Curbed a rim pretty hard today, anyone have any luck getting them fixed?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Curbed a rim pretty hard today, anyone have any luck getting them fixed? in Cadillac ATS Forums; Was backing up and not paying attention and curbed one of my 18" rims pretty good, it was one which ...
    bozack is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Curbed a rim pretty hard today, anyone have any luck getting them fixed?

Was backing up and not paying attention and curbed one of my 18" rims pretty good, it was one which already had some slight damage from pulling in.

Debating what my options are....it looks like its still holding air but I need 4 new tires at this point as they are all pretty toast anyway and the sidewall damage in that one is pretty severe.

Was going to see if the tire place could repair the rim (they have a local rim repair shop they work with) but wondering if anyone has had any luck getting these fixed or if I am looking at a new replacement?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

3. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Pezman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS LUX

Re: Curbed a rim pretty hard today, anyone have any luck getting them fixed?

Can't help you with the rims, but if you are getting new tires make sure you buy some with a "rim protect" feature like my continental DWS-06 have. Pez.

Thanks, took it to the tire place today, they contacted the rim repair shop and its more money to fix it than to get a new one....

6. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

SweetBlackATS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6 Premium AWD

Quote Originally Posted by bozack View Post
    Thanks, took it to the tire place today, they contacted the rim repair shop and its more money to fix it than to get a new one....
    I found relatively the same thing. It was $400 per rim to get them recentered (back into a round condition), balanced and refinished.
    The local Cadillac dealer quoted me $1900 installed for brand new rims... terribly expensive either way but I'm going with the new ones. Lol

carguy2015 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 ATS Coupe, Premium 3.6 AWD; 2005 Mercedes SLK roadster; 2003 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by SweetBlackATS4 View Post
    I found relatively the same thing. It was $400 per rim to get them recentered (back into a round condition), balanced and refinished.
    The local Cadillac dealer quoted me $1900 installed for brand new rims... terribly expensive either way but I'm going with the new ones. Lol
    I've had curb rash repaired on both my Cadillac and my Mercedes and the worst that I've paid ranged from $80 to $160 which included repairing the rash and re-powder coating the entire wheel including demounting and remounting the tire. Admittedly, that was simply for curb rash and not actual damage requiring straightening or re-centering.

If OP bozack simply has curb rash and no other damage, repairing what he has would be big bucks ahead than buying new wheels.

quiksilver81 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 ATS 2.0T Performance trim 2007 CTS w/Sport Appearance & Performace Pkg - Sold
    There are a few online stores out there that sell take off or refurbished OEM wheels, they usually run around $250 each for the 18s.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Just for grins and kicks, find your local Mobile Wheel Repair franchise. Relatively inexpensive but not cheap.

Look for your wheels in the 2019 catalog in www.wheelcollision.com - not cheap, either.

sadpanda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '14 ATS 2.0T 6MT
    Curb rash repair is a diy or replace/pay big money thing... Bent rim repair IS A THING and is ligit AF if you have a good local tech.

I had two 19“ BMW rims straightened after a pot hole took out both driver side tires (stock run flats) and four Craigslist C4 corvette wheels straightened. Vette wheels were $30ea? because they were bare and 'easy', BMW wheels were $200? with dismount/remount/balance.

Even if my numbers are not exact, it was WAY cheaper then replacements. That said, I taco'd a polished 5 spoke 18" on my ATS a few months ago (beyond repair) and an ebay replacement was only $100 with shipping so...

Quote Originally Posted by carguy2015 View Post
    I've had curb rash repaired on both my Cadillac and my Mercedes and the worst that I've paid ranged from $80 to $160 which included repairing the rash and re-powder coating the entire wheel including demounting and remounting the tire. Admittedly, that was simply for curb rash and not actual damage requiring straightening or re-centering.

If OP bozack simply has curb rash and no other damage, repairing what he has would be big bucks ahead than buying new wheels.
    this was a bit more than just rash, it was a chunk taken out as I hit the curb hard in reverse, the rim repair shop said they could do it, but the color would be off around the edge where they had to weld in new material and the cost would be up around $400+.....I found some refinished options on ebay for $230 or so but no idea how good they are or how close they are.

Part of me thinks I should just have the place powercoat all of them in gloss black but then I am dealing with getting black center caps. I might see if someone on here has an 18" for sale.

There is an 18.9 on ebay for $350 but I am pretty sure I have the 18.8s as mine is a 14 2.0 luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Just for grins and kicks, find your local Mobile Wheel Repair franchise. Relatively inexpensive but not cheap.

Look for your wheels in the 2019 catalog in www.wheelcollision.com - not cheap, either.
    is this place selling refinished wheels or are these new? looks like MSRP is $600 and they sell it for $350....if that is a refurb there is a place on ebay selling a refurb for $230 no idea on quality but found out that is "hyper finish" and I am pretty sure I have high polish so it is more $$$

Also when it rains it pours as I found out another one was cracked....gah

called the dealership to get a replacement cost, was told that the lowest they could go is $600, looked it up on the web and a parts direct site shows that as MSRP and the sale price of $380...might just pick one up as its not much more than refurb

rsingl is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel

ATS OEM wheels of various styles are common on ebay. Amongst all of the expensive commercial rim sellers you will find a lot of individuals selling rims after they have switched to another style and the price is often very good.

The first year I owned my ATS, I bought a set of 4 new wheels with tires and TPMS from a Texas auto dealer who was taking off the stock setup and putting on aftermarket stuff. My ATS came with summer performance tires on 18" staggered wheels and I wanted a set of all season tires on base 17" wheels for winter use. The 4 new wheels/tires/TPMS shipped were less than the price of 4 new tires from Tire Rack
    RedCadi likes this.

motorcitymetal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

If you live anywhere near Detroit, I would recommend Detroit Wheel & Tire. They refinished all four of my V rims for $150 each and did a great job. You can't see any of the rash or the cracks they repaired plus the baked on finish is much stronger than the spray stuff the mobile rim trucks use.

www.detroitwheelandtire.com/

rnr4mula is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Had 1995 Eldorado, Had 2001 DHS, Had 2005 STS, Had 2013 ATS, Have 2016 CTS Premium

There ia a company named LKQ/Keystone. I think they own pretty much every salvage yard in the country as well as supply collision shops with parts. They also have locations that refurbish wheels among many other things. I had an 18" rim on my 13 ATS that got chewed up and they fixed it for about $150.

MaxxSound is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I have done two repairs through weldwheel (online) and two through local guy, both acceptable work and about same price 250. Local a lot more convenient.

Arminius is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): XT5

Try psychology, Make them fade into the background of life's petty annoyances and they will be superseded as time passes by other petty calamities. Use an old toothbrush soaked in lacquer thinner to remove all contrasting contamination (paint, blood, whatever) from the scratches. Paint the scratches deeply and thoroughly with silver Testors model paint. When fully dry, wipe superficially with a low nap rag dampened with rubbing alcohol. Do something fun and distracting,

19. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in