AC produces hot air from the passenger side - ATS 2.0T 2016
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, AC produces hot air from the passenger side - ATS 2.0T 2016 in Cadillac ATS Forums; So yet another issue with this ATS car. Absolutely, the worst experience I have ever had with cars. GM and ...
    ATS4EVER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD

AC produces hot air from the passenger side - ATS 2.0T 2016

So yet another issue with this ATS car. Absolutely, the worst experience I have ever had with cars. GM and Cadillac suck big time. So my AC is synced on LO on both driver and passenger side. I get cold air on my driver side and hot air on the passenger side, but wait! LISTEN TO THIS! After I took the car to the Cadillac dealer to fix, they told me, after third attempt, that GM says not to fix because it is a normal behavior to experience +-12 degrees difference between driver side and passenger side and they gave me a pager saying the same with GM logo on it. Is this normal? does this sound normal to anyone here? It doesn't to me. It sound like they are trying to avoid fixing a defect in their product. Has anyone experienced anything like that before? Please let me know.

Also, I trust the difference in temperature exceeds 12 degrees at some occasions, but it is impossible for me to measure. Regardless, it does not make any sense that I am getting temp of 65 on my side and my passenger is getting 77 on their side. No car should operate like this. What .. is GM going backwards? This embarrassing! I am embarrassed every time I take this Cadillac anywhere.

I appreciate any info if someone else experience a similar situation. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

3. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

JP-ATS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance AWD

Re: AC produces hot air from the passenger side - ATS 2.0T 2016

Yes this is a very common problem, with no real fix unfortunately. The worst in my experience is when you need the warm air defroster to work in a snow storm to clear the windshield, but all that comes out is ice cold air when you have temp set to HI. I agree with you, very disappointing and embarrassing for Cadillac brand. The temp control problem has left a poor impression about the brand for many a passenger over the years, not to mention us drivers!
    RedCadi likes this.

rsingl is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel

I have no idea how and why GM screwed up something they have done so well for decades but they did so with the HVAC system in the ATS. I have owned numerous GM vehicles with automatic climate control since the late 1980s and the ATS is the only one with faulty operation. I haven't run into AC problems but for heat and defrost, depending upon the mood the system is in, I have to set commanded temperature to the upper 70s before it decides to add heat to a passenger cabin that is in the 40s and this is with a fully warmed up engine. I prefer keeping the passenger cabin cool (68 is perfect for me) but setting that temp in winter results in no heat even when a bottle of water is frozen in the cup holder after being parked outside for a few hours at a hotel. Other times the heater decides to cook the interior. With the ATS I often have to manually set the temperature and air delivery controls to force the automatic system to create the desired temperature which will be nothing close to what it would deliver with normal settings.

My 2016 Corvette and 2018 GMC Sierra Denali have fully automatic climate control systems that work perfectly just like all of my previous GM vehicles AND they both provide real controls for their HVAC system so I don't have to play video games with their infotainment/nav systems in order to select specific climate control settings.

6. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

oemtech is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Charger Scat Pack- Auto/Corvette LS3-Auto

Quote Originally Posted by rsingl View Post
    I have no idea how and why GM screwed up something they have done so well for decades but they did so with the HVAC system in the ATS. I have owned numerous GM vehicles with automatic climate control since the late 1980s and the ATS is the only one with faulty operation. I haven't run into AC problems but for heat and defrost, depending upon the mood the system is in, I have to set commanded temperature to the upper 70s before it decides to add heat to a passenger cabin that is in the 40s and this is with a fully warmed up engine. I prefer keeping the passenger cabin cool (68 is perfect for me) but setting that temp in winter results in no heat even when a bottle of water is frozen in the cup holder after being parked outside for a few hours at a hotel. Other times the heater decides to cook the interior. With the ATS I often have to manually set the temperature and air delivery controls to force the automatic system to create the desired temperature which will be nothing close to what it would deliver with normal settings.

My 2016 Corvette and 2018 GMC Sierra Denali have fully automatic climate control systems that work perfectly just like all of my previous GM vehicles AND they both provide real controls for their HVAC system so I don't have to play video games with their infotainment/nav systems in order to select specific climate control settings.
    I went thru this when I had my ATS. Of course the dealer answer was either NTF of can not reproduce the problem. At first they didn't believe me. That was until I showed them a video with my temp probe in the vents. OBTW - My temp differential was as high 20°+ some times and I had to change the temp as much as 5°+ below the cool set point to get them back in sync.

My 08 Corvette HVAC auto climate control works as designed as does my the HVAC in the Scat. Love the front/rear vented seat feature in Scat especially on 100° days in Texas. Just wish I had it on the Corvette.

ATS4EVER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD

Thanks for responding. So if this is a common problem and they don't have a fix for it, isn't that considered to be a lemon car? Are there any lemon law lawyers on here? My car is still under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ATS4EVER View Post
    Thanks for responding. So if this is a common problem and they don't have a fix for it, isn't that considered to be a lemon car? Are there any lemon law lawyers on here? My car is still under warranty.
    Depends on what your state LL requirements are. GM will fight it... deep pockets and they will show engineering documents that say it is acceptable tolerances.

Ex - Corvette fuel tank leak. 05 to 13. Obvious design and material issue. Extended warranty that is not a recall.. just a TSB. But, unless you know about it you're screwed. 10 years or 100k IIRC. But, it has to fail 2 GM tests. $1200 if it is on your dime.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

RedCadi is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2016 CTS 2.0 AWD Luxury

Same with CTS. I will never understand how Cadillac forgot what worked for decades.
    RonBaker likes this.

Another example... Front seal leaking. GM calls it "SEEPAGE" and that is acceptable for GM but not me. It's not a leak until it drips.

OBTW - They fixed my under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
    Another example... Front seal leaking. GM calls it "SEEPAGE" and that is acceptable for GM but not me. It's not a leak until it drips.

OBTW - They fixed my under warranty.

Glad they honored the warranty for you. I often refer to my B2B tail light warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by RedCadi View Post
    Glad they honored the warranty for you. I often refer to my B2B tail light warranty.
    Only after I offered to park my car in the garage of my SA, the SA Mgr and the Shop Mgr after they took a good whiff under the hood when I brought it in for service.

RedCadi likes this.

Sydtron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD

I haven't had a run-too-hot yet, but since I had some repairs last summer (hit a deer) I get the blasts-ice-cold from the passenger vent about every other restart. From what I understand, they went from a physical sensor to a virtual sensor starting with the 2016's (I believe) - I wonder if my car got some updated software or a hardware version mish-mash that started causing the issue as I never had it in the years prior. Something to try, which temporarily fixes my issue, is to increase the temperature all the way up to "HI" and then all the way down to "LO", then back to whatever temperature you want - generally takes care of it until the next restart. Makes me wish for temp dials though, as holding the buttons takes like 10-15 seconds.
    RedCadi likes this.

RudyF6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....

Mine went hot on the driver's side a few times last summer. Usually cured with a restart - what a pita. Never happens at the dealership.
    ATS4EVER likes this.

Nothing happens at the dealership. That's the tail light portion of our B2B.
    jeffbazell1 and RudyF6 like this.

RudyF6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....

I'm sure they have a keyboard shortcut to enter "No problem found, unable to duplicate, yada yada..." on our repair orders.
    RedCadi and NewtPL36 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RudyF6 View Post
    I'm sure they have a keyboard shortcut to enter "No problem found, unable to duplicate, yada yada..." on our repair orders.
    . . .no code, functions as designed, they all do it. Trade it in on a new Cadillac.
    ATS4EVER and RudyF6 like this.

19. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in