Uh oh, Windshield time
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By gbrad
  • 1 Post By felix711
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, Uh oh, Windshield time in Cadillac V-Series Forums; So, last Friday I took my car to Crest Cadillac in Plano and had my CUE system upgraded to work ...
    gbrad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2018 XT5, 2008 Corvette C6 Coupe, 2013 LTZ 3500 Dually, 2016 Chevy LTZ, Z71 crew cab,

Uh oh, Windshield time

So, last Friday I took my car to Crest Cadillac in Plano and had my CUE system upgraded to work with Android Auto via the projection system. The reprogramming went great and afterward my wife and I ate lunch and went for a drive.

Well, a rock got kicked up and hit the windshield put a silver dollar size crack right in my field of view. We called our insurance while driving down the road and made an appointment for yesterday, Tuesday at Safelite.

Having been through this before when I arrived I asked the guy if the replacement would be OEM. He said no, but it's comparable. It did have the "HUD" stamp as well as the "Acoustic Sheild" label. The tint was the same so I agreed to install that one. Mainly because I am using the car for a trip to Memphis and did not have time to wait the three to four days that it may postpone the repair to get OEM.

After about an hour the manager asked to talk to me and took me to the shop. The workmanship was great and the windshield fit great. It was the positioning of the bracketry that houses the camera and circuitry for the lane departure and rain sense controls. It's off centered by about 3/4". So I'll be getting a new OEM windshield next Thursday when I return from Memphis.

I will say that the Safelight guys in McKinney, Tx are really pros and do care about doing a clean, professional job. So I have a new windshield for the trip to Memphis but the downside is I have to go through another windshield replacement next Thursday.

Btw, I did notice a very slight difference in the brightness of the HUD. It's a little less bright than before.

So, if you have to have a windshield I would start off demanding an OEM windshield when you first speak to the insurance company. Normally I think of those sort of things but truthfully I was just so bummed out about the windshield crack and the timing of the trip I just wanted to get it scheduled and fixed before our trip.

It's also nice that these are easy windshields to replace. Not too much trim or parts to remove.
    LAROKE and Mikeyboyeee like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS-V Long Roof 6MT; '10 CTS Long Roof, '16 ATS-V Sedan

Re: Uh oh, Windshield time

I replaced my windshield. I asked for OEM and received OEM. Glad you are being taken care of properly. Rare.

Gus_Mahn is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

How much does an OE windshield and install cost?

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS-V Long Roof 6MT; '10 CTS Long Roof, '16 ATS-V Sedan

In Florida if you have comprehensive insurance a windshield repair/replacement is zero cost to you.

Nick! is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2016 ATS-V Phantom Grey Metallic

I'm right next door to you in Lewisville. Glad to hear it worked out.

Fourthsword is online now Cadillac Owners Member

I'm on the south side of DFW, in the little town of Ovilla. It honestly feels more like a neighborhood than a town. I bought my ATS-V at Crest in Plano, I am glad to hear they are taking care of you! With so few V's made, I wonder how many of us are located in the Dallas area. I have seen two so far, in a little over 1 year of ownership.

felix711 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2017 ATS V
    From what I understand.....for the first year of ownership of the latest year or brand new vehicle. The insurance company will replace with OE glass. If you have glass coverage. After that you can request it but if they have a non OE option....you may not get OE. I've had to do both since in AZ windshields break often. With the non OE glass, I had the same problem....it didn't line up with sensors....so they had to locate an OE windshield. Also...Tinting facilities now have a film that is installed on the outside of the windshield......kinda like you would protect your phone. It protects the windshield from rocks that are kicked up by other cars....which usually chips or cracks your windshield......
    Screamineagle likes this.

Automobile(s): 2018 XT5, 2008 Corvette C6 Coupe, 2013 LTZ 3500 Dually, 2016 Chevy LTZ, Z71 crew cab,

Don't know, Gus_Mahn, insurance is paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourthsword View Post
    I'm on the south side of DFW, in the little town of Ovilla. It honestly feels more like a neighborhood than a town. I bought my ATS-V at Crest in Plano, I am glad to hear they are taking care of you! With so few V's made, I wonder how many of us are located in the Dallas area. I have seen two so far, in a little over 1 year of ownership.
    Hey Fourthsword,

I am familiar with Ovilla. Years ago when I first started in business, 39 years ago to be exact, we use to work as far south as Red Oak, Ovilla and other south Dallas locations.

I saw a white coupe in McKinney the other day. Didn't get to talk to him though.

There's not many of them. I'd like to know how many ATS V's were made in the various years. There was one that I've seen near Gunter a few times, but now I haven't seen that one in about a year.

I have a small business in Plano and drive in from Gunter almost every day. So I drive through Frisco, McKinney, Plano and North Dallas a lot. Those areas are very ripe with all sorts of high end cars and I very seldom see an ATS V.

Quote Originally Posted by felix711 View Post
    From what I understand.....for the first year of ownership of the latest year or brand new vehicle. The insurance company will replace with OE glass. If you have glass coverage. After that you can request it but if they have a non OE option....you may not get OE. I've had to do both since in AZ windshields break often. With the non OE glass, I had the same problem....it didn't line up with sensors....so they had to locate an OE windshield. Also...Tinting facilities now have a film that is installed on the outside of the windshield......kinda like you would protect your phone. It protects the windshield from rocks that are kicked up by other cars....which usually chips or cracks your windshield......
    Hey felix711,

I'll check into that protective film. That sounds like a great idea if it is durable and causes no visual distortion. Like a clear bra for your windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    I replaced my windshield. I asked for OEM and received OEM. Glad you are being taken care of properly. Rare.
    Hey tinman,

I remember you from my CTS Coupe days a few years ago.

Yes, I could have demanded the OEM windshield, but time constraints caused me to accept the other windshield. Fortunately because of the bracketry difference I'll get an OEM now.

Anyway I'm doing well with the temporary windshield installed for my trip and I have an appointment for the OEM windshield install next Thursday.

I remember you especially from your posts about your V Wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    In Florida if you have comprehensive insurance a windshield repair/replacement is zero cost to you.
    That's the way it used to be here in Texas. I think I will have to pay a $200. deductible now.

Ehsan is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS-V Sedan

The one thing that concerns me about the protective film is that your wipers are scratching the film every time they cycle. I would assume that the film would be pretty torn up after a year (depending on how much you use your wipers).

For those asking about cost, I paid for my own windshield replacement. I bought the windshield from the parts department at my dealer and had it installed and calibrated by the service department. They farm out the windshield install and do the calibration themselves. I'm in the Bay Area so everything is more expensive, but I got the glass for about $600 and install was another 400 or so. Right at a $1K total. Didn't have much choice because there was a large crack that was growing and I had a track day coming up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in