BLSd 150hp 2009

How did you get on with this?

BlackBox is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009er 2.0 T FlexFuel Waggon

Ups, sorry!

Yes, change was done!

However I should have been more carefully as I have tried!

First of all all 4 screws of the two lamp mounts have been totally rusted! No tool fit. I bought two different removal tool sets, which failed (one did not work at all, the second would work if you have a straight acces to the screw head, which is not given due to the location).
    One of my colleagues told me to clean the screw hat as good as possible and glue a nail into the screw head. Just use a tong and screw it out. I did not tried it but I want to emntion because I heard this tipp later from several others.
    I went "the hard way", bought a kind of a dremel tool and worked with the cut wheels to get a groove into the head of the screw to screw ist out with a normal screw driver.
    I thoug I had been careful, but I did not noticed that the spindle of the dremel tool scratched the paint of the trunk hood.

So after the 4 screws ahd been prepared it was done quiet fast.

Yes the new holder are a little bit under pressure due to the larger gasket. If the holes for the screws will be made a litte larger, than the screw hat will be flat with the plastic.

So yes, Ford parts fit and work.

Best regards

Boxie

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in