What tires to get?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Pezman
  • 1 Post By sadpanda
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, What tires to get? in Cadillac ATS Forums; Hello, so my cars tires are towards the end of their life span. Its current tires were the ones on ...
    A_Locomotive is offline Cadillac Owners Member

What tires to get?

Hello, so my cars tires are towards the end of their life span. Its current tires were the ones on it when I got it at 40k miles. It's currently at 91k. It has 225/45/R17 Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZPs. I am unsure what to get to replace them. I am about 3/32 or so above the wear bar so it's not an immediate issue but its definitely time to start looking. I had my car at the dealer today for an oil change and to have a hose replaced and they recommended a set of Goodyear Assurance Maxlife tires. 85,000 mile warranty, they recommended those because my current job site has me commuting from San Diego to Anaheim. So they would definitely be good bang for the buck but i still want a good handling tire. At least as good as my current ones or at least close to it. I am thinking I wont be getting run flats since I have read non run flats offer a nicer ride and last longer. So what tires are people running and how do you like them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

3. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

A_Locomotive is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    BTW I know the goodyears are likely not comparable to the Michelins I have at all. I am looking for a middle ground. Reasonably priced with good treadwear. With the ammount of miles I am putting on my car it doesnt make sense to get performance tires.

oemtech is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Charger Scat Pack- Auto/Corvette LS3-Auto

Re: What tires to get?

I have had good luck with Hankook and Yokohama.

6. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

angel71rs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L Luxury

Non run flats definitely have a much nicer ride than the factory ZP tires did on my car. Harshness and hard jolts gone, so much smoother it's ridiculous. Lot less noise too.

I went with General Altimax RT43s. Small loss in handling when pushed to the limits, but the comfort gained more than makes up for it for me.

If your wheels still have the original TPMS sensors, might consider installing a new set while the tires are off. Info on what I went with:

https://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...nsor-info.html

schwinn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Premium

Continental DWS06. Reasonable cost (lower than other comparable tires) and great performance and treadwear. If you want to cheap out a bit more, then you could get the lower-level in this family, but honestly, it's not worth it. The DWS06 is a great deal and a great all around performer. Besides which, tires are THE most important part of your car as it's the only thing touching the road, so they need to be good.

kbayless3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 ATS - Standard 2.0 AWD

I recently put a set of Bridgestone Drive Guards ( I need the peace of mind run flats give you). Couldn’t be happier with the ride...

Sydtron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD

Quote Originally Posted by A_Locomotive View Post
    Hello, so my cars tires are towards the end of their life span.
    What ATS trim/drivetrain do you have? Update your details.

Quote Originally Posted by kbayless3 View Post
    I recently put a set of Bridgestone Drive Guards ( I need the peace of mind run flats give you). Couldn’t be happier with the ride...
    There were DriveGuards on my rears (255's) when I bought my car. Pluses were run-flat, rode okay (for a run-flat), were quiet, and helped with fuel economy. Minuses - struggled to put power down from my RWD 3.6, non-progressive grip breakaway, crap lateral grip, and not great in the rain (didn't hydroplane, but no grip). The only time they wanted to hook up with heavier throttle was if you were pointed straight, it was over 75F and dry, and the road surface was clean (so about 10 days a year in West Michigan). Anything outside that and you risked sudden breakaway or just spun and spun. I'm sure the softer FE2 suspension and AWD would help with the lackluster grip characteristics though, so it depends on which ATS the OP has. Also OP being in So-Cal, the dry and warm would make the Drive Guards look a bit better.

jeffroeson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Metallic Silver, 2.0L Turbo, Performance, Morello Red

Tires, tires, tires...........a subject with all kinds of experiences and opinions. Mine is both.

I moved from factory RF's at 50k miles. I also have winter wheels for 4 outta 12 months. I'm running Pirelli PZ Nero summer tires now in second season. Based on my experience, they are outstanding for their performance.

Price/expectations/results make this a choice I would highly recommend.

Pezman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS LUX

Quote Originally Posted by schwinn View Post
    Continental DWS06. Reasonable cost (lower than other comparable tires) and great performance and treadwear. If you want to cheap out a bit more, then you could get the lower-level in this family, but honestly, it's not worth it. The DWS06 is a great deal and a great all around performer. Besides which, tires are THE most important part of your car as it's the only thing touching the road, so they need to be good.
    These are what we bought 24k miles ago. Comfortable and Capable. I would buy again in a heatbeat.

However, if they are cheaper, I would not hesitate on the General Altimax either. Kind of depends on your driving style. My humble opinion is that the ATS chassis and almost ANY tire you put on it will handle better than most people can actually drive...Pez.

sadpanda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '14 ATS 2.0T 6MT
    Have any of you driven on a run flat whilst flat? F-ing terrifying. Get regular tires and a spare if you known how /care to use a tire iron... You seem most concerned with mileage but I would encourage you to at least consider wet weather perf. unless you live in the desert... Ive mostly used Yokahama, sumitomo, Michelin, continental. Yoko is hit or miss depending on generation/compound.

No matter the brand, do yourself a favor and buy a good set of high perf tires just once so you know what is possible. Then do the same for winter tires. Your mind will be blown.
    schwinn likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in