Borla exhaust on my 2014 Performance 2.0T with manual transmission - Page 3
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac ATS Performance Forum Discussion, Borla exhaust on my 2014 Performance 2.0T with manual transmission in Cadillac ATS Forums; ^Oh okay, I see. I'm starting to think I'll lean this way, and I guess if I wanted more sound ...
    SaveTheManuals is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD

Re: Borla exhaust on my 2014 Performance 2.0T with manual transmission

^Oh okay, I see. I'm starting to think I'll lean this way, and I guess if I wanted more sound I could delete the resonator. I guess one thing I liked about the axleback was there was a mild popping noise that I've heard in videos, guessing the universal mufflers don't have that. So if you don't mind sharing, how much was it to have an exhaust shop install the mufflers? What diameter piping did you go with?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

BlkVee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2013 ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by SaveTheManuals View Post
    ^Oh okay, I see. I'm starting to think I'll lean this way, and I guess if I wanted more sound I could delete the resonator. I guess one thing I liked about the axleback was there was a mild popping noise that I've heard in videos, guessing the universal mufflers don't have that. So if you don't mind sharing, how much was it to have an exhaust shop install the mufflers? What diameter piping did you go with?
    You're right. No popping sound from these. Shop was like $75 but I'm guessing it will cost you at least $100. I think 2.5" was used.
    SaveTheManuals likes this.

michaeldavid0979 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I am getting the Borla ProXS mufflers installed tomorrow. I am too excited! I currently have the ZZP stage 1 kit and the larger throttle body. I know the difference an exhaust can make. I can't wait to hear how the car will sound. I have been researching exhausts for my car for almost a year. I really liked the sound BlkVee's car produced even through video audio on YouTube can be suspect. I was looking at Renick as well. Renick seemed a bit loud for what I was looking for. I just want a deeper more sportier sound. I saw a difference in the exhaust note when I installed the downpipe, and the larger TB enhanced that. The TB was my most recent mod and let me know that the car needs a less restrictive exhaust. It's intaking so much air, but the stock exhaust sucks. Plus, I like the downshift notes an aftermarket exhaust produces. I'ts funny, I think the downshifts with an aftermarket exhaust are a huge selling point, but nobody focuses on this when they do their video reviews. Slowing down with engine breaking can be as effective if not more effective than accelerations in terms of qualifying an exhausts effectiveness. I had a 2002 Camaro Z28 with headers and aftermarket exhaust, and coming to a stop sign or red light turned heads downshifting.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Before.jpg

After .jpg

Perfect! Absolutely perfect setup. It sounds similar to stock only with a waaaaay deeper throatier note. It flows so much better. Feels like I'm driving a different car almost. The stock exhaust was too quiet for this to be a sports sedan. Even with the TB I added last weekend it would still poop out at 4 to 5,000 rpm's. Now it jumps of to 6 and I can still feel it pulling. There is also no lag when I shift at higher rpms. Much smoother through the entire rpm band. Sounds just like I wanted. If you want to have bystanders turn their heads, this setup will not be to your liking. Blkvee, hats off to you for sharing your set up. It is music to my ears!

Sergio526 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldavid0979 View Post
    Perfect! Absolutely perfect setup. It sounds similar to stock only with a waaaaay deeper throatier note. It flows so much better. Feels like I'm driving a different car almost. The stock exhaust was too quiet for this to be a sports sedan. Even with the TB I added last weekend it would still poop out at 4 to 5,000 rpm's. Now it jumps of to 6 and I can still feel it pulling. There is also no lag when I shift at higher rpms. Much smoother through the entire rpm band. Sounds just like I wanted. If you want to have bystanders turn their heads, this setup will not be to your liking. Blkvee, hats off to you for sharing your set up. It is music to my ears!
    I think you just sold me on this exhaust. Throatier, but not very loud and more pull at high RPMs. Exactly what I want!

If that is what you are looking for this is the setup for you! I have a 6 speed manual; I know I forgot to mention that in earlier posts. It's like your stock setup only it flows waaaay better, and has that deeper throatier note. It's still almost quiet at idle, but with this deep rumble or hum. It will be sweet music to your ears. It definitely pulls all the way through the rpm band. You do get more pull at higher rpm's. As us manual drivers know it is a far more intimate driving experience when it comes to performance. You will not be disappointed. Be mindful that it will be a custom job for the shop you choose as these are only mufflers. They will have to fabricate the hangers and so forth. It took my shop 4 hrs. It cost me about $450 in labor, but I didn't shop around much. I had the money set aside. Also, I am in Washington state and sales tax is a b!$%#. But the aftermath . . . . your car will haul ass! It will be a night and day difference from before. To be honest, I scared myself a bit when I took it out on the freeway as it now accelerates faster than I have been used to. It's a night and day difference from the stock ATS I bought last summer. Now if you don't have the Stage 1 kit at least; this won't be your experience. But if you do . . . OMG! I say go for it, and prepare to be amazed.

Kylebennett7127 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldavid0979 View Post
    If that is what you are looking for this is the setup for you! I have a 6 speed manual; I know I forgot to mention that in earlier posts. It's like your stock setup only it flows waaaay better, and has that deeper throatier note. It's still almost quiet at idle, but with this deep rumble or hum. It will be sweet music to your ears. It definitely pulls all the way through the rpm band. You do get more pull at higher rpm's. As us manual drivers know it is a far more intimate driving experience when it comes to performance. You will not be disappointed. Be mindful that it will be a custom job for the shop you choose as these are only mufflers. They will have to fabricate the hangers and so forth. It took my shop 4 hrs. It cost me about $450 in labor, but I didn't shop around much. I had the money set aside. Also, I am in Washington state and sales tax is a b!$%#. But the aftermath . . . . your car will haul ass! It will be a night and day difference from before. To be honest, I scared myself a bit when I took it out on the freeway as it now accelerates faster than I have been used to. It's a night and day difference from the stock ATS I bought last summer. Now if you don't have the Stage 1 kit at least; this won't be your experience. But if you do . . . OMG! I say go for it, and prepare to be amazed.
    I ordered the borla's as well. My local shop pulled up the undercarriage of my car on the internet and said he could do it for around a hundred bucks. The one question I have for you is do you have catted or uncatted DP?

^He said he has the Stage 1 ZZP kit, and that includes a high flow catted downpipe.

^He said he has the Stage 1 ZZP kit, and that includes a high flow catted downpipe.
    I thought you could choose?

^You're right, the picture always defaults to the catted DP so I had that stuck in my head lol.

^You're right, the picture always defaults to the catted DP so I had that stuck in my head lol.
    The odd part is that if you go to DP you can only select uncatted. If you go to the kit you can order either...

Im actually afraid there will be almost zero sound difference besides a slightly deeper sound on my completely stock set up adding these mufflers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylebennett7127 View Post
    The odd part is that if you go to DP you can only select uncatted. If you go to the kit you can order either...

Im actually afraid there will be almost zero sound difference besides a slightly deeper sound on my completely stock set up adding these mufflers.
    Yea I thought they had been out of stock of the catted for a while, but then I thought I saw they got more recently, but now nothing like you said. Not sure, I guess you would just have to call them.

I hear ya, my car is stock and while I think the 400489 mufflers sound good, I think I am going to get the 11844 axleback as I really like the faint popping noise it has and from the audio clips I've watched it's probably more the loudness I want.

Yea I thought they had been out of stock of the catted for a while, but then I thought I saw they got more recently, but now nothing like you said. Not sure, I guess you would just have to call them.

I hear ya, my car is stock and while I think the 400489 mufflers sound good, I think I am going to get the 11844 axleback as I really like the faint popping noise it has and from the audio clips I've watched it's probably more the loudness I want.
    To me, that seems like a good way to go from the videos I have listened to. I am assuming you have a manual considering an automatic wont pop, and, well, your name. I do not want a loud exhaust which is why I went this direction but if its dead silent that is not great either. I will judge by the difference this exhaust makes and just go catted or uncatted after I hear the install.
    SaveTheManuals likes this.

Catted DP. I didn't want to deal with not being able to pass emissions down the road, although I have retained all of my stock components with the exception of the stock DP. I saw a nice increase in performance when I had the catted DP installed according to the butt dyno. The car felt quicker from a stop, and pulled a bit harder through the rpm band. The catted DP with stock exhaust will deepen the exhaust note FYI. Nothing crazy, but it will be noticeable to you as the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylebennett7127 View Post
    To me, that seems like a good way to go from the videos I have listened to. I am assuming you have a manual considering an automatic wont pop, and, well, your name. I do not want a loud exhaust which is why I went this direction but if its dead silent that is not great either. I will judge by the difference this exhaust makes and just go catted or uncatted after I hear the install.
    This exhaust will not be extremely loud or pop when you engine brake (downshift). However, it will be noticeable over stock, very noticeable. I have over 500 miles on it now since install and it has gotten progressively louder. Not so much at idle, but more so wide open throttle like on the freeway. It's very subdued when just cruzing around. I absolutely love it though! I was looking at Rennick in addition to my current setup. I don't regret my choice at all. Plus I was able to keep my stock tips, and the RPE tips sit a bit too low, and stick out further for my taste. Aesthetics are huge for me.

18. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in