AC produces hot air from the passenger side - ATS 2.0T 2016 - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, AC produces hot air from the passenger side - ATS 2.0T 2016 in Cadillac ATS Forums; Originally Posted by RedCadi . . .no code, functions as designed, they all do it. Trade it in on a ...
    RudyF6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....

Re: AC produces hot air from the passenger side - ATS 2.0T 2016

Quote Originally Posted by RedCadi View Post
    . . .no code, functions as designed, they all do it. Trade it in on a new Cadillac.

RedCadi likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

ATS4EVER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD

The dealer attempted to update the HVAC software to fix the issue in my car, but that didn't help at all. So when I took it back for the third and fourth time, they came back and gave me that paper from GM saying that "the car is working as designed and dealer should not attempt to fix", which is really sad. The paper is written for the 2013 and 2014 models but my car is a 2016. When I told that to the dealer, they told me to contact GM, and when I contacted GM, and asked them if they have something for 2016, they never answered me back. I'll post a pic of that paper on here so everyone can see

Here is what they gave me at the dealer from GM regarding this issue. As I said earlier, this paper mentions only 2013 and 2014 models, but my car is a 2016. Anyways, it is sad that GM designs cars to operate in such behavior. What kind of engineers GM or Cadillac have? That's so sad and very embarrassing. One thing for sure. They lost a future customer for sure and I will keep fighting them online and on social media and ruin their image for years to come.

IMG_0919 copy.jpg
    RedCadi likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

RedCadi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2016 CTS 2.0 AWD Luxury

I stopped by my indy last week to have the tires aired up. The tech and I were talking. I told him my car is useless on the highway. No giddyup. It has no power for passing or merging at speed. He said the way GM is engineering cars now he understands why they went bankrupt. We were talking as he started the car. He laughed and told me now it's shaking because you are standing next to me.

So much useless gismology and the basics are lacking.
    RonBaker likes this.

rsingl is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel

RedCadi,

The CTS with AWD adds some weight and the extra power transmission components in the AWD setup create some additional powertrain loss HOWEVER it should still have no issue with high speed passing or merging IF the 2.0T in it is healthy and sipping good quality premium fuel. Although that engine can safely run on lower octane fuel, it pulls a severe amount of timing which will show up at high engine load particularly when the intake air stream is hotter.

Make sure you have good fuel, the intake manifold pressure is in the expected range (does the 2.0T provide a "boost" gauge ?), and that the intercooler system is in good operating condition. Compare your car with published 0-60 times to see if it is within the expected range realizing that temperature and traction conditions have a lot to do with it and getting the published 0-60 times on a typical road isn't likely to happen. With the 2016 you may also be dealing with an 8 speed transmission that is biased too heavily for economy; using a performance setting of the driver mode control may help if that is the case, manually selecting the proper gear definitely would help with a poorly programmed transmission under those conditions.

RedCadi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2016 CTS 2.0 AWD Luxury

rsingl,

I use Shell premium in all the cars. There is a boost gauge display on the car. I took it to the dealer. Assistant service manager drove it on the highway to teach me how to drive the car. It bogged for him just like it does for me. He chose a stretch of highway out in the boonies. There was no traffic at that time.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by RedCadi View Post
    rsingl,

I use Shell premium in all the cars. There is a boost gauge display on the car. I took it to the dealer. Assistant service manager drove it on the highway to teach me how to drive the car. It bogged for him just like it does for me. He chose a stretch of highway out in the boonies. There was no traffic at that time.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your help.
    This reminded me of a similar situation I had with the dealer couple of weeks after I purchased my brand new Cadillac ATS. The transmission was clunking badly whenever I slow down from acceleration, so I took the car to the dealer and they tried to convince me that this is because the new transmission is trying to learn my driving habits or whatever, so couple weeks after, it kept clunking and it was not normal at all, so I took it back to the dealer and insisted they would fix. They asked me to drive it and show the manager what's wrong, so, me the the manager went for a drive and the minute I got on the road, it clunked so bad, it felt someone hit us from the back. Believe it or not, the manager was trying to blame my driving. I told him I have been driving for 15 years and drove more than 10 different cars, and this never happened with me before, so I asked him to drive, and sure enough, it clunked on his turn too. Long story short, they ended up replacing the transmission. What a piece of junk
    RonBaker and RedCadi like this.

Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel

ATS4EVER,

The funny thing about automatic transmissions is they used to perform smoothly for any driver. Now with "progress" we are having to adapt to transmission quirks instead of relying upon the transmission to behave in a normal manner. Many of the current crop of transmissions, including the GM 8 speeds, get really confused if you are rolling through a parking lot and apply power just as it prepares to downshift because of slower speed. Somehow we are expected to drive around the faults created by transmission programming that is largely designed to excel on the emissions dyno and EPA simulated mileage loop. I guess in your case the service manager expects you to shift into neutral when slowing.

There have been so many years now of transmissions with issues that maybe clunking, slipping, shuddering, jerking transmissions seem normal to the service managers

That HVAC tsb is a bad joke. The GM Mark of Excellence philosophy has turned into the "we designed it to be crappy from the start" mantra.
    oemtech, RonBaker and RedCadi like this.

RedCadi,

Wait until your dealer has a similar model/year vehicle on the lot and ask to drive it to see if it behaves the same way. I have found in the past with some GM vehicles that you have to roll into the throttle rather than rapidly depress it in order to have the best acceleration. That shouldn't be necessary but given the programming of some vehicles with the interaction between the torque requested via the throttle position and the programmed response of the ECM, a sudden sharp increase in throttle can cause a delay while the ECM and TCM try to figure out what to do. Engine torque is managed during transmission shifts and at the point of sharp throttle tip in the controllers are trying to decide whether it is appropriate to go with increased power or first drop into a lower gear before increasing power and the slight lag from an exhaust turbine driven supercharger adds to the "confusion". It may just be less than stellar programming further constrained by mileage and emissions criteria.
    Melze likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rsingl View Post
    ATS4EVER,

The funny thing about automatic transmissions is they used to perform smoothly for any driver. Now with "progress" we are having to adapt to transmission quirks instead of relying upon the transmission to behave in a normal manner. Many of the current crop of transmissions, including the GM 8 speeds, get really confused if you are rolling through a parking lot and apply power just as it prepares to downshift because of slower speed. Somehow we are expected to drive around the faults created by transmission programming that is largely designed to excel on the emissions dyno and EPA simulated mileage loop. I guess in your case the service manager expects you to shift into neutral when slowing.

There have been so many years now of transmissions with issues that maybe clunking, slipping, shuddering, jerking transmissions seem normal to the service managers

That HVAC tsb is a bad joke. The GM Mark of Excellence philosophy has turned into the "we designed it to be crappy from the start" mantra.
    The original transmission that came with the car was just simply bad. You couldn't drive the car without it clunking. Before replacing the transmission, the dealer kept the car for more than a week to test it and they concluded that the transmission cannot be fixed. Initially, they re-programmed it and reset everything, but that did not fix the issue, so they had to replace it.

Rich. is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATS4EVER View Post
    So yet another issue with this ATS car. Absolutely, the worst experience I have ever had with cars. GM and Cadillac suck big time. So my AC is synced on LO on both driver and passenger side. I get cold air on my driver side and hot air on the passenger side, but wait! LISTEN TO THIS! After I took the car to the Cadillac dealer to fix, they told me, after third attempt, that GM says not to fix because it is a normal behavior to experience +-12 degrees difference between driver side and passenger side and they gave me a pager saying the same with GM logo on it. Is this normal? does this sound normal to anyone here? It doesn't to me. It sound like they are trying to avoid fixing a defect in their product. Has anyone experienced anything like that before? Please let me know.

Also, I trust the difference in temperature exceeds 12 degrees at some occasions, but it is impossible for me to measure. Regardless, it does not make any sense that I am getting temp of 65 on my side and my passenger is getting 77 on their side. No car should operate like this. What .. is GM going backwards? This embarrassing! I am embarrassed every time I take this Cadillac anywhere.

I appreciate any info if someone else experience a similar situation. Thanks!
    This happened to me once about 2-3 years, i took it to my local mechanic and i believed he found a sensor that was reading crazy temps on the car... it was replaced and my computer was reset and I never had this issue again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich. View Post
    This happened to me once about 2-3 years, i took it to my local mechanic and i believed he found a sensor that was reading crazy temps on the car... it was replaced and my computer was reset and I never had this issue again.
    So, are you saying it was a faulty sensor that was causing this issue and by replacing it the problem was resolved? Why GM engineers don't know that? Do you remember how much it cost to fix it?

Rich. is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATS4EVER View Post
    So, are you saying it was a faulty sensor that was causing this issue and by replacing it the problem was resolved? Why GM engineers don't know that? Do you remember how much it cost to fix it?
    It was under $200.00 IIRC, but yes im pretty sure it was a sensor causing the problem. I can call my local mechanic to double check tomorrow if you want? He might still remember.

jeffbazell1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD

Same HVAC issues here. Only happened in winter though. I love my car but at the same time, my next car will be either a Honda or Toyota or Kia or perhaps a German make. It's too bad really, because I tried to give American carmakers a chance. Sorry, Uncle Sam, you really let me down. Again. But I must say my Lincoln Town Cars (I've had 4 in my life) never gave me any trouble.
    ATS4EVER likes this.

But it isn't just Cadillac and GM dealers that are a pain. Last Sunday I was mowing when one of the idler pulleys on my mower deck spit out its bearings. I figured no big deal, I will go into the big Deere dealership in town and pick up a replacement Monday morning and finish mowing but of course it couldn't be that simple. There have been 4 revisions of that part since I bought my tractor and 6' mid-mount deck back in 1995 and the dealership parts department wasn't entirely sure which combination of lower mount, pulley with integrated bearing, bolt, and shield are needed to work together out of the set of choices but they were sure they didn't have anything in stock that will work.

With all of the rain I didn't have a lot of time to let the lawn go and I was almost halfway through when the bearing went so 2.5 acres cut and 2.5 acres needing cutting look really bad together. I had been thinking about buying a smaller garden tractor for my daughter to use for some of the trim cutting and to go places where the bigger utility tractor won't comfortably go and I also wanted something safer for her than a tractor that weighs more than the ATS with its mid mount mower deck in place and a lot more than the ATS with the loader and rear counter weight which are often mounted. The dealer had a used but nicely maintained little Deere 325 and we came to a deal so that provides a backup to the 955 tractor.

In the meantime I found a new old stock original pulley with integral bearing via ebay which was shipped immediately but is now MIA somewhere in the postal tracking system. I had planned to rebuild the other pulley for a spare anyway at my leisure so it looks like the little tractor may mow the entire property one more time while I get the proper size bearing and clips to rebuild the original idler pulley and maybe the part I ordered will also show up. The little garden tractor does OK but I miss the power steering of the big tractor and its 6' deck powered by a conservatively rated diesel which maintains a much better mowing speed through heavy Spring grass; I expect mowing the entire area with the little guy will take closer to 4 hours than the under 2 that the big tractor takes and will burn a lot of gas in the process compared to about 1.5 gallons of diesel for its big brother.

One final rant: I bought the tractor right after the first revision to the commercial mowing deck and the idler pulley design was changed from greasable to sealed bearings and I changed the other idler 4 years ago while all of the sheave bearings (which have zerks), the gear case, and even the original belt are still in excellent condition and with less than 1,000 hours on the tractor and maybe 600 on the mower deck I bet the original version grease type idlers would have been fine also. And Deere parts pricing is like that of a German car; the list price for just the 6" idler pulley with integral bearing is $216.00 which I was willing to pay just to get it back in action immediately had the part been available.

18. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in