Cracked Intake Manifold?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By CBcadiATS
  • 1 Post By CBcadiATS
  • 1 Post By Sergio526
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Cracked Intake Manifold? in Cadillac ATS Forums; 2014 ATS with the 2.0L turbo, 92,000Km (58,000mi) Does this look like a cracked intake manifold, or is this "seam" ...
    nhaimes is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS AWD 2.0T

Cracked Intake Manifold?

2014 ATS with the 2.0L turbo, 92,000Km (58,000mi) Does this look like a cracked intake manifold, or is this "seam" by design? I have been seeing high fuel trims (8-14) at idle and just recently a P015B code has been thrown.

Thoughts?

And yes that is oil sitting at the bottom of the manifold. A towel stuffed into the intake was able to sop that up.

20190504_135136.jpg 20190504_142142.jpg
    20190504_134941.jpg20190504_134933.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

3. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Thandel is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Well I have not seen one crack yet. That is definitely a crack though. Could be the oil deteriorating it. The code is something I have personally seen before, in my case caused by a vacuum leak between the top pcv valve to the turbo. So this could cause the same thing unmonitored air getting through the intake/escaping through the intake..

What mods do you have done?
    Are you planning on fixing it yourself? If so do a write up please.
    My next step in my car is to replace all the vacuum lines and that gasket for the throttle body spacer as I am putting in a boost gauge.. will be putting in a meth kit eventually as well.

Re: Cracked Intake Manifold?

No mods, she's bone stock. Those plastic PCV tubes break easily. I've replaced one already with proper vacuum line. I'll see if I can remove the manifold for further inspection. An epoxy repair may save me over $300 on the part. Maybe someone else here has some history on the part.

6. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Thandel is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    You need to be careful what epoxy you use. Most are not oil safe.
    You’ll need to rough up the area with sandpaper for it to stick. You do not want that plastic in your engine. I would also double the dry time of the epoxy if it gets oil on it to early it will fail.

carguy2015 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 ATS Coupe, Premium 3.6 AWD; 2005 Mercedes SLK roadster; 2003 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by nhaimes View Post
    No mods, she's bone stock. Those plastic PCV tubes break easily. I've replaced one already with proper vacuum line. I'll see if I can remove the manifold for further inspection. An epoxy repair may save me over $300 on the part. Maybe someone else here has some history on the part.
    There are solvents made specifically for welding plastics such as the crack that you have. I would do an internet search and look into something like that before settling on an epoxy. Regardless of what you choose to use for your repair, take Thandel's advice and clean the crack and the area around it with something like methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) or acetone to remove all traces of oil.

Good luck.

CBcadiATS is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Luxury AWD

that to me looks more like a seam. like they molded both pieces and they clip together. I would almost bet that is the case. I would have to take my throttle body off but that looks too uniform for a crack.
    SweetBlackATS4 likes this.

that to me looks more like a seam. like they molded both pieces and they clip together. I would almost bet that is the case. I would have to take my throttle body off but that looks too uniform for a crack.
    SweetBlackATS4 likes this.

Well, the final conclusion I believe to be true is that this is not a crack in the manifold. I have been trying to track down what I believe is a small leak which is generating a high long term fuel trim at idle. Although a crack would definitively be a solid suspect, I do not have the numerous symptoms and trouble codes that would be present if in fact the manifold was leaking through the crack to atmosphere. I spoke with the service manager at my local dealer (a licenced mechanic to boot!) and he confirmed that it's likely a seam in the moulded assembly, not a crack open to an external surface. He had also never had such a issue brought to his attention previously.

rsingl is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel

I would lead towards it being a seam also. When most modern plastics crack, you won't get such regular and symmetrical cracks so that is a seam or molding line from a two part mold.

I have seen vintage "pot metal" crack in an amazingly uniform manner. I restore vintage amateur radio gear and a lot of receivers from the 1930s through WWII used a cylindrical ring of "pot" metal to mount the signal level meter in place to the back of the front panel and with age they would crack in 5 to 12 perfect lines with nearly exact distance between each line. Somewhere over the years many people made a rather ugly repair using an automotive worm type hose clamp to hold the split metal ring together.

There probably would have been an application for it back then if someone could have figured out how to make a ring split into so many perfect pieces when desired instead of with age. Perhaps the modern version is the fracture split connecting rod that is used in many engines now; the rods are manufactured in one piece and then split at the crankshaft end so that the jagged edges along the split line serve to lock them perfectly in alignment when the two pieces are drilled and bolted back together.

Quote Originally Posted by nhaimes View Post
    Well, the final conclusion I believe to be true is that this is not a crack in the manifold. I have been trying to track down what I believe is a small leak which is generating a high long term fuel trim at idle. Although a crack would definitively be a solid suspect, I do not have the numerous symptoms and trouble codes that would be present if in fact the manifold was leaking through the crack to atmosphere. I spoke with the service manager at my local dealer (a licenced mechanic to boot!) and he confirmed that it's likely a seam in the moulded assembly, not a crack open to an external surface. He had also never had such a issue brought to his attention previously.
    Just a thought. because I spent a good amount of money to track this down replacing sensors, fuel rail pressure sensor, etc. I found that the sensor on the cold side intake pipe that goes into the throttle body will sometimes get oil from the intake that is blowby thanks to the good ole GDI system. check and see if that is the case. after I cleaned it off it instantly fixed the problem. I have to take that pipe off once a month and clean the oil out. its not a huge amount just enough to coat that resistor and give false reading to the ecm. also it wouldnt hurt to clean off the MAF sensor too next to the air cleaner.

Sergio526 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual

In addition to CBcadiATS's suggestion, I also had high fuel trims (my LTFT would idle at +14-16, but quickly work its way beyond +20 and even +30) and it would only throw a code if I spent a couple of hours driving it easy (wife in the car). Driving it hard again would clear the code, but the fuel trims were still high. After a lot of time and money spent, it turns out my MAF was bad. Spent the $40 on a new one and she's been running great ever since.
    CBcadiATS likes this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in