ATS Performance Mods - 3.6 AWD - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 20 of 20
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac ATS Performance Forum Discussion, ATS Performance Mods - 3.6 AWD in Cadillac ATS Forums; Originally Posted by NewtPL36 FE3 rear bar on an FE2 3.6 AWD with presumably an already bigger front bar than ...
  1. #16
    Phantom14's Avatar
    Phantom14 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6L AWD Performance
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Langley, BC
    Age
    48
    Posts
    333

    Re: ATS Performance Mods - 3.6 AWD

    Quote Originally Posted by NewtPL36 View Post
    FE3 rear bar on an FE2 3.6 AWD with presumably an already bigger front bar than a 2.0T AWD ....
    I haven't made the jump yet, but some additional recent research has me planning to bypass the 19mm (per previous thread) FE3 rear bar (3.6 AWD/FE2 stock rear is 14mm, front has been pegged at 23-26mm - V6 bar may be thicker than I4's) and go straight up to the ATS-V's 26mm rear. I saw (FB group, I believe) where someone installed both the F&R OEM V-spec'd. bars on their RWD ATS, and the rear compatibility seems to be confirmed by the details for <ZZP's rear bar>. According to ZZP's comparables for ATS rear sway bar options...
    Stock (non V) 14mm solid (presumed FE2 spec)
    Stock (V-model) 26mm hollow
    ZZP rear sway bar 26mm SOLID
    Brand E(ibach) 19mm HOLLOW

    It should be noted that ZZP also has an AWD-suitable <front bar> upgrade, though at 27mm, the few mm you'd gain may not be worth the expense and effort.

    The cost of the OEM parts is very reasonable @<$100: the rear ATS-V sway bar is p/n 84008631, which may include bushings (parts counter would need to confirm). At $170, the ZZP bar isn't unreasonable, either. The attached sway bar links and brackets are the same p/n from base to -V, so the bar and bushings would be all you need to upgrade. That change should significantly flatten your directional transitions, and as Sydtron noted, "...you will adapt." and most likely with a big grin on your face. When there's snow to deal with, I don't expect my snow-tire-equipped-AWD rear end to be any harder to control than when I've had small-block-powered RWD with all seasons, so I can live with that...lol.


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Sydtron is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Age
    36
    Posts
    195

    Re: ATS Performance Mods - 3.6 AWD

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom14 View Post
    I haven't made the jump yet, but some additional recent research has me planning to bypass the 19mm (per previous thread) FE3 rear bar (3.6 AWD/FE2 stock rear is 14mm, front has been pegged at 23-26mm - V6 bar may be thicker than I4's) and go straight up to the ATS-V's 26mm rear. I saw (FB group, I believe) where someone installed both the F&R OEM V-spec'd. bars on their RWD ATS, and the rear compatibility seems to be confirmed by the details for <ZZP's rear bar>. According to ZZP's comparables for ATS rear sway bar options...
    Stock (non V) 14mm solid (presumed FE2 spec)
    Stock (V-model) 26mm hollow
    14mm to 26mm - that is a huge jump in size, although I'm not sure how their solid to hollow transition backs down the expected increase in roll stiffness. Just to throw out a guess, somewhere around 300-400% increase in roll stiffness wouldn't surprise me. If you are only doing the rear bar, that seems to me to be a bit too extreme and could change the balance too much. I'd just go with the FE3 bar personally.
    Phantom14 likes this.

  4. #18
    Phantom14's Avatar
    Phantom14 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6L AWD Performance
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Langley, BC
    Age
    48
    Posts
    333

    Re: ATS Performance Mods - 3.6 AWD

    Quote Originally Posted by Sydtron View Post
    14mm to 26mm - that is a huge jump in size, although I'm not sure how their solid to hollow transition backs down the expected increase in roll stiffness. Just to throw out a guess, somewhere around 300-400% increase in roll stiffness wouldn't surprise me. If you are only doing the rear bar, that seems to me to be a bit too extreme and could change the balance too much. I'd just go with the FE3 bar personally.
    Thanks, and that's valid input to keep in mind - I'll keep on researching things. Using the rear V bar would create a situation where the front and rear bars would be virtually the same size (on an AWD V6 ATS, at least), based on speculation that that bar is on par with Eibach's 29mm upgrade solution. The ZZP bars are 27mm front and 26mm rear, so 'somebody' thinks an ATS would benefit from an almost-balanced setup, but that doesn't automatically mean it would make a good 'street' setup. The FE3 option is certainly the safer choice.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements
     

  6. #19
    NewtPL36 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2017 ATS 3.6 Premium Luxury AWD DAB (Dark Adriatic Blue)
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Canada- Ontario - Anc - Ham
    Posts
    52

    Re: ATS Performance Mods - 3.6 AWD

    So I'm gonna measure my bars with a caliper .... That's the fastest way to what I have ....

    What's RWD V6 FE3 front (??mm) and rear (19mm) ??????

    Once I know how much smaller the FE2 front bar is compared to the FE3 front bar then it'll give me some comparison to go by ....

    Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
    Phantom14 likes this.

  7. #20
    Phantom14's Avatar
    Phantom14 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6L AWD Performance
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Langley, BC
    Age
    48
    Posts
    333

    Re: ATS Performance Mods - 3.6 AWD

    Quote Originally Posted by NewtPL36 View Post
    So I'm gonna measure my bars with a caliper .... That's the fastest way to what I have ....

    What's RWD V6 FE3 front (??mm) and rear (19mm) ??????
    Looking forward to your findings! ZZP indicates the OEM front is 23mm, but doesn't say whether that's AWD/RWD or FE2/3. The V6 AWD bar is supposed to be really chunky already (>25mm???), but that measurement is one of the few to escape confirmation. The front bar on FE3 is alleged to be 25mm, vs. 23mm for FE2.

    As added context, the 'sweet spot' according to this thread is FE2 springs with FE3 sways - for a RWD 2.0T, at least. Upgrading the front AWD bar probably isn't necessary/worth the expense; ZZP's 27mm front bar may be the only AWD-friendly option.

  8. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Genesis 70 Forum | Kia Forte Forum