Different front/wheel tire sizes on 15 coupe
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rsingl
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Different front/wheel tire sizes on 15 coupe in Cadillac ATS Forums; Have to admit i totally spaced out (did not consider) the non-matching front/rear wheel sizes when i bought my '15 ...
    mikes425 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 ATS 2.0T Coupe, Luxury Pkg. 49.7miles. 2nd Owner.

Different front/wheel tire sizes on 15 coupe

Have to admit i totally spaced out (did not consider) the non-matching front/rear wheel sizes
    when i bought my '15 ATS Lux Coupe.
    I can't wrap my head around how the 1-inch width difference, appearance or performance-wise
    is enough to matter to me.

I can't see any reason on this model as far as installation specs, that iI can't have 4 equally-sized rims/wheels - i.e. if wanted to install rims on the rears that matched the fronts - so I could then
    buy a set of 4 matching tires. Yeah I'd be left with two rear rims to liquidate, but that aside,
    is there any technical aspect I'm overlooking if I wanted to go this route? I mean initially my
    instinct was just to go to all non-RFs, but in the bigger scheme of things, I am not seeing
    where the differential of the width between fronts and rears would ever really matter.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Mike in Michigan

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

3. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

rsingl is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel

Re: Different front/wheel tire sizes on 15 coupe

I have the same tire size split on my 2014 3.6 RWD premium, it came with summer performance tires. For winter I switched to a 17" set of wheels/tires from a base ATS and they fit with the caveat that the lower mounts for the MSRC system intrude into the wheel area so it can't have counter weights on the innermost part of the barrel for the front wheels. You shouldn't run into this issue with 18" wheels. Note that you probably will not be able to run tires of the rear stock width in front without interference which may only show up in sharp turns with the suspension compressed. But using the front size wheels/tires on the back will likely work.

These two different sizes of ATS stock wheels and tires have nearly identical rolling diameter/revolutions per mile so the difference is the size of the contact patch with the road. I really don't know how much chassis tuning was done with the different versions of the ATS to take advantage of the additional contact area of the wider staggered rears but I suspect not much. Some models have very different chassis tuning with different tire/suspension setups and with the higher performance variants of the Corvette you can really screw up the handling when you make changes that change the ratio of front to rear grip but I seriously doubt that the ATS has this level of "tuning" with the factory suspension. If you prefer the look of identical sizes of tires and wheels front to back then make sure your choice clears the brake assembly and doesn't interfere with other parts of the suspension mount and it should be fine.

Now that my daughter's soccer season is ending this week and I have more time I will be putting the staggered summer tire/wheel set back in place. I don't really notice it that much on the ATS where the size difference is pretty minimal and to me the size difference doesn't really stick out. The Corvette Z06 makes the difference obvious with 285/30 on 19 by 10" wheels in front and 335/25 on 20 by 12" in the rear. To me the ATS looks great with either no or a mildly staggered setup but would look bad with a huge stagger while the swept body of the Z06 needs this large stagger to look right.

Alternatively take a look at the current idiot craze in pickups with extremely wide tires/wheels put on spacers where most of the tire and wheel sticks well outside the fender throwing everything the tire picks up at the truck body and everything behind it. A simple bumper sticker that reads "I am white trash" would convey the same message and would be far less damaging to the vehicle and the owner's wallet After looking at a couple of those monstrosities your slight tire stagger won't bother you at all.
    Phantom14 and mikes425 like this.

mikes425 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 ATS 2.0T Coupe, Luxury Pkg. 49.7miles. 2nd Owner.

Re: Different front/wheel tire sizes on 15 coupe

Quote Originally Posted by rsingl View Post
    Thanks for the great information. Much appreciated and gives me some good questions to consider.

6. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in