Auto Club Speedway Roval
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By RKTROY
  • 2 Post By vb48
  • 1 Post By RKTROY
  • 1 Post By pkincy
  • 1 Post By RKTROY
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, Auto Club Speedway Roval in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I did a track weekend at the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA. We ran the "Roval" which is the ...
    RKTROY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2018 ATS-V 6sp MT sedan

Auto Club Speedway Roval

I did a track weekend at the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA.
    We ran the "Roval" which is the infield Road course plus part of the Oval.
    The banked section of track was intimidating due to the speed, G force, and walls.
    This was my first time at the Roval and my best lap was a 1:57.1
    I hit 142 MPH which is the fastest I've taken my ATS-V.
    There were 2 other V's there, a CTS-V sedan and a CTS-V coupe, but they were in different run groups.

My next track day is the Streets of Willow Springs with the LA Shelby Club, running with the Mustangs.
    Enjoy.
    Blessings.
    Roy.
    gbrad, Renaldo1 and chosmister like this.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Bullwinj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2019 ATS-V

Re: Auto Club Speedway Roval

Nice! 1:57 is excellent, particularly considering you were only hitting 142 in the oval. Sounds like you're driving really well in the infield. Anything below two minutes is quick for that course.

I was passing people easily at 150-160 in the Z06 on the oval and I think my best time there was a 2:01. I would always get freaked out at the banked section and lift a lot. But that car wasn't nearly as good as the V in the handling department.

Streets is actually a ton of fun once you get the right line. If you've been to the V Academy, there are similarities to that track IMO. I should say, as long as you're going CCW, which is what most clubs do since it's safer. Otherwise, you come out of the bowl and straight down a short hill which, if you're not really paying attention, will run you straight across the dirt and across the S/F line. Going CCW is way way safer for that section. Plus, it allows you to really push it in the S/F straight since there's a huge run off area at the end that's also used as a skidpad.

Thanks.
    Regarding going CCW at the Streets, that would be a rare treat for me. Of the 21 days I've been to the Streets, only 3.5 days were run CCW (one organizer had us switch directions after lunch, hence the 1/2 day). The 8 previous days I've run with the Shelby Club, they have always gone CW. They often don't use the fishbowl in back, but you still get the downhill back straight you mention, with the bumpy chicane and hard left before the right left right combination to get you onto the skidpad and onto the front straight.
    You should come join me, either with your V or your Vette. We can show those Ford guys what GM cars are capable of!
    https://www.lashelbyclub.com/dralle-day-open-track

Blessings.
    Roy.

vb48 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Raven Black 2016 ATS-V Sedan

you go Roy!!!
    Renaldo1 and RKTROY like this.

Hey Renaldo1,
    You might be interested to hear that one of the beginners came out to the track with his brand new Giulia Quadrifoglio with only 800 miles on the odometer (that includes the 50 mile drive from home to the track). By his 3rd run session he had his Alfa set to Race mode and his lap times improved from 2:30 at the beginning of the day to 2:13 by the end.
    My friend Bill parked next to me with his bright red 4C.
    None of the Alfas were as fast as my ATS-V, however
    Renaldo1 likes this.

Bullwinj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2019 ATS-V

Oh wow, so you've been there plenty of times. That course was a blast in the Z06, but I'm betting it's even more entertaining in the V. I'm surprised they ran it CW though. Maybe that's because they didn't use the bowl.

I really should get out there. I just have to figure out a good weekend to go. I still have a bunch of credits through Speed Ventures, but there's no reason I couldn't join up with you through the other clubs.

Not surprised your V was quicker. I'm sure some of that is just you being a better driver. Again, 1:57 at ACS is pretty quick for a street car/HPDE. I know the magazines go gaga over the Alfa, but I was genuinely impressed at how good the ATS was at the V Academy. The limits were much higher than I previously thought.

chosmister is offline Cadillac Owners Member

That is really awesome, Roy! I'm not a big fan of Streets, but I will try to keep track of your days so we can run together once. (Next one I have planned is May 25 at Buttonwillow.)

pkincy is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

I love the Roval. Roy, very good lines on every lap. On your 1:57 you actually had to enter turn 5 to the inside as you were passing a slower car. That cost you a tenth or so. Note you also apexed turn 1/2 at about 117 which was 4 mph faster than your other laps. Lots of time to be made up in 1/2 as you have about 7/10ths of a mile from start/finish to turn 3 and 60% of that is in turns 1 and 2. So a few mph will make up some time there. Oly, runs his T2 C5Z06 on race tires through there at 125. Nascar apexes at 160.xx during qualifying so there is more speed to be had there if you want. Having a cage and a halon system and Nomex makes speed in 1/2 a bit easier to do.

It was always interesting for us in the race car. First session, which is basically warm up, turn in to 1 required a light braking. Qualifying (session 2) turn in was no braking and just breathing the car with a bit of lift at turn 1 entry. During our afternoon race turns 1 and 2 were absolutely flat out. It is something you mentally need to work up to even in a properly equipped race car. Given the spec tire (Toya TA-1s at the time) and rwhp limitation and legal gearing we topped out at about 130.
    chosmister likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pkincy View Post
    I love the Roval. Roy, very good lines on every lap. On your 1:57 you actually had to enter turn 5 to the inside as you were passing a slower car. That cost you a tenth or so. Note you also apexed turn 1/2 at about 117 which was 4 mph faster than your other laps. Lots of time to be made up in 1/2 as you have about 7/10ths of a mile from start/finish to turn 3 and 60% of that is in turns 1 and 2. So a few mph will make up some time there. Oly, runs his T2 C5Z06 on race tires through there at 125. Nascar apexes at 160.xx during qualifying so there is more speed to be had there if you want. Having a cage and a halon system and Nomex makes speed in 1/2 a bit easier to do.

It was always interesting for us in the race car. First session, which is basically warm up, turn in to 1 required a light braking. Qualifying (session 2) turn in was no braking and just breathing the car with a bit of lift at turn 1 entry. During our afternoon race turns 1 and 2 were absolutely flat out. It is something you mentally need to work up to even in a properly equipped race car. Given the spec tire (Toya TA-1s at the time) and rwhp limitation and legal gearing we topped out at about 130.
    Thanks Perry,
    I'm still using the front brake pads you gave me with the little chunk missing from them when they were dropped. They are wearing ok and I'm watching them carefully. I'm also pretty easy on my brakes and brake a little earlier and lighter than if I was going all out. This helps save them and I still have a lot of fun out there.

Very perceptive of you to notice I had to change my line when passing that orange Miata on my fast lap. There were a ton of Maxxis Super Miata race cars in my run group (it was Maxxis Cup weekend at the Roval). Many of them were running similar lap times to me, but they were faster than me in the corners and I was faster on the straights. It made for a lot of interesting action since we would get in each other's way at different parts of the track.
    Blessings.
    Roy.

Here is a video my friend Mario made. There are some exterior shots of my Obsession Red ATS-V going down the front straight followed by Mario's red NSX.

Blessings.
    Roy.
    Renaldo1 likes this.

vb48 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Raven Black 2016 ATS-V Sedan

you go brother Roy!!! Thanks for sharing

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in