Dealership Overfilled Engine Oil By More Than A Quarter Inch
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rsingl
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Dealership Overfilled Engine Oil By More Than A Quarter Inch in Cadillac ATS Forums; I've personally done all but a couple of my primary vehicles' oil changes for the past 35 years and, since ...
    ShakingTwoTrees is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2017 Cadillac 2.0T ATS Luxury 8-Speed AT RWD, 2016 Mazda MX-5 GS (Club) MT ST

Dealership Overfilled Engine Oil By More Than A Quarter Inch

I've personally done all but a couple of my primary vehicles' oil changes for the past 35 years and, since this is my first Cadillac, I'm somewhat reluctantly taking advantage of the free oil changes for the first 4 years. After double-checking the oil level after my dealership visit a couple of days ago, I've confirmed that the oil level is at least 1/4" above the dipstick's full marker. I'm guessing that the tech may have mistakenly added the 5.7L of oil required for an AWD whereas my RWD calls for 4.7L. Does anyone know whether an overfill of this magnitude could cause any damage to the engine? I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow to have this overfill documented in my service record and would have discovered it myself before leaving the lot if it hadn't been pouring rain when I left (I'd checked the previous oil change level and it was spot-on). I guess I'll be checking that they torqued the wheel nuts correctly after rotating the tires (which was unnecessary as I'd recently switched from my snow tires to summer tires) and maybe pull the air filter to ensure that it was actually replaced as part of the free service. Rant over...thanks for listening. If you want a job done right, do it yourself!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

3. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Karl_1052 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2018 ATS 2.0T 6 Speed

Re: Dealership Overfilled Engine Oil By More Than A Quarter Inch

I found out that the free oil changes for 4 years is not really free oil changes.
    There are 8 free oil changes, after that you start paying.

I now schedule mine when my oil gets down to 20%.

rsingl is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel

A 1/4 inch extra isn't going to hurt the engine. For track events, GM wants you to keep your 2.0T one quart above the normal fill line to reduce the chances of oil starvation under high G loads. 1/4" high is far less than 1 quart so driving around a few days with that slight additional level no damage was done but you could have them drop the level to normal.
    RonBaker likes this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

AdamJT11 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2015 ATS Premium Sedan 6MT

The owners manual actually recommends running the 2.0T engine a quart/liter above the top of the operating range on the dipstick for competitive driving. So I doubt its enough to cause any issues.

Seen on page 9-6. https://my.cadillac.com/content/dam/...ats_owners.pdf

AdamJT11 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2015 ATS Premium Sedan 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by rsingl View Post
    A 1/4 inch extra isn't going to hurt the engine. For track events, GM wants you to keep your 2.0T one quart above the normal fill line to reduce the chances of oil starvation under high G loads. 1/4" high is far less than 1 quart so driving around a few days with that slight additional level no damage was done but you could have them drop the level to normal.
    Beat me to it by seconds. Lol

rsingl is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by AdamJT11 View Post
    Beat me to it by seconds. Lol
    Well I had to have something to do while stuck on hold with Direct TV and browse the forum was it

ShakingTwoTrees is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2017 Cadillac 2.0T ATS Luxury 8-Speed AT RWD, 2016 Mazda MX-5 GS (Club) MT ST

Thanks for the reassuring replies. I emailed and then called the Service Manager this morning and he claims to have done some checking and is assuring me that the slight overfill is of no concern in the 2.0T engine. I'm thinking I'd be wise to get that in writing and added to my service record should I have an issue down the road. On the upside, I probably won't have to add any oil over my 8,000km + interval as it should still be at or above the full line when I'm due for the next oil change.

11. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in