Center console lights out
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Spiritforce
  • 1 Post By rsingl
  • 2 Post By OHHEY
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Center console lights out in Cadillac ATS Forums; Battery died when I left the car in neutral while doing some work on the brakes, had to charge it ...
    Spiritforce is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T

Center console lights out

Battery died when I left the car in neutral while doing some work on the brakes, had to charge it and when I took it for a ride the center console lights And steering wheel lights are out, I do not pull any codes. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

3. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Spiritforce is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T

Re: Center console lights out

Clearly nobody interested in this topic! After some research, disconnected the battery, reconnected, problem solved.
    RedCadi and Melze like this.

OHHEY is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS v6

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritforce View Post
    Battery died when I left the car in neutral while doing some work on the brakes, had to charge it and when I took it for a ride the center console lights And steering wheel lights are out, I do not pull any codes. Any thoughts?
    I had that happen once just from leaving the fuel/range dialog selected when I turned the car off and then filled the tank up, it didn't like that. Tried restarting the car and it didn't work. Then I got out of the car and used the remote start to start it and when I got back in the car and pushed the button everything came back on. I was trying to think of a way to cause the software to enter the program at a different entry point and it seemed to work.

6. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

rsingl is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel

I didn't see the topic earlier but with current vehicles whenever the vehicle battery drops below a critical level "glitches" often result. This is particularly common when starting with a battery that is heavily discharged or nearing end of life.

These problems often do disappear after disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. When doing this reset procedure either wait for a couple of minutes after disconnecting or wait a few seconds then do what is often referred to as a "global reset" by touching the FULLY DISCONNECTED battery cables together. There are smoothing and bypass capacitors located in most of the modules and these can take a short time to discharge so a very quick removal and reconnection of one of the leads may not allow sufficient time for a full reset to occur. I prefer the wait a few minutes method because you are less likely to create additional issues. This is also a reason why you want to keep a good battery in modern cars because it also acts as a surge suppressor to limit voltage transients on the 12 volt bus. As the voltage tries to rise, a good battery will draw heavy current limiting the peak voltage but a degraded battery with high internal resistance is not effective at providing this protection. With modern vehicles, damage can easily occur when trying to "jump" a vehicle that has a battery in very poor condition. When this event happens, it is much like when there is a lighting induced surge into unprotected house circuits where it is likely some devices will fail immediately but others will fail as a result of this surge a few weeks or months later as the degraded component suffers an early but not immediate failure.

Other "soft glitches" will disappear after you shut off the vehicle AND exit the vehicle. Just stopping and restarting won't be sufficient because with the driver's door shut, retained accessory power keeps most modules active and several primary modules not under the RAP system still retain power for a few seconds after the ignition is turned off. This is why you will hear some vehicle sounds a few seconds after shutdown even when RAP is active because other modules not needed for the infotainment and control systems are powered down after a few seconds even when RAP is supplying power.

And sometimes a hard failure occurs. My 2002 Olds Aurora did this when it was a couple of years old and I was driving in to work one morning. The forecast the night before was for decent weather but it started snowing moderately about half way through my 25 mile commute to work and I decided to change from CD to a local AM station to check the updated weather. Since the last time I had listened to that local station they had gone to nearly 24/7 syndicated talk radio with one of the well known idiots spouting forth. When I tried to change from that station I found that I couldn't change stations, back to CD, FM, or anything else nor could I turn the radio off or turn down the volume. Even using the OnStar button wouldn't override the idiot and I finally cured it by pulling into a gas station and pulling the fuse before my IQ dropped too much GM replaced the infotainment unit under warranty and the service tech had the same reaction I had, it reminded both of us of a scene from the Mel Brooks classic, "High Anxiety".
    RedCadi likes this.

OHHEY is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS v6

A geeky friend of mine said back in the 90s "Now I can build my own computer, but I can't work on my car because it has one".
    rsingl and RedCadi like this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in